This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nccam098

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I applied for pharmacy school early decision and got interviewed by Roseman virtually, on November 9th and got invited to interview at Pacific U on December 10th on zoom, as well. Applied to WSU, but they're still reviewing my application because i'm missing one class, got a summer extension to finish it though. Was wondering if anyone else has applied and gotten interviews? If so, where? How has your experience been?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can speak personally on one of those universities I have interviewed with (plus I am affiliated with the student committee that sets up these interviews and discuss the ins and outs of said university).

In terms of accepting any interview after your early decision though (explaining in detail for readers who may not fully know what that means), the early decision application is a binding contract where, by signing the agreement, a student is committing to enroll at a first-choice institution if accepted with a complete plan to withdraw all applications to other schools. Do you anticipate attending Roseman and thus forfeit your other interviews?

If you haven't heard back from Roseman's decision in the next couple of weeks, I think its fair game to keep your other interviews in check -
That said, if you have specific questions with Pacific U (location, class size, rotation sites, school curriculum, interview process) just let me know so I can be more precise instead of generalized. Best of luck

I can speak personally on one of those universities I have interviewed with (plus I am affiliated with the student committee that sets up these interviews and discuss the ins and outs of said university).

In terms of accepting any interview after your early decision though (explaining in detail for readers who may not fully know what that means), the early decision application is a binding contract where, by signing the agreement, a student is committing to enroll at a first-choice institution if accepted with a complete plan to withdraw all applications to other schools. Do you anticipate attending Roseman and thus forfeit your other interviews?

If you haven't heard back from Roseman's decision in the next couple of weeks, I think its fair game to keep your other interviews in check -
That said, if you have specific questions with Pacific U (location, class size, rotation sites, school curriculum, interview process) just let me know so I can be more precise instead of generalized. Best of luck
Hi,

Sorry, my wording of early decision was wrong, I think the term I might be thinking of is priority decision. It's non binding and it's said to give the most consideration to students that apply before the deadline. Still haven't heard back from Roseman, so definitely keeping my options open!

I am interested in the interview process, different rotation sites of PacificU, and the demographic of the school; diversity is something that's important when I think about which schools I'd want to go to! Also, if you have any insight on their Pharmacy track, that'd be great. I'm assuming it's choosing a specific rotation of your interest? Please let me know, and thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Sorry, my wording of early decision was wrong, I think the term I might be thinking of is priority decision. It's non binding and it's said to give the most consideration to students that apply before the deadline. Still haven't heard back from Roseman, so definitely keeping my options open!

I am interested in the interview process, different rotation sites of PacificU, and the demographic of the school; diversity is something that's important when I think about which schools I'd want to go to! Also, if you have any insight on their Pharmacy track, that'd be great. I'm assuming it's choosing a specific rotation of your interest? Please let me know, and thank you!
1) Interview Process via Zoom:
You will receive an introductory speech by the Dean as well as a couple of the associate professors. They'll discuss about tuition costs, the accelerated three-year program, as well as the new education curriculum that was just implemented this semester with the current P1 students. You will then rotate as an "A", "B", or "C" group depending on how many are interviewing that day. Each group will be given a time slot that ranges from 30 - 45 minute phases: One of which is the opportunity to ask questions to current students. Another rotation segment is a group activity of which you will be put in teams to solve a critical problem and/or further orientation. Lastly, the interview process - typically done with one faculty member as well as a current PGY1 or 2 resident. The interview itself is a closed file interview (they literally know nothing about you or your academics). In times past you would write an essay about a predetermined question involving the pharmacy profession. It'll be timed, and you'll submit your responses at the end of that session (Not sure if they are going to be implementing that session this year or not).

