Wierd question about the Heart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christian15213

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why is the pulmonary vein called a "vein" when it is dumping into the left atrium then aortic valve going to the aorta??? I mean once the blood leaves the lungs it is red and it is an artery... I just don't get the logic... furthermore, they do it again with the Pulmonary artery... which lol, at this point it has lost its O's and is blue and going to the lungs... aren't these names backwards???? :scared: :cool: :D :laugh: :smuggrin: LOL, I am not trying to change the world here but it seems a little goof to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Arteries carry blood AWAY from the heart.

Veins carry blood INTO the heart.

That is all you need to know (the DeOx, and Ox blood definition is not correct, that's why you are getting so confused).

Members don't see this ad :)
why is the pulmonary vein called a "vein" when it is dumping into the left atrium then aortic valve going to the aorta??? I mean once the blood leaves the lungs it is red and it is an artery... I just don't get the logic... furthermore, they do it again with the Pulmonary artery... which lol, at this point it has lost its O's and is blue and going to the lungs... aren't these names backwards???? :scared: :cool: :D :laugh: :smuggrin: LOL, I am not trying to change the world here but it seems a little goof to me.

A vein always carries blood back to the heart, oxygenated or not. An artery always carries blood away from the heart, oxygenated or not. I hope that helps.

A vein always carries blood back to the heart, oxygenated or not. An artery always carries blood away from the heart, oxygenated or not. I hope that helps.

yes... ok I feel like a *****... I just started reading this for my MCAT on EK and it was making me confused... but yea that clears it up quit nice. However my logic isn't totally usless it just means that in certain cases veins will be OXed and arteries will be DEOXed...

Thanks...

Um...I think I read somewhere that you can always tell an artery because it carries blood away from the heart. Can anyone tell me where I might have seen that? :confused:

I have a feeling the OP did not take biology while in UG.

This was in Biology? hmmmm perhaps anatomy and physiology but I don't think Bio taught this...

Vessels carrying blood to the heart are veins. Vessels carrying blood away from the heart are arteries. Blood goes from system into rt atrium to rt ventricle to pulmonary arteries (b/c away from heart). The blood then goes to lungs and then pulmonary veins (b/c towards heart) to left atrium to left ventricle to aorta and then system.

You were confused b/c although the blood leaving the lungs is oxygenated, it is not in an artery. Not all arteries are oxygenated nor are all veins deoxygenated. These are exceptions.

Now can somebody tell me why the coronary circulation fills during diastole instead of systole?

I just realized in the time it took me to type the post the OPs question was answered mult. times. I need to type faster.

thanks I got it... I knew I should of taken anatomy and physiology...

Members don't see this ad :)
Now can somebody tell me why the coronary circulation fills during diastole instead of systole?

well is this because distole is while the heart is relaxed thus producing a flow of blood into the heart...

Too much pressure in the vessels on the heart. It fills passively.

:thumbup:

This reminds me of the "Let's Pimp Each Other" thread on the clinical rotation threads.

What does it mean when somebody has "tombstones" on an ECG?

Which coronary vessel is referred to as the "widowmaker" and why?

:thumbup:

This reminds me of the "Let's Pimp Each Other" thread on the clinical rotation threads.

What does it mean when somebody has "tombstones" on an ECG?

Tombstone T-wave! I saw it happen once. It means MI. *waits for gold star*

I'll go out on a limb and say left ventricle, since it's the main pump for systemic circulation. I'll have to check my ECG books for tombstones, but I would think that that kind of QRST dysregulation indicates ventricular dysfunction (v. fib).

EDIT:

MI, huh? Well, I learned something today. ;)

ok what is wrong with my answer?

Blood is moving into the left ventricle, but by coronary circulation, I meant the first branch off of the aorta. During systole, blood is pushed into the aorta but it seemingly blows right past the coronary vessels because the heart muscle is under pressure. The coronaries are perfused by the afterload.

Tombstone T-wave! I saw it happen once. It means MI. *waits for gold star*

:D ST elevation = myocardial ischemia, AMI can lead to death. :thumbup:

I'll go out on a limb and say left ventricle, since it's the main pump for systemic circulation. I'll have to check my ECG books for tombstones, but I would think that that kind of QRST dysregulation indicates ventricular dysfunction (v. fib).

EDIT:

MI, huh? Well, I learned something today. ;)

And I think the widow maker is the left decending coronary artery. :confused:

Blood is moving into the left ventricle, but by coronary circulation, I meant the first branch off of the aorta. During systole, blood is pushed into the aorta but it seemingly blows right past the coronary vessels because the heart muscle is under pressure. The coronaries are perfused by the afterload.

I have no idea what you are talking about but... I will by tommorrow...

I have no idea what you are talking about but... I will by tommorrow...

No worries. I did my senior honors thesis in neonatal cardiology (stenting the ductus arteriosus in single ventricle defects is awsome!)

And I think the widow maker is the left decending coronary artery. :confused:

Could very well be; we didn't cover coronary pathophysiology very much in my undergraduate human phys. class, and I've been writing much more about metabolic disorders and the kidneys.

