Wildlife

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyToro

Reaction score
I recently listened to Cheryl Scott’s interview on a podcast, about her career in wildlife (The Uncommon Veterinarian: Dr. Cheryl Scott | UC Davis Western Institute for Food Safety and Security). She highlights the role of externships, competitiveness and low pay of wildlife, but also the rewarding aspects of the major.

For those of you who are interested in, or are working in wildlife, what was your experience like in terms of getting into the wildlife field? Has it been similar/different from hers? Would love to get a better sense of the field and hear about any advice you have :)

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who are interested in, or are working in wildlife, what was your experience like in terms of getting into the wildlife field?
I was heavily interested in wildlife for a hot second since I was very involved in the Wildlife Medical Clinic at my school. I no longer am interested in making it a main part of my career for a couple reasons.

1. Money. While we're in this cause we like the science and medicine and animals (and blah blah blah), money pays the bills, particularly the student loans. As you mentioned, wildlife is not a lucrative career with a few notable exceptions. Its not feasible to pay out of state tuition loans on a wildlife salary as a general rule. And since we *do not* have the rest of our lives to pay off these loans and I have other things I want (family, house, ability Togo on vacay, etc), wildlife was not a financial possibility for me.

2. Jobs. They arent super common and are location dependent. My fiance wants to stay in the metro area we grew up, which heavily limits my career options.

Reactions: 1 users
I was heavily interested in wildlife for a hot second since I was very involved in the Wildlife Medical Clinic at my school. I no longer am interested in making it a main part of my career for a couple reasons.

1. Money. While we're in this cause we like the science and medicine and animals (and blah blah blah), money pays the bills, particularly the student loans. As you mentioned, wildlife is not a lucrative career with a few notable exceptions. Its not feasible to pay out of state tuition loans on a wildlife salary as a general rule. And since we *do not* have the rest of our lives to pay off these loans and I have other things I want (family, house, ability Togo on vacay, etc), wildlife was not a financial possibility for me.

2. Jobs. They arent super common and are location dependent. My fiance wants to stay in the metro area we grew up, which heavily limits my career options.
Thank you for sharing! I appreciate your thoughts and openness on the challenges for going into the field. It’s really helpful to hear all angles. I hadn’t really thought about the location aspect, so that was super helpful to hear from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Wildlife" is kind of a broad term. Population-level wildlife vets (like a state wildlife vet) have very different jobs from wildlife rehab vets, who have very different jobs from vets involved in wildlife research. I'm involved in the latter with the hopes of breaking into the clinical zoo world (a stable zoo job with the opportunity to do some wildlife field research is my dream, you know, shoot for the stars and all that). I went into vet school knowing I wanted to be involved in that area, so got involved in wildlife research between my first and second year of vet school. Continued with that same lab and am now working on a PhD with them. I also was very involved in basically every opportunity I could find during school, attended and presented at conferences, did zoo externships.

It's true pay is low and jobs are few in these fields. There isn't much to do about the pay tbh, a lot of times you're working for non-profits so it comes with the area (though it does vary depending on your exact position), but networking is huge for the competition aspect. If you talk to several wildlife and zoo vets you'll hear a lot of stories about how they happened to be in the right place at the right time and knew the right people. It's kind of fascinating all the different routes people take to get there :)

"Wildlife" is kind of a broad term. Population-level wildlife vets (like a state wildlife vet) have very different jobs from wildlife rehab vets, who have very different jobs from vets involved in wildlife research. I'm involved in the latter with the hopes of breaking into the clinical zoo world (a stable zoo job with the opportunity to do some wildlife field research is my dream, you know, shoot for the stars and all that). I went into vet school knowing I wanted to be involved in that area, so got involved in wildlife research between my first and second year of vet school. Continued with that same lab and am now working on a PhD with them. I also was very involved in basically every opportunity I could find during school, attended and presented at conferences, did zoo externships.

