Wilderness/Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgs212

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in application to med school, and I am ultimately interested in pursuing wilderness/field medicine and emergency medicine. I would appreciate some honest advice as to the quality of opportunities available to military doctors in this specialty, as I'm considering taking the HPSP offer. It seems to me that military medicine might be right up my alley and opportunities to practice the type of medicine I'm interested in would be especially abundant in military settings. Thanks for any help...

Members don't see this ad.

dgs212 said:
I am currently in application to med school, and I am ultimately interested in pursuing wilderness/field medicine and emergency medicine. I would appreciate some honest advice as to the quality of opportunities available to military doctors in this specialty, as I'm considering taking the HPSP offer. It seems to me that military medicine might be right up my alley and opportunities to practice the type of medicine I'm interested in would be especially abundant in military settings. Thanks for any help...

In the Navy you can work with the Marines as a GMO. You can travel with them on deployments and also work with them in the clinic. I went to a talk once about entemology (bug bites) for example. This can be a rewarding experience because the Marines are a loyal bunch. I'm sure the Army must have similar billets. This kind of thing is ideal for the young and single physician because it might be difficult on your family if you had to be away all the time.

Thanks for the info. Any Army/Air Force docs want to offer advice? I'm also keen to hear reasons why military medicine might NOT be the best option for someone interested in wilderness medicine...

Wilderness medicine, in itself, would be a parallel program of study to whatever you are doing. I recently attended Advanced Wilderness Life Support on a satellite program taught by the University of Utah...it's information was applicable to our military population and community due to our locations of bases and training sites, as well as some of the austere conditions that we are forced to work in.
However, as a "Primary field of Specialization" there is not a specific military program that I am aware of.

As far as the GMO in the Marines response...that availability is the same in all services. Get assigned to a unit, go do what they do, and take care of the troops.

PA