2) Details of the Pharmacy Building and Location:
The School of Pharmacy is located in Hillsboro, OR - about a 15 minute drive east from the main university in Forest Grove and about 25 minutes west of Portland. Importantly, the MAX-Light Rail transportation service runs right through the campus for easy transportation from outside cities. You may contact the school for student discounts to use its services. The school is also surrounded by the Oregon Health and Science University Clinics (OHSU) across the road with a duplicate building (also across the road) that serves as the psychology department. Its also the main study lounge with multiple study rooms and an open lounging area to rest. This is where the lab is located if you wish to participate in the research track with a faculty member. The program itself is located on the 4th floor of a 5 story building called Creighton Hall. The first floor has 2 main areas plus a joint clinic called the Virginia Garcia Clinic which is catered to the Medicaid Hillsboro patient community. Within the first floor, you also have a small pharmacy and an optometry clinic joint on the backside of the building. The main attraction for students on the first floor is the Café for coffee, energy drinks, snacks, donuts, etc.

The second floor consist of a very small library that has study rooms, computers, and "quiet spaces" to study. You can rent books, computers, or even computer chargers if need be. Also located on the same floor is the Dental Hygiene Department. The third floor is the physical therapy & athletic training department. The fourth floor is the actual pharmacy classroom area where you'll be spending the majority of your time and lastly, the fifth floor is the physician assistant education program. You can either walk the stairs, or take the elevators to each floor of the building.

3) Details of the Pharmacy Department:
Two main classrooms exist next to each other with each class being able to hold about 105 students plus smaller study rooms that can fit about 8 students each. Two of these smaller group study rooms are located on each side of the classroom (surrounded by a glass wall and door) with two more study rooms that are joint between each main classroom. The secondary classroom replicates the first classroom and is meant for the second year students. There is also a mini-lab with two main laminar flow hoods to practice making IV admixtures (nothing fancy by any means). It is more or less an extra study room. The hallway of the floor has the restrooms and a small "lounge" with a couple of microwaves, a small fridge, a sink, and a small sitting area. Most students will rest here when given 10 to 15 minute breaks throughout the day.

4) Diversity:
My cohort consists of students (the majority) from the Oregon / Washington region with a handful of others coming out of California. Their is a few of us scattered throughout the U.S. with a variety of age groups. The majority are younger traditional students who just earned their bachelors (80% of students have a bachelors) and went straight to the program with a handful that did just the pre-pharm course work. On the other side of that, there is also a few of us nontraditional students doing career changes (30's and 40's) with families of our own. As for ethnicity, a good portion are Asians with families over-seas. A smaller group are native american, black, native alaskan, as well as some pacific islanders. We have about a 60/40 ratio of females to males. Class size starting out was around 105 students with now about 96 students in my soon to be graduating class (we picked up a handful of students that had been held back to graduate with my current class).

5) Rotations:
You are given a survey to rank each rotation site based on your interest: primary interest, secondary interest, and no interest. When it comes time to do your IPPE rotations, the school will do its best to accommodate the location but you need to be prepared to have transportation and to travel. When it comes time for APPEs, very few students get a longitudinal site. You'll need to prepare to travel all around Oregon and Washington. You'll have an opportunity to apply for out of state sites but you'll need to do additional paperwork and obtain additional licenses to do so. A lot of students are caught off guard on how much they may need to travel. You may write a note exclaiming why you want specific sites and how it correlates with your career projectory, but nothing is guaranteed. For those interested in research, they will do their best to place you near the campus on your "study block" on your final year of schooling since a main requirement on the research track is 6 weeks of lab work and a poster board presentation on site.

Hopefully this gives you some idea of what to expect.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Interview Process via Zoom:
You will receive an introductory speech by the Dean as well as a couple of the associate professors. They'll discuss about tuition costs, the accelerated three-year program, as well as the new education curriculum that was just implemented this semester with the current P1 students. You will then rotate as an "A", "B", or "C" group depending on how many are interviewing that day. Each group will be given a time slot to that ranges from 30 - 45 minute phases: One of which is the opportunity to ask questions to current students. Another rotation segment is a group activity of which you will be put in teams to solve a critical problem and/or further orientation. Lastly, the interview process - typically done with one faculty member as well as a current PGY1 or 2 resident. The interview itself is a closed file interview (they literally know nothing about you or your academics). In times past you would write an essay about a predetermined question involving the pharmacy profession. It'll be timed, and you'll submit your responses at the end of that session (Not sure if they are going to be implementing that session this year or not).