It's true pay is low and jobs are few in these fields. There isn't much to do about the pay tbh, a lot of times you're working for non-profits so it comes with the area (though it does vary depending on your exact position), but networking is huge for the competition aspect. If you talk to several wildlife and zoo vets you'll hear a lot of stories about how they happened to be in the right place at the right time and knew the right people. It's kind of fascinating all the different routes people take to get there :)
Not to hijack the thread, but I would love to hear more about your route! I imagine going the PhD route means you won’t be aiming for a residency- what made you decide to go for a PhD if your goal is clinical zoo? I’ve only ever heard about people going the residency or experiential routes (or just happening to fall into it) so this is super cool to me!

Not to hijack the thread, but I would love to hear more about your route! I imagine going the PhD route means you won’t be aiming for a residency- what made you decide to go for a PhD if your goal is clinical zoo? I’ve only ever heard about people going the residency or experiential routes (or just happening to fall into it) so this is super cool to me!

Thanks for sharing! That’s so interesting to hear! I’d also love to hear more about your decision to do a PhD. Did you spend any time doing clinical work or residency before deciding to do a PhD? In your research, is there much interaction with wildlife animals directly? I was also wondering how you got involved in wildlife research between your first and second year? Sorry for the overload of questions! It’s just so cool and interesting to hear about your path :)

I imagine going the PhD route means you won’t be aiming for a residency
Doesn't mean that actually ;)
PhD is really just a side path because I enjoy research, love my lab, wanted to finish some projects I was already involved in, and they offered. Hopefully it will help me with getting a residency but if it doesn't, I value the experience I'm getting and the contributions I'm making anyway! My plan is still to apply to specialty internships/residencies after I finish the PhD (and this is why I'm also working in a clinical setting part time).

Thanks for sharing! That’s so interesting to hear! I’d also love to hear more about your decision to do a PhD. Did you spend any time doing clinical work or residency before deciding to do a PhD? In your research, is there much interaction with wildlife animals directly? I was also wondering how you got involved in wildlife research between your first and second year? Sorry for the overload of questions! It’s just so cool and interesting to hear about your path :)
I went straight from vet school to the PhD, it's a dual program. As mentioned above I am also working in a clinic part time (small animal with a dash of exotics).

My school has a summer research program, I think a lot of vet schools do, where you apply and it's basically a match program between students and the available projects. Matched to a fun little amphibian project and stuck with the lab throughout the rest of school :) and yes, my research is macro-level infectious disease stuff so lots of interaction with the creatures. Mostly in lab but we do some field work every now and again.

Doesn't mean that actually ;)
PhD is really just a side path because I enjoy research, love my lab, wanted to finish some projects I was already involved in, and they offered. Hopefully it will help me with getting a residency but if it doesn't, I value the experience I'm getting and the contributions I'm making anyway! My plan is still to apply to specialty internships/residencies after I finish the PhD (and this is why I'm also working in a clinical setting part time).
Very cool, thank you for sharing!!

Reactions: 1 user
I went straight from vet school to the PhD, it's a dual program. As mentioned above I am also working in a clinic part time (small animal with a dash of exotics).

My school has a summer research program, I think a lot of vet schools do, where you apply and it's basically a match program between students and the available projects. Matched to a fun little amphibian project and stuck with the lab throughout the rest of school :) and yes, my research is macro-level infectious disease stuff so lots of interaction with the creatures. Mostly in lab but we do some field work every now and again.

That project sounds so cool! I'm hoping to go into a PhD after veterinary school as well but it will hopefully be tied with a lab animal residency! I'm in the process of the match currently. Little bit stressful but I've been very fortunate to have recevied several interviews so far so will be preparing for those lol :nailbiting: I'm never a good interviewer but I'll try my best. Any advice for those wanting to go into a PhD after vet school?

You mentioned the importance of networking. Do you mind sharing the different ways that most helped you to network in the field of wildlife? Thanks so much for your advice :)

You mentioned the importance of networking. Do you mind sharing the different ways that most helped you to network in the field of wildlife? Thanks so much for your advice :)
I would definitely look into joining one of the zoological veterinary associations (AAZV, AAWV, AAV, ARAV, AEMV, etc.) I know that AAZV has a very active student group and it allows you to connect with people in the field or hopefully your future colleagues. Attending conferences and finding ways to assist are a great way to create the luck and opportunities needed to get into the field.

