Wiche/wwami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sleight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten mixed information regarding this topic so I figured I would ask here to see if anyone knows any better. I am an Alaska resident and I know I am eligible for the WWAMI program at University of Washington. I was wondering if anyone knows if Alaska residents get the same preference as in-state residents or is it a step below that? I know that we get some kind of preference. Also, I thought we were part of the WICHE stuff but now all I am seeing is Montana and Wyoming. I am not sure what the deal is with this so if you know anything let me know! Thanks!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, each year there are certain number of seats reserved for each region/state.

~15ish will go to Alaskans, ~5 to idahoans(sp?), so on and so forth. You're basically competing with people from your own state, but for only a handful of spots. The rest are reserved for Wa residents, with 2-3/year going to total OOS'ers (Exclusive of the MD/PhD program, which has its own standards..)

It's not that great a deal, but I'm pretty sure the majority of med schools try to lend a hand as well. Anyway, it's WAY better than being completely OOS...

While I'm not a wwami resident, I attend undergrad at a school in a wwami state, so I hear about this program all the time. Basically, UW reeserved a set number of seats for students from each wwami state. I don't know exactly how many states that is..

Also, there might be some component involving doing your first year at a university in your home state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what WICHE is? I am fairly familiar with WWAMI but WICHE is where I am lost...

The WWAMI program is not just a small advantage. It is actually a big deal for students from these states. For example, I am an Idaho resident, these are the numbers from 2008 entering class.

Applied, 138
Interviewed, 91
Accepted, 20

While still competitive, better than a 20% acceptance rate is a pretty big deal when you don't have a state school.

I don't know about the other states, but Idaho has 20 seats saved.

Link
http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/sessioninfo/2008/Interim/medical1112_ramsey.pdf

Butac:
What school was that for? The only school I know that participates in WWAMI is UW...but I don't know that much

Butac:
What school was that for? The only school I know that participates in WWAMI is UW...but I don't know that much
I believe those were the stats for Idaho residents applying to UW, students from any and all universities. Its not so much done by school, the seats are reserved for Idaho residents.

Yeah, Cuadrado is right. It is the whole state of Idaho, and those numbers are for the entering class from Idaho into UW. Sorry, I guess if you don't know anything about the WWAMI program that is a little unclear. UW saves seats for the 4 states and of course Washington. Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho all do not have a state medical school, so we kick money to Washington to send our students there.

I am not attending a university in Idaho, but I am still a legal resident there and my family has lived there for several generations.

I am a little bummed because I talked to my advisor today about WICHE and she said that for Med school only Wyoming and Montana are eligible...but WICHE is for many professional schools (PT, OT, Pharm, etc) and Alaska is part of all of those...dang...I'm not getting any WICHE love :(. Atleast there is WWAMI :):)

Does anyone know how actually wiche works for those from the WYO? I am guessing prob not..but thought I'd ask! I've just heard some get it and some don't.

I have gotten mixed information regarding this topic so I figured I would ask here to see if anyone knows any better. I am an Alaska resident and I know I am eligible for the WWAMI program at University of Washington. I was wondering if anyone knows if Alaska residents get the same preference as in-state residents or is it a step below that? I know that we get some kind of preference. Also, I thought we were part of the WICHE stuff but now all I am seeing is Montana and Wyoming. I am not sure what the deal is with this so if you know anything let me know! Thanks!:confused:

There are 20 Alaskan WWAMI seats filled every year. There were about 90 who applied and 20 accepted. They give interviews to anyone with over a 3.5 gpa and 28 mcat...so essentially everyone who has a real chance

For accepted students..
Avg GPA: 3.69
MCAT avg: VR 10.5, BS 11.1, PS 10.7 (32-33 composite avg)
Writing Sample: Q

You will never find this on their site and probably no one will admit it...but they seem to favor older applicants. They love people in their 30's with families etc. They do pick their fair share of 22 yr old...but many come from out of state school students who kept their AK residency (like they will actually come back..hah). Probably only 2-3 of the 20 are actually from Alaska schools...makes tons of sense when the goal is to pick students who will practice in AK...

I am a little bummed because I talked to my advisor today about WICHE and she said that for Med school only Wyoming and Montana are eligible...but WICHE is for many professional schools (PT, OT, Pharm, etc) and Alaska is part of all of those...dang...I'm not getting any WICHE love :(. Atleast there is WWAMI :):)

Don't sweat it..its not like WWAMI is the only school that will take Alaskans. Make yourself a standout applicant and you can get into more than just wwami :)

As a fellow (nearly former, it's been seven years) Alaskan, and an OOS who kept his AK residence, the older-applicant bias seems pretty true - the only people I know who've gotten in were accepted their second time applying. I applied 2007, and my interviewers (and my rejection) gave me the distinct impression they want people who are dedicated to AK and plan to return and practice as soon as they finish school. Like every school, if you apply, you should be able to honestly elaborate on why you want to study there and why you'd fit. And your interviewers, for the AK seats, are Alaskan physicians, so they'll know what you're in for. Also, the first year is 9-5 classes with your 19 classmates in Anchorage - the wrinkle in the WWAMI program - which is a strong first step to demonstrating your dedication.