EDIT: I need to type faster. You both responded repeatedly in the time for me to write that.

Incidentally, BEING HUMBLE IS: getting pimped in cardiology. ;)

No worries. I did my senior honors thesis in neonatal cardiology (stenting the ductus arteriosus in single ventricle defects is awsome!)

I am shadowing an EP and I love it... I have down 8 hours with her for the past 6 weeks and I know nothing... so... I couldn't wait till I got to this section of the MCAT prep book so I could do some extra reading up... I wish I knew a lot of what is going on the machines she uses as well when she is doing ablations... But I don't think anyone here will have knowledge of that stuff just yet...

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about not knowing the answers to these questions. ;)

I haven't taken anat and phys at all yet so I really don't feel bad... but This one is going to be an awsome CArdiologist if she wants to be...

Where did you get that quote Quix?

Edit: I just wanted to add that you guys made me feel much better about the Brown waitlist I recieved today (and my husbands kind reply,"stay realistic")

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW .... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Exact quote from ExamKrackers... lecture 7 at the end of the first section...

"An artery carries blood away from the heart; a vein carries blood to the heart. DON"T be confused on Oxy blood with the definition for arteries. The pulmonary arteries contain the most deoxyied blood in the body." ahahahahahah

All I can say is this. At least my thought process was trying to figure it out instead of just reading and memorizing... Hope that counts for something one day besides stupid questions... :laugh: :love:

ew u nerds. jk.

circulation is funnest.

My favorite Bob Kelso quote (when asked to reminise to JD), "Once upon a time I don't like you."

I've always liked his Ted insults and the never-ending string of terrible things that happen to his wife but are only mentioned in passing.

EDIT:

Incidentally, I've had a crush on Gates McFadden since I was a youngin'.

I've always liked his Ted insults and the never-ending string of terrible things that happen to his wife but are only mentioned in passing.

Now she is paralyzed and blind. Oh, and I misquoted him. It was something like, "back in 1968 I don't like you." I should get out my DVDs.

Gates always reminded me of my mom.

I prepped for my Pitt interview by rewatching Season 4. :)

And it was the red hair and sexy voice. I'm a sucker for both, age difference be damned!

Ready for another one?

Four components of tetralogy of Fallot (use Wikipedia if you wanna)...

Ready for another one?

Four components of tetralogy of Fallot (use Wikipedia if you wanna)...

Okay, I read about this in Walk on Water, but that's about all I can recall. Was it only having one ventricle? Incomplete closure causing recirculation of unoxygenated blood, maybe? I don't remember. :(

All I remember is that they are blue babies. Thankfully I can google like a mo-fo:p

Tetralogy of Fallot has four key features. A ventricular septal defect (a hole between the ventricles) and many levels of obstruction from the right ventricle to the lungs (pulmonary stenosis) are the most important. Also, the aorta (major artery from the heart to the body) lies directly over the ventricular septal defect, and the right ventricle develops thickened muscle.
Because the aorta overrides the ventricular defect and there's pulmonary stenosis, blood from both ventricles (oxygen-rich and oxygen-poor) is pumped into the body. Sometimes the pulmonary valve is completely obstructed (pulmonary atresia).

What do you do/study Wizard of Oz...I like your questions. What exactly is clinical micro? See, I can ask questions too.

Enjoy the cardiology, folks. I'm off to bed (and must be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed tomorrow morning to run a debate tournament).

What do you do/study Wizard of Oz...I like your questions. What exactly is clinical micro? See, I can ask questions too.

I am a clinical microbiologist by night, medical student by day. I have a cardiac physiology exam Monday, so I'm throwing questions out there to give some pre-allo folks a view of the smallest point on the tip of the iceberg as far as med school material goes.

Click on my avatar for more info.

I am a clinical microbiologist by night, medical student by day. I have a cardiac physiology exam Monday, so I'm throwing questions out there to give some pre-allo folks a view of the smallest point on the tip of the iceberg as far as med school material goes.

My mom was a clinical microbiologist and contracted meningococcae from a specimine. She died of meningococcal septicemia. Sorry to bring the tread down.

wow, so you work as a med student... are you allowed to do that?:thumbup:

wow, so you work as a med student... are you allowed to do that?:thumbup:

:laugh: As much as the deans would like to control our lives, they know better than to mess with me regarding my decision. I don't conceal my job. It's pretty well-known that I work 10-30 hours/week, especially since I work for the primary teaching hospital that is on our campus.

I'm still waiting for that email to arrive from a dean that says, "We need to discuss you working." At that point, I'm just going to respond, "You can discuss this with my attorney." They have no legal basis to stop me from making a living, and my Stafford Loan eligibility will run out before I finish med school (already came in with 70K).

I don't really need the income, but it gives me access to publications; and it also draws a line in the sand between myself and the deans.

I'll probably quit during M2 when it's time to start studying for boards, then I'm thinking about moving to our clinical satellite campus where the deans are more reasonable.

Sorry to hijack.

yea, I think I am going to have to wait tables or something because I don't know how I am going to do it... I could sell my body on the streets, for science you know... hahahah that was a joke... but seriously yea... I bet a lot of people work.