Wilderness & International Medicine Rotation In Central America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drkeithbrown

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to incurable insanity I am taking yet another group of resident physicians, medical students, and a few odds & sods to Belize in January. I have a few spots left so if anyone would like to join us you are most welcome to come experience the mud, crud, and occasional blood. Course dates are January 17-31, 2004.

This is a highly hands-on program with extensive practical work in the jungle, caves, and rivers. Emphasis is on practical real world patient assessment & minimal equipment interventions, improvised field medicine & patient rescue/extraction, wound repair, fluid resuscitation, fracture and dislocation reduction/care, basic medications, field lab stuff, and low tech disaster management ? the stuff that really saves lives in the real world. A day or two will be spent in the villages doing clinics.

Physicians (all with real world & Belize wilderness medical experience), a Paramedic instructor (& Director of rescue training for the Belize SAR team), and half a dozen assistant instructors from the Belize national SAR team are teaching this program. This is our eighth year teaching these programs.

Plus, you will have the opportunity to rappel 330? down into a Mayan ceremonial sinkhole, tube a river through half a dozen cave systems, or lots of other things. We will be spending at least one overnight in the jungle as well.

This is an upper level program, you need to have at least EMT-B + practical experience for this, prefer those with an ALS background. Most students are resident physicians and upper level med studs - but don't let that throw you - our Honor Grad from June's program is a high school math teacher who tagged along with her med stud husband. We have a lower level wilderness medical class, cave & jungle rescue, jungle survival and some other projects offered this next year as well - these support our village health work with the locals through a non-profit NGO we have set up.

This is an official rotation of the University of Nebraska School of Medicine and has been accepted for credit in both elective and/or required rotations by all schools that have had students participate.

For more info please e-mail me.

Keith
[email protected]

Dr. Keith Brown, FAAFP, ABFP
Assistant Prof. UNMC
Medical Director Belize Institute for Tropical & Wildernes Medicine
Medical Director, Belize National Cave & Wilderness Rescue Team

Do No Harm. Do Know Harm.

Members don't see this ad.

Due to some cancellations I have 1 female and 3 male spaces left, or if needed we can round up some additional beds. The program is very unique and the instructor team for this one is outstanding. Thanks to all the lower level students who inquired, stay in touch for the June program!

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't do january, but what's going on in june??

June is a similar program, geared more for 1/2 year med students, more time on advanced physical exam, procedures (airway, IV, wound repair, casting/splinting & reductions), trauma & medical issues. Less tropical medicine issues, disaster management, leadership, lab, dental stuff.

But I end up with students from all levels in the June programs due to their own rotation needs.

I will take names for a June interest list, but no registration 'till June.

Thanks,
Keith