Medical Will being transgender affect my changes of getting into med school? Do I need to bring this up in interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few things i’m worried about that I needed to talk to someone about:

I’m transgender and i’m worried that it may affect my chances at entry into a medical college. How do I address that in interviews?

I’ve been placed on hold with 2 schools, one of which has sent rejections out to the same group that I interviewed with while the other doesn’t reject till April. Do people from the hold group ever get off hold?

I have what I would call a complex psychiatric history, having been diagnosed with PTSD and schizoaffective disorder bipolar type along with depression and anxiety that comes with that. I don’t believe this affects my competence for courses at this time as symptoms are well managed on medication. That being said I know you have to have a physical prior to matriculation. Could this prevent me matriculating?

For context for all of this: I’ve already had 4 interviews this year with one out of state rejection (PCOM Georgia), 2 holds (MUSC and USC), and one awaiting decision (DMU). I applied to 28 schools. I’ve recieved 3 rejections and I was unable to complete 3 secondaries as I did not realize they required a statistics prereq that I do not have. My MCAT was 511 and my GPA was 3.6 with significant life stress during that period. Additionally my background is rather abnormal as I’m a leukemia survivor, from an impoverished household, and was homeless at 18.

I have a few things i’m worried about that I needed to talk to someone about: I’m transgender and i’m worried that it may affect my chances at entry into a medical college. How do I address that in interviews?
I wouldn't address it. Nobody should bring it up, and you shouldn't have to either.

I’ve been placed on hold with 2 schools, one of which has sent rejections out to the same group that I interviewed with while the other doesn’t reject till April. Do people from the hold group ever get off hold?
Yes. It's impossible to know if you're at the top of the hold group (and thus very likely to get in) or near the bottom (and thus very unlikely).
I have what I would call a complex psychiatric history, having been diagnosed with PTSD and schizoaffective disorder bipolar type along with depression and anxiety that comes with that. I don’t believe this affects my competence for courses at this time as symptoms are well managed on medication. That being said I know you have to have a physical prior to matriculation. Could this prevent me matriculating?
To my knowledge, you shouldn't need a physical exam prior to matriculation. You're generally asked a question like "do you have any disabilities or medical conditions which would affect your ability to complete the program." If you can honestly say "no," I wouldn't worry about it.
For context for all of this: I’ve already had 4 interviews this year with one out of state rejection (PCOM Georgia), 2 holds (MUSC and USC), and one awaiting decision (DMU). I applied to 28 schools. I’ve recieved 3 rejections and I was unable to complete 3 secondaries as I did not realize they required a statistics prereq that I do not have. My MCAT was 511 and my GPA was 3.6 with significant life stress during that period. Additionally my background is rather abnormal as I’m a leukemia survivor, from an impoverished household, and was homeless at 18.
In summary, it actually sounds like you've had a reasonably successful interview season with multiple invites and likely a decent chance of acceptance. All of the questions you've brought up are understandable concerns, but I don't think you actually need to worry about them.

Members don't see this ad.

I applaud you on taking the chance. It is too difficult to know since I'm not sure what your in-state residency is and whether you have already heard back from those options. I don't know if you did any networking before applying, especially in identifying administrators and student organizations and structures that would support you in your adjustment to medical school. AMSA has been very vocal in its support for LGTBQIA+ applicants. It is not clear that you have received interview invitations, but it sounds like you have so hopefully mock interviews have helped you.

I don't know what you would have listed as disabilities which would be protected. Certainly your gender/sexual orientation would be protected information that by itself cannot exclude you. Your ability to technically complete the curriculum would be the only major concern, but you need to know that you have the support needed at that school where you interviewed.
I have actually received 4 interviews this cycle so far (1 rejection, 2 holds, 1 awaiting results) . I do believe that i'm able to meet the technical competencies required as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.