Will a Masters Program in Biology help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

andrewmalanga

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in the process of applying to Brooklyn College's Graduate Biology program. The courses are quite similar to those of the basic sciences (e.g. genetics, biochemistry, micro, etc) but at a graduate level. I did quite well in a lot of my undergrad pre-reqs, but I also screwed up a number of times because of my lack of maturity at the time. It has been a while since undergrad. That said, if I were to go to school full-time, ace my classes, get some research under my belt, and create some new contacts, do you think this would be a worthy investment of my time and money for the purpose of attaining admissions into a good med school (i.e. one here the States... SUNY Downstate would be a dream)?
Please note, that I do not have any interest in attending Hunter's post-bac program. Brooklyn all the way.
 
What is your cumulative and science GPA? Do you have an MCAT score?

Generally, a standard masters will not improve your application, especially if you had low grades or a low MCAT; nor is a masters a bad thing--do it if you're really interested, but do not expect med schools to forgive your undergraduate work by getting a masters.

An SMP (Special Masters Program), on the other hand, is a different story--it is a program where you basically take 1st year medical classes (usually graded against medical students) to prove that you can succeed in medical school--an audition for med school, if you will.

Also, what was your major? A post-bacc is enormously more beneficial than a standard MS.