2) Details of the Pharmacy Building and Location:
The School of Pharmacy is located in Hillsboro, OR - about a 15 minute drive east from the main university in Forest Grove and about 25 minutes west of Portland. Importantly, the MAX-Light Rail transportation service runs right through the campus for easy transportation from outside cities. You may contact the school for student discounts to use its services. The school is also surrounded by the Oregon Health and Science University Clinics (OHSU) across the road with a duplicate building (also across the road) that serves as the psychology department. Its also the main study lounge with multiple study rooms and an open lounging area to rest. This is where the lab is located if you wish to participate in the research track with a faculty member. The program itself is located on the 4th floor of a 5 story building called Creighton Hall. The first floor has 2 main areas plus a joint clinic called the Virginia Garcia Clinic which is catered to the Medicaid Hillsboro patient community. Within the first floor, you also have a small pharmacy and an optometry clinic joint on the backside of the building. The main attraction for students on the first floor is the Café for coffee, energy drinks, snacks, donuts, etc.

The second floor consist of a very small library that has study rooms, computers, and "quiet spaces" to study. You can rent books, computers, or even computer chargers if need be. Also located on the same floor is the Dental Hygiene Department. The third floor is the physical therapy & athletic training department. The fourth floor is the actual pharmacy classroom area where you'll be spending the majority of your time and lastly, the fifth floor is the physician assistant education program. You can either walk the stairs, or take the elevators to each floor of the building.

3) Details of the Pharmacy Department:
Two main classrooms exist next to each other with each class being able to hold about 105 students plus smaller study rooms that can fit about 8 students each. Two of these smaller group study rooms are located on each side of the classroom (surrounded by a glass wall and door) with two more study rooms that are joint between each main classroom. The secondary classroom replicates the first classroom and is meant for the second year students. There is also a mini-lab with two main laminar flow hoods to practice making IV admixtures (nothing fancy by any means). It is more or less an extra study room. The hallway of the floor has the restrooms and a small "lounge" with a couple of microwaves, a small fridge, a sink, and a small sitting area. Most students will rest here when given 10 to 15 minute breaks throughout the day.

4) Diversity:
My cohort consists of students (the majority) from the Oregon / Washington region with a handful of others coming out of California. Their is a few of us scattered throughout the U.S. with a variety of age groups. The majority are younger traditional students who just earned their bachelors (80% of students have a bachelors) and went straight to the program with a handful that did just the pre-pharm course work. On the other side of that, there is also a few of us nontraditional students doing career changes (30's and 40's) with families of our own. As for ethnicity, a good portion are Asians with families over-seas. A smaller group are native american, black, native alaskan, as well as some pacific islanders. We have about a 60/40 ratio of females to males. Class size starting out was around 105 students with now about 96 students in my soon to be graduating class (we picked up a handful of students that had been held back to graduate with my current class).

5) Rotations:
You are given a survey to rank each rotation site based on your interest: primary interest, secondary interest, and no interest. When it comes time to do your IPPE rotations, the school will do its best to accommodate the location but you need to be prepared to have transportation and to travel. When it comes time for APPEs, very few students get a longitudinal site. You'll need to prepare to travel all around Oregon and Washington. You'll have an opportunity to apply for out of state sites but you'll need to do additional paperwork and obtain additional licenses to do so. A lot of students are caught off guard on how much they may need to travel. You may write a note exclaiming why you want specific sites and how it correlates with your career projectory, but nothing is guaranteed. For those interested in research, they will do their best to place you near the campus on your "study block" on your final year of schooling since a main requirement on the research track is 6 weeks of lab work and a poster board presentation on site.

Hopefully this gives you some idea of what to expect.
Thank you so much for your insight! I appreciate you taking the time to do such a detailed post. I'm excited to be interviewing with them soon and hoping that I'll be accepted :)