Will I be able to apply this next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petor16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my 2nd of 3 years for my biochem degree. I am taking the MCAT in March and I was wondering if I'll be able to apply or if I'll need to take a gap year no matter what score I get

Major: Biochemistry

cGPA: 3.744, not including High school CC courses, cGPA 3.958
sGPA: 3.776, not including High school CC courses, sGPA 3.956

MCAT: Not taken yet

State of Residence: MN, college in MO

Ethnicity: ORM, Male

Clinical Experience:
20 hrs EMT volunteering at a soccer tournament
250 hours as a Tech at a hospital, projecting 425 completed by the application

Research:
None, looking to get research this summer

Shadowing:
None, but already arranged to shadow once the hospital allows it

Nonclinical Volunteering:
80 hours at a food pantry, projecting 150 by application
50 hours volunteering with an EMT course

Other Extracurriculars:
300 hours Ultimate frisbee in college (last year, have played since middle school)
Leadership positions in both food pantry and ultimate frisbee

Other Employment:
55 hours tutoring Gen Chem 1
220 hours as camp assistant summer after high school

Not sure if this counts, but I worked at a cafe in high school and worked very little summer before college

Immediate family in medicine? (Y/N): N
⁠Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Emergency Medicine probably, but not set
⁠Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N
Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N, maybe in the future but not wanting to commit to that

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you get a good MCAT score you should be good to apply. The only real weakness in your application currently is the complete lack of research. If you end up getting a really high MCAT and want to aim for those top schools that emphasize research, then you may want to take a gap year and gain some experience. But if you want to just check the box a summer's worth of full-time research is probably enough.

Reactions: 1 user
I would take a year off and get more clinical/non-clinical/research hours. Applying to med schools is really expensive/rough, If I were you I would take my time to really buff up my experiences.

Reactions: 1 user