I would definitely look into joining one of the zoological veterinary associations (AAZV, AAWV, AAV, ARAV, AEMV, etc.) I know that AAZV has a very active student group and it allows you to connect with people in the field or hopefully your future colleagues. Attending conferences and finding ways to assist are a great way to create the luck and opportunities needed to get into the field.
Thank you! That’s really helpful. Are there certain conferences that you found particular useful in attending? I imagine it is field specific. But in case you had some in mind, were there certain major conferences or smaller ones that you found worthwhile? Thanks so much again!

Thank you! That’s really helpful. Are there certain conferences that you found particular useful in attending? I imagine it is field specific. But in case you had some in mind, were there certain major conferences or smaller ones that you found worthwhile? Thanks so much again!
WDA (Wildlife Disease Association) is awesome and really welcoming to students. AAZV is a bit more...cutthroat on the student side but still enjoyable overall. I've also been to ExoticsCon and had a good time. That one is the combined conference for AAV, ARAV, and AEMV. They often have student volunteer positions for wet labs - I helped with an anesthesia lab a couple years ago, which was a really good experience.

That project sounds so cool! I'm hoping to go into a PhD after veterinary school as well but it will hopefully be tied with a lab animal residency! I'm in the process of the match currently. Little bit stressful but I've been very fortunate to have recevied several interviews so far so will be preparing for those lol :nailbiting: I'm never a good interviewer but I'll try my best. Any advice for those wanting to go into a PhD after vet school?
The kind of program you're looking into doing is pretty different from mine since I don't have a residency attached - I didn't have to go into the match, just had to apply to the PhD program while I was in vet school. I've also only been doing the PhD bit for about 6 months, so I'm still kind of figuring things out. I can say it's a lot of work, definitely not a regular/normal schedule, and at times feels like you're constantly putting out fires haha

to just reiterate - I've got no interest in exotics myself, but I know some students who have volunteered at rehab facilities/wildlife places that have a vet in once a week or whatever, but are normally staffed by techs and volunteers.

While it might be a wonderful idea to think "they only have a vet once a week! I can go back there and work the entire time!", its probably due to the fact that a. the rehab can't afford to staff a vet full time, and b. if they were to offer them F/T pay, it would be insultingly low/not enough to cover the loans + living expenses.

just food for thought. I initially came to vet school wanting to go into lab animal, and to be honest i'm suprised a lot of exotics people aren't interested in it/haven't considered this avenue. lots of husbandry and herd health stuff for all sorts of species, the opportunity to work with aquatics/pocket pets, NHP, and the kicker is the good pay/QOL. I was an extern at a place that had everything from bisons to bats under the care of the lab vets.

i dunno. maybe some real lab vets/exotics people will tell me otherwise, but I see some overlaps in the discipline.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! Any others with advice and considerations (outside of pay, which is a well known and important consideration)? Would love to hear any other stories about your journey into or away from wildlife as a field. Sounds like the paths can be quite varied! So interesting.

just food for thought. I initially came to vet school wanting to go into lab animal, and to be honest i'm suprised a lot of exotics people aren't interested in it/haven't considered this avenue. lots of husbandry and herd health stuff for all sorts of species, the opportunity to work with aquatics/pocket pets, NHP, and the kicker is the good pay/QOL. I was an extern at a place that had everything from bisons to bats under the care of the lab vets.

i dunno. maybe some real lab vets/exotics people will tell me otherwise, but I see some overlaps in the discipline.
You're not wrong :) Lots of "exotics" up in this field. While the settings and goals are often quite different from things like zoos, a lot of the medicine is the same.

to just reiterate - I've got no interest in exotics myself, but I know some students who have volunteered at rehab facilities/wildlife places that have a vet in once a week or whatever, but are normally staffed by techs and volunteers.

While it might be a wonderful idea to think "they only have a vet once a week! I can go back there and work the entire time!", its probably due to the fact that a. the rehab can't afford to staff a vet full time, and b. if they were to offer them F/T pay, it would be insultingly low/not enough to cover the loans + living expenses.

Overlaps in species for sure, but the goals are different. I think most people that get into wildlife are heavily invested in conservation work, which is not something you would be as directly involved in with a lab vet job. I think if it was just about the species you're working with It would be a more viable alternative for the people that want to do zoo and wildlife work!