Will applying this year and then failing to match leave a record when you apply next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Need_Help_ASAP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking this is because I still haven't taken Step 2 yet- planning to take it this month. I know a lot of programs don't need your Step 2 for interviews. But I'm just wondering if I apply this weekend and fail to match in the end. Would it have an effect on me reapplying next year? Will programs see that I'm a reapplicant and flag me? If so, I might consider not applying this year and just apply next year so that I can be viewed as a first time applicant next year with my Step 2 scores ready.

Members don't see this ad.

It will be a red flag either way because in both scenarios, you are 1 year out of graduation (which is a red flag) and you will need to explain that.

Reactions: 1 user
I think reapplying is a bigger red flag...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think reapplying is a bigger red flag...
It will be a red flag either way because in both scenarios, you are 1 year out of graduation (which is a red flag) and you will need to explain that.
Yeah I understand both are red flags I'm just trying to figure out if reapplying as a fifth year is a bigger red flag than applying as a fifth year for the first time.

Are you an IMG? As a US grad it would be by far better to just go on and apply.

Yes, it's a red flag if you fail to match.

If you decide to hold off on applying this year, as long as you can find a way to delay graduation by doing a research year (or a masters or something), you'll be seen as a US senior (first time applicant) when you apply next cycle. Don't know how possible that will be because you're already a 4th year.

Yes, it's a red flag if you fail to match.

If you decide to hold off on applying this year, as long as you can find a way to delay graduation by doing a research year (or a masters or something), you'll be seen as a US senior (first time applicant) when you apply next cycle. Don't know how possible that will be because you're already a 4th year.
Will they know that I failed to match the year before? Like, I know they can see the gap in education but will they see on my application that I tried to match the year before?

Will they know that I failed to match the year before? Like, I know they can see the gap in education but will they see on my application that I tried to match the year before?
Yes the will...

Are you an IMG? As a US grad it would be by far better to just go on and apply.
Yes US grad. Let's just say hypothetically I applied and failed to match so would it have been better if I had just applied as a fifth year for the first time with my scores and everything ready?

Yes the will...
Let's just say I submitted ERAS this weekend but didn't participate in the match next year. Would I still be considered as failed to match? Would they still consider me as a reapplicant next year if I didn't participate in the match but submitted ERAS in September?

Submit your stuff. A year off is a red flag as is reapplying. They’re both not good options, submitting without level 2 and updating when your score is available is your best course here.

Submit your stuff. A year off is a red flag as is reapplying. They’re both not good options, submitting without level 2 and updating when your score is available is your best course here.
OP was worried about a late level 2! I received my CK score in late November and CS in January; still got plenty invites and matched.

The reason I'm asking this is because I still haven't taken Step 2 yet- planning to take it this month. I know a lot of programs don't need your Step 2 for interviews. But I'm just wondering if I apply this weekend and fail to match in the end. Would it have an effect on me reapplying next year? Will programs see that I'm a reapplicant and flag me? If so, I might consider not applying this year and just apply next year so that I can be viewed as a first time applicant next year with my Step 2 scores ready.

Why do you think you won't match? You said you are planning to take Step 2 this month..which means your score will be back before November..plenty of time before rank. What's the issue here?

No, there's no alrt that you've applied to the match before. That said, when I see a US grad who applies the year after they graduated, I assume they didnt match the prior year. Even people who "get another degree in that 5th year", I assume this was a plan B. But there's no documentation of such.

Usually the issue here is a poor step 1. An applicant has a poor S1 and thinks they will do much better on S2. So they consider waiting to apply until they have a S2 score to avoid an early rejection. But if S2 will be late enough, they will end up with a late app this cycle, or wait to apply for next year.

Reactions: 1 users
OP was worried about a late level 2! I received my CK score in late November and CS in January; still got plenty invites and matched.
I know. I’m telling him to submit his stuff and updating with step 2 later.