Will a misdemeanor keep me out of pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CapitanPenguin

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EDIT: Oh god, the title should say will a MISDEMEANOR keep me out of pharmacy school

I got into trouble recently. It's still ongoing in the court system but my lawyer worked out a deal with the state which would leave me with Electronic Harassment a Class B misdemeanor on my record. The pharmacy school I was accepted to runs a background check sometime in late Spring. Does anyone know if this will keep me out of school? I don't want to approach the school about it at the moment as technically I'm still charged with more than electronic harassment because the charge technically hasn't been reduced yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL, you're charged with a felony and waiting on it to be reduced, aren't you?
"A misdemeanor" is misleading, as class C can be a parking ticket.

You should be more worried about what the state board will say even if you do somehow get admitted.
 
EDIT: Oh god, the title should say will a MISDEMEANOR keep me out of pharmacy school

I got into trouble recently. It's still ongoing in the court system but my lawyer worked out a deal with the state which would leave me with Electronic Harassment a Class B misdemeanor on my record. The pharmacy school I was accepted to runs a background check sometime in late Spring. Does anyone know if this will keep me out of school? I don't want to approach the school about it at the moment as technically I'm still charged with more than electronic harassment because the charge technically hasn't been reduced yet.

If it's a felony...you will probably get your offer rescinded.
 
LOL, you're charged with a felony and waiting on it to be reduced, aren't you?
"A misdemeanor" is misleading, as class C can be a parking ticket.

You should be more worried about what the state board will say even if you do somehow get admitted.

Yes and I listed what the deal said the charge will be reduced to...
 
Last edited:
Hmmmm, what a pickle.

I imagine you'll have to report this to your state board of pharmacy. It might be worth contacting them now (if only for peace of mind) to get a sense of how they'll respond to it. They look at things like this on a case-by-case basis, but you might as well try to find out now rather than when you apply for your intern license.

Good luck to you.
 
UPDATE: So I contacted the school and asked what offenses disqualify you. They said when it comes to rescinding an offer they generally follow a state law that prohibits people with certain offenses (in my state it was mostly violent crimes, child-related, hard drugs, other hard felonies) from working in healthcare. Based on the law it looks like I will be fine. But they also said certain misdemeanors not on that list, and especially felonies, could make finding rotations harder.

I feel relieved. I will contact the state board later on when it's all over with.