Will I Be Ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRock310

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so this next year is the one where i take my (in my opinion they are) hardest classes, organic chem & physics. im also planning on taking my MCATs next summer. i know everyone says APPLY EARLY!!! but this is what i was going to do:

i get done w/ school 2nd week of may. i was going to start filling out my AMCAS application right then and there, if not before, but i was going to wait until july to take MCATs. this is why...

i absolutely cannot study before. i do not have time. im not the type of person that can balance 5 science courses and have time to study for the MCAT in between. plus, i know myself, and i will retain it a lot better if i do it closer to the test date. so i was literally going to spend mid may-the test date in july (this is about 8 weeks of time) studying full time for the MCAT...treating it like a full time job...not working, and just studying for 8 hours a day. that way, id be able to study all i needed to, and wouldnt have to study during the school year. the only thing is, i am really nervous bc everyone says APPLY EARLY, but i don't think submitting my scores when my MCAT scores are in would be really late, would it? i really don't have a choice as to this matter...if i took the test in april/may/even june, i really don't think id do as well. i KNOW i wouldn't in april or may because i would still have my insane courseload from the semester.

i just want to know what you guys think, and if you have any advice for me...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa.....one thing at a time....you'll be just fine.

no. you will not be ok.

just kidding. well, if you're opting to do it, does it really matter what anyone has to say? i mean, it doesn't sound like a walk in the park but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to get where u want to go.

best of luck =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning on doing about the same thing but maybe taking mine in june. I'm sure it'll be okay. Some schools will even send secondaries after receiving just the AMCAS but no MCAT scores yet. Hopefully then that's the only thing you'll be waiting on.

Better to take the MCAT when you feel comfortable rather than just rushing out a score. A early application with a bad MCAT certainly won't help you.

The importance of applying early can kinda depend on what your numbers are. If your numbers are high enough, it wouldn't really matter how early you applied as long as it was within reason. If your numbers are more borderline then you want to give the adcom the most time to look at you.

So take the time to do the MCAT right so you're in the former group, not the latter.