UNM participates in WICHE. Your stats need to be above the class averages for the last entering class and you need to apply EDP. I think they only reserve 2 slots for OOS students. I think that for most schools that participate in WICHE, you would have to apply EDP. I'm pretty sure that if your home state is a WICHE state, you can apply to any school that saves slots for the WICHE program, despite being told that it's only for Montana and Wyoming.

I'm originally from Guam and when my cousin came to NM under the student exchange program, she was asking the counselors all about the WICHE program (apparently it isn't just for med school admissions). Someone originally told her it was only for Wyoming, but when she finally asked someone who knew, it turned out that Guam fell under WICHE as well.

As a fellow (nearly former, it's been seven years) Alaskan, and an OOS who kept his AK residence, the older-applicant bias seems pretty true - the only people I know who've gotten in were accepted their second time applying. I applied 2007, and my interviewers (and my rejection) gave me the distinct impression they want people who are dedicated to AK and plan to return and practice as soon as they finish school. Like every school, if you apply, you should be able to honestly elaborate on why you want to study there and why you'd fit. And your interviewers, for the AK seats, are Alaskan physicians, so they'll know what you're in for. Also, the first year is 9-5 classes with your 19 classmates in Anchorage - the wrinkle in the WWAMI program - which is a strong first step to demonstrating your dedication.

Yep agree with all of this. The only people I know who got in first try were people from very good schools out of state....but why would someone who spent 40,000k./yr to go out of state care about saving money with WWAMI; why would they return to Alaska. Half at most of the WWAMI students come back to practice in AK...thats pretty bad in my opinion. Seems like the University of Alaska students are more likely to return than someone who's moved away for 4 yrs to the east coast to go to private school.. I once asked the program if they had stats comparing UA students vs. OOS students and they would not tell me...if the OOS students truely were better thats fine...but if the UA students match up closely to the OOS applicants I think theres something seriously wrong with only 2 of the 20 students coming from the U of Alaska....thoughts?

WWAMI rejected you? That's ridiculous...they'd be lucky to get someone with those stats. They'll be sorry they passed you up...but congrats on your acceptance!

Alaska21 is partly right, although I dont know so much about age but rather experience.... and who you know. Its very similar to GW, where 15k apply, 100 get in, you think how the hell do they get those 100? Well it has a lot to do with who you know.

Fortunately for us Alaskans, our state has now funded enough for 20 spots, this is new as of last time I applied in 07. They used to only take 10, and unless you had a parent from the program it was very hard to get in. Now with 20 spots, makes it a little more plausible.

Also is nice, that depending if you want to stay in AK or not, they have the two tracks, the Alaska track where you can do 3 years of your 4yr training in AK or in the original 1 year in Ak 3 yr in Wa.

Also unfortunate loop-hole is that in order to maintain only having to pay instate tuition, you would have to work in AK either 3 years rural or 5 years urban. Now NOTE that the postsecondary committe of Ak says this is only to cover the subsidized amount (i.e., Out of state tuition = 40000, In state = =19000, subsidized by state = 40000-19000 = 21000) and if you dont come back to AK you have to pay ALL of it back. Now I wouldnt doubt that AK will have full loan repayment, not just subsidized loan repayment programs. So instead if you worked in AK they would pay back ALL 40k of yearly tuition. Kinda something to think about. Or you could always come to where I am at the NIH and get full loan repayments back as well.

Its unfortunate that the WWAMI program doesnt give specific stats, because anything people post on here would be merely conjecture and anecdotal experience. You can say 90 apply and that might be, and the website says accum MCAT is X (which it does) but that is pretty vague, it doesnt specifically pertain to only Alaska WWAMI applicants, but to all WWAMI applicants.

Either way, for all Alaskans this SHOULD be an option, ffs its like applying to a clinical psych program not a typical medical school. ESPECIALLY since the recent numbers in the MSAR are off the charts, with the number of kids applying as OOS, you are hard pressed to get in. Better have a damned good statement and letters of rec, research, and/or clinical experience.

Best of luck to yall, this year will be an interesting one indeed...

J

I am applying a little later in the applications process than I'd like. How much do you all think I will be set back by applying in October to the Wwami program as an Idaho resident? What if I did well on the MCAT, scoring mid 30's or higher? Thanks so much for the input.

I believe you are also a candidate for WUE. You could go to Northern Arizona University, and a few others under that.

Doktor,

I don't think applying late will be too big of deal, because they do not even begin interviewing Idaho students until February or March. Low 30's on the MCAT will get you an interview, you just need to show them that you are a good fit for the program. I am starting at the Pullman/Moscow site this fall as an Idaho resident, and I applied with a low 30's MCAT and 3.9ish GPA.

Basically, each year there are certain number of seats reserved for each region/state.

~15ish will go to Alaskans, ~5 to idahoans(sp?), so on and so forth. You're basically competing with people from your own state, but for only a handful of spots. The rest are reserved for Wa residents, with 2-3/year going to total OOS'ers (Exclusive of the MD/PhD program, which has its own standards..)

It's not that great a deal, but I'm pretty sure the majority of med schools try to lend a hand as well. Anyway, it's WAY better than being completely OOS...

2-3 going to total OOS? hmmm. not what I was told.

Last edited: