Will a Pharm Tech degree count towards my bachelors? Before entering pharm school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1m2c3w

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating this year as a junior, as a 16 year old, I'll be 17 when I enter college. I am trying to sort everything out and what degree I should be getting. My options are limited as to where I can attend. It has to be driving distance. I would like to go to pharmacy school, but I need some guidance on how to get to that point.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm graduating this year as a junior, as a 16 year old, I'll be 17 when I enter college. I am trying to sort everything out and what degree I should be getting. My options are limited as to where I can attend. It has to be driving distance. I would like to go to pharmacy school, but I need some guidance on how to get to that point.
Pharmacy technician classes dont count towards a bachelor's degree. If distance matters, look up your nearest pharmacy school's prerequisites and start from there. You'll probably have to start by taking english, biology, and chemistry. Keep in mind that you will be taking a minimum of four chemistry courses as all schools require you to have organic 2 finished so I would advise to take general chemistry your first semester in college. Pharmacy school doesn't require a bachelors to apply so you can major in anything, good luck!

Pharmacy technician classes dont count towards a bachelor's degree. If distance matters, look up your nearest pharmacy school's prerequisites and start from there. You'll probably have to start by taking english, biology, and chemistry. Keep in mind that you will be taking a minimum of four chemistry courses as all schools require you to have organic 2 finished so I would advise to take general chemistry your first semester in college. Pharmacy school doesn't require a bachelors to apply so you can major in anything, good luck!

I agree with what atnguy says, although some schools do require a Bachelor's Degree.

But the best advice I can give you is to get good grades, and more specifically don't get any grades less than a C, since many schools don't accept those courses and you will have to retake the course.

A GPA of 3.4 or higher will greatly increase your chances of being admitted, but for sure have above a 3.0 GPA for your cumulative and your science GPA. The reason for this is because many of your pharmacy courses depend on you having a good foundation of knowledge from your undergrad courses.

To do well in your undergrad courses, you need to optimize your study skills and time management skills.

Good luck, and definitely reach out the admission office at the pharmacy school in the area. And if that is the school you definitely want to go to, I would suggest joining APhA as a technician member, so that you can start to make connections with the profession and possible with students from the school.