Wildlife Vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jboeding

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Jacob, and I am a new member to SDN, but I have been creeping around the site for a year or two :p

I have wanted to become a vet since I could remember, and it still is true. But, I have found out that my only passion in the vet field would be in wildlife medicine and conservancy.

I was curious as to know what the job entails. Are the jobs that scarce? Will I constantly be traveling? I just want some more info.

I currently volunteer at a Wildlife rehab center. I like that place, but I am sure it would be completely different.

Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Despite my name, I'm also going for wildlife/conservation medicine; zoo med is more of a plan B for me. First of all wildlife/conservation medicine is a very broad area of many smaller areas. You have jobs in rehabilitation, conservation, wildlife diseases, one health, zoo med (many zoos send vets out to other countries as part of their conservation efforts), game reserve maintenance, ect. Jobs are rare, but increasing. There are actually more jobs out there than many people are aware of, however many are only able to pay enough for you to live comfortably, but minimally according to local standards. Regardless of location, pay usually isn't enough to cover a large loan payment. There are income based payment options, but now that they are talking about eliminating loan forgiveness programs, dragging your loan out is probably a bad idea.

I also volunteer at a wildlife rehab, but we don't have an on staff vet, and it's not really an interest of mine, so I can't offer much insight there.
Another option is zoo med. As I said before, they often have programs sending their vets to other countries to train staff/offer their expertise. These are arguably going to be the most competitive positions because they offer a chance at working with those "cool" animals while getting decent pay and all those perks of not living in a third world country. Zoo vet won't involve a lot of travel, but it will require a lot of hours and for you to be on call a lot. Many potential zoo vets don't pursue this area because they won't have as much time for family or a social life as they might like.

There's a lot more to be said about this area, but you'll just have to do some digging. Try looking around for wanted adds, they'll give you an idea of what your job will consist of and what they are looking for.
If you do decide you still want to pursue wildlife/conservation medicine you need to start looking at ways you can prepare and make your self competitive. Obviously you'll need to start planning how to eliminate or significantly reduce your debt after you graduate. Also consider a residency. There are a few wildlife focused residencies through the Wilds and White Oaks, the rest are regular zoos. Even if you don't want to pursue zoo med, the residencies will give you amazing training and make you more competitive for the few (read amazing dream jobs for the wildlife inclined) which offer decent pay and benefits.

It seems to me you may be more inclined to remain stateside, but if your thinking about working in another country, consider learning the language. Many jobs in South America or French Africa want you to have some working ability in Spanish/French; a select few even ask for fluent speakers and writers.

Future Zoo Vet...another Utah peep! Good to see you here on SDN :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Future Zoo Vet, it really helped!

How do you all feel about the Wildlife Vet v.s. Phd in Bio working the field?

That is a draw back for me, I like time for friends, families, and hobbies. In addition, MOST zoos are not my thing, the method behind the madness is mind-boggling (I did a report on SeaWorld).

The rehab center I work at does not have a vet either, and I would definitely not want to work their as a career (they help animals that well..... don't really need help).

Can you please elaborate on Wilds and White Oaks? Are they internships?

Also, I would love to travel to different countries to improve conservancy methods there (I am minoring in Spanish :D ).

Thanks!

I would be careful going into vet med with such a narrow focus - wildlife but not zoos or rehab centers seems quite limited to me. If you have a specific career goal, that's great, but the way vet med is right now it isn't exactly favorable to the unflexible. I have an acquaintance who traipses around Africa and works at their wildlife research centers (amazing Facebook pictures!) - that may be more up your alley and you don't need a DVM (and the huge debt load) to pursue that.

I Googled "white oaks wildlife" and got a few hits. Be proactive about getting your information :)

Redhead has a point, you need to really look into this before you go in deep. I'm in essentially the same boat, I'm not to enthusiastic about becoming a regular vet. It's not that I don't love cats and dogs, but conservation/endangered species is my calling. That said I have a plan c or d that I've thought deeply about and I know that if have to take those because the rest doesn't work out, I'll be okay with my decision. Many people are going to shocked to read this, but I'm even contemplating dropping the vet side of things and going strictly into research if after vet school it is impossible to go into the area I wish to. It's a heavy price to pay, but a reality I have to contend with if I'm serious about this.
I've also considered going the PhD rout instead of DVM, or even both. I've contacted a few schools to discuss the possibilities of a less traditional dual dvm/PhD through the wildlife/conservation departments rather than biomedical. Basically, when I asked it hadn't been done before and was more of a "well if you can get a prof. willing to take you on..." unfortunately I'm a little too far away from applying to start harassing admissions and professors.

