Will a second degree increase my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paik1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
So in order to fully understand my question, I think it would be necessary to share some background information about my stats.

I transferred 3 times (BU,CC, UMD), ogpa is close to a 2.9 and sgpa is around 2.6 with a mediocre DAT score (AA 19, TS 16/17, Verbal 24, PAT 21

I graduated w. a B.S. in Biology and I'm about 3 semesters shy of an English Degree w/ a 3.6gpa as an English major.

So right now I'm thinking about going back to school to get that second degree as well as take some upper level science courses to raise my overall gpa (And I know I definitely have to retake my DAT's and kill it). My question is would I have a competitive chance getting into dental school with that second degree if I raise my gpa past 3.0, get A's on those last science courses or would it be wiser going postbacc or master's program to show that I can handle science courses?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would go with whichever is cheaper, what's important is that you take some UD undergrad science courses at a 4-year. ADCOMs tend to care more about sGPA than cGPA, and 16/17 on TS definitely warrants a retake. Good luck on whichever route you decide to take.

I dont think another BS will help any, especially in english. However, if english is easy beans for you, then it might help increase your non science undergrad GPA and if you take those extra science classes while you work on it... I can see where your coming from. Like Doc said, masters or PhD in a science related field would help you the most. I applied with a BS and BA and MPH and post bac science classes and it's looking pretty beak this cycle. I am a first time applicant who didnt learn the usefulness of these forums until way late in the game. Apply early and pwn the DAT.