Will "Dropping out" of my 2nd degree negatively effect my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RAS1996

Reaction score
Hi. So I graduated a year ago. I am currently enrolling in classes to boost my GPA. However, I can't do a "typical" DIY post-bacc because financial aid only lets me take out loans if I enroll in a degree-seeking program. So I had to re-enroll as a new chemistry major. I was planning on just taking the classes I need in order to boost my GPA enough, and then drop out after that. Would this effect my chances of getting an interview? Ex. Would admissions look at my application and be like "Wow he signed up for a second degree and just left it? Seems like he won't be committed to medical school." Or would they consider why and still consider me for an interview? And should I tell them the real reason why I dropped out? Because in a way it seems like I'm "cheating" the system, and that might reflect poorly on me.

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro should be able to confirm that - he won't give a damn whether or not a second degree was finished, especially since you had financial reasons. As long as you took good classes and did well in them you're fine

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro should be able to confirm that - he won't give a damn whether or not a second degree was finished, especially since you had financial reasons. As long as you took good classes and did well in them you're fine
Ok I will tag him and thx for ur input

@Goro can you confirm this, and not sure if u can answer this, but could it be generalized to most other schools as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. So I graduated a year ago. I am currently enrolling in classes to boost my GPA. However, I can't do a "typical" DIY post-bacc because financial aid only lets me take out loans if I enroll in a degree-seeking program. So I had to re-enroll as a new chemistry major. I was planning on just taking the classes I need in order to boost my GPA enough, and then drop out after that. Would this effect my chances of getting an interview? Ex. Would admissions look at my application and be like "Wow he signed up for a second degree and just left it? Seems like he won't be committed to medical school." Or would they consider why and still consider me for an interview? And should I tell them the real reason why I dropped out? Because in a way it seems like I'm "cheating" the system, and that might reflect poorly on me.
Based upon what I would see on an AACOMAS app, we would have no way of knowing that you were in a second degree granting program. It would look like post-baccalaureate work.

And even if it was visible, I wouldn't care, because it would be obvious that you were doing reinvention.

Commitment issues are more of a concern when people enter into a professional degree program and then bail on it.

Wise @LunaOri @Angus Avagadro @Med Ed, @Moko, @Mr.Smile12 what say you???

Drop out, son. Knew a guy that dropped a PhD and a girl that dropped PharmD when they got into medical school

Reactions: 1 users