Seriously look into the research side, for starts, your looking at zero debt if you play your cards right. You might even look into just a masters; many people working for conservation organizations have a masters only. I personally prefer a ph'd because you usually have to pay for a masters but PhD's get their masters along the way. Phd's are generally completely funded either by grants, teaching, or a combination. Don't look for conservation though, very few schools have endangered species/ wildlife departments. PhD's for that kind of research is usually through ecology departments. Here's a few links of schools, admittedly the cream of the crop in this area, but as potential vet students we at least have a few advantages in ways of grades and GRE's. http://www.columbia.edu/cu/e3b/phd_requirements.html http://www.ccwc.cornell.edu/ http://wfcb.ucdavis.edu/about/mission-statement.php there are other really good programs through Michigan state U., Florida state U., Utah state U, and many of the California schools really.

White oaks (florida) and the Wilds (ohio i think?) are zoos that are more like reserves. I know more about White Oaks than the Wilds, but W.O has large tracks of land and their collections are maintained in large herds like they might be found in the wild. The residencies through these two are still zoo residencies and you take the same round of exams as someone at a regular zoo. However, they're supposed to have a wildlife focus for obvious reasons. Also, the residency at W.O. is more of a rotation in a larger residency at Florida State U. and another local zoo.

Also, like Red Head said, be proactive about getting your information. I'm barely licking the frosting here, and there's a whole cake of information out there thats exciting, amazing, daunting, and sickening if you try to take it all in at once. (I get tired of old idioms, and this just fits so well since i'm eating cake :) ) There aren't going to be many "how to's" and those that are there are lacking, so skim them and do the research yourself. Look into internships. It will cost you a bit of money, especially if you go abroad where many have volunteer fees, but the insight is invaluable. Also, if you use google, just keep going past the junk. there are a lot of programs that are popping up these days offering chances to "raise" lions or save pandas for thousands a week. Basically, I've found $500 to $1000 a month to be about standard, although some are cheaper if your willing to stay longer. Also check out the uncommon veterinarian blog, soo interesting and very helpful.

Lab Vet sometimes I fell like the only Utahn on here! Maybe with the new school at USU there will be more of us soon! :D

Thank you so much for the insight! I have looked into wildlife vet quite a bit, but I guess I haven't really gone that deep, so I will try to do that (I have been really busy with school and such, as are all of you :D).

I will check out those resources you have supplied me with!

Thanks again everyone!

Best
- Jacob

I'd keep an open mind about what you might want to do. Hearing "I was 100% absolutely no-questions-asked positive I wanted to do X when I came into vet school, but then Y happened and now I want to be a Z vet" is a really, really, really common story.

I would be careful going into vet med with such a narrow focus - wildlife but not zoos or rehab centers seems quite limited to me. If you have a specific career goal, that's great, but the way vet med is right now it isn't exactly favorable to the unflexible. I have an acquaintance who traipses around Africa and works at their wildlife research centers (amazing Facebook pictures!) - that may be more up your alley and you don't need a DVM (and the huge debt load) to pursue that.

I Googled "white oaks wildlife" and got a few hits. Be proactive about getting your information :)

Hi TRH,
May I ask what your acquaintance does have, if not a DVM? I'm curious!

I'd keep an open mind about what you might want to do. Hearing "I was 100% absolutely no-questions-asked positive I wanted to do X when I came into vet school, but then Y happened and now I want to be a Z vet" is a really, really, really common story.

Definitely. I went from gung-ho exotics/wildlife to research to large animal ambulatory to pathology.

In the end, the market for wildlife/conservation vets is TINY. It's very competitive, probably the most competitive area of vet med, with very few spots (and not so great pay). Most wildlife and conservation groups are woefully underfunded and would rather pay a PhD than shell out for a DVM (who don't come out of vet school with a research degree anyway, and so much of conservation is research). Especially when you narrow it down to no rehab and no zoos....I can't think of many jobs that would want a DVM outside of those places. Again, so much of conservation outside of those areas has to do with research, and a DVM is not a research degree.

I'm not saying don't do it/do not pass Go/ do not collect $200, but realize that it is a very hard and unforgiving path.

White oaks (florida) and the Wilds (ohio i think?) are zoos that are more like reserves. I know more about White Oaks than the Wilds, but W.O has large tracks of land and their collections are maintained in large herds like they might be found in the wild. .

o8m3r9M.gif

In the end, the market for wildlife/conservation vets is TINY. It's very competitive, probably the most competitive area of vet med, with very few spots (and not so great pay). Most wildlife and conservation groups are woefully underfunded and would rather pay a PhD than shell out for a DVM (who don't come out of vet school with a research degree anyway, and so much of conservation is research). Especially when you narrow it down to no rehab and no zoos....I can't think of many jobs that would want a DVM outside of those places. Again, so much of conservation outside of those areas has to do with research, and a DVM is not a research degree.

There are a few free-ranging wildlife positions outside the NGOs - primarily in government (state wildlife vets, NOAA, USGS) and some that focus on wildlife research in an academic career. There have been several veterinary schools hiring for tenure-track positions in wildlife disease ecology or wildlife population health in the last few years. That said, everything that's been said about the competitiveness of the field is true. The fact that there's not a set path to get there makes it more difficult in some ways. Just a DVM is generally not enough, and many people seem to have a zoo residency/board certification or PhD in addition to the vet degree.

FWIW, I'm a 2012 vet school grad who is still trying to build a career working in conservation and wildlife medicine. I decided that the research route fit best for me, but went into small animal practice immediately after graduating in order to pay off student loans (and I was lucky to have relatively low debt). I'm currently applying for a few research fellowships and PhD programs and seeing what pans out. It's going to be a long road...

There are a few free-ranging wildlife positions outside the NGOs - primarily in government (state wildlife vets, NOAA, USGS) and some that focus on wildlife research in an academic career. There have been several veterinary schools hiring for tenure-track positions in wildlife disease ecology or wildlife population health in the last few years. That said, everything that's been said about the competitiveness of the field is true. The fact that there's not a set path to get there makes it more difficult in some ways. Just a DVM is generally not enough, and many people seem to have a zoo residency/board certification or PhD in addition to the vet degree.

FWIW, I'm a 2012 vet school grad who is still trying to build a career working in conservation and wildlife medicine. I decided that the research route fit best for me, but went into small animal practice immediately after graduating in order to pay off student loans (and I was lucky to have relatively low debt). I'm currently applying for a few research fellowships and PhD programs and seeing what pans out. It's going to be a long road...

Yes, good point that I failed to mention.

That's kind of what I was getting at the the research thing. A lot of positions are academic and govt, not so much clinical.

Edit - ah hah, and recent A&M grad I see. I just finished residency there. :) You may have rotated with me at some point. Small world.

Very possible - I think I met most of the path residents when I was there

Also check out the uncommon veterinarian blog, soo interesting and very helpful.

Thanks for the shout-out FutureZooVet!

It's true that the zoo/wildlife/conservation/OneHealth field is pretty small compared to many of the other possibilities as a veterinarian. But that doesn't mean that there aren't opportunities, and it's perfectly reasonable to expect that if you stick with this goal you can make it happen. It'll take a long time, and you probably will never be rich, but there are worse things in life.

Three of my podcast interviews are with wildlife veterinarians who are each working in very different areas of the field.

Jon Epstein is a field infectious disease researcher who is a world expert on emerging zoonotic diseases from bats:

Wildlife Veterinarian and Infectious Disease Researcher Dr. Jonathan Epstein

Mike Cranfield has a zoo background but is now co-director of the Gorilla Doctors, a veterinary organization working for mountain gorilla conservation:

Wildlife Veterinarian Dr. Mike Cranfield

Carlos Sanchez is a zoo veterinarian who also does a ton of training of other zoo and wildlife vets in Latin America:

Zoo & Wildlife Veterinarian Dr. Carlos Sanchez

Reactions: 1 user
Tiraka, about how long should one of those PhD's take? I know there's some variability, but lets just say things go smoothly, is it a traditional 6-7 years, or more like when you already have a masters and around 3-4 years?

Tiraka, about how long should one of those PhD's take? I know there's some variability, but lets just say things go smoothly, is it a traditional 6-7 years, or more like when you already have a masters and around 3-4 years?

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I am currently in a PhD program (Wildlife/Parasitology). From what I understand, it varies school to school and even department to department. For my school, if you have a DVM, MD, or Master's, then you must complete 64 credit hours with a majority of that being research. It's 96 hours if going straight into a PhD. For my department, I only need to take a minimum of 18 credit hours that are traditionally graded (A-F). I will be done with "classes" next fall. After the 64 credits have been completed (or when there are no less than 6 credits to complete), I can write my prelims. 4 written exams (one per committee member), then orals. After passing, I can defend my dissertation based on my research...which with my potential research project (determining the impact of Fascioloides magna on growth and development of white-tailed deer), will be about 3 years. I hope to defend in Fall 2016 or Spring 2017. This is assuming I only do my PhD and not a DVM/PhD combined program (which is my plan). Hope that provided a small bit of insight. :)

As epivetlove said, it varies pretty widely. I am applying for both European and US opportunities. In general, the European programs take 3-4 years because no coursework is required (funding for US citizens is a lot harder to come by, though). Most US programs are more like 5-6. If I could do it all over again, I would have applied for a combined program and gotten the same qualification in much less time, but this career path wasn't really on my radar back when I applied for vet school.