Will I be screened out? :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmle0713

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Thanks for taking out the time to read this. I am an IMG requiring Visa . I graduated in 2016 from not America, and developed a severe chronic illness that left me bed bound and unable to function for a year.
I took Step 1 and Step 2 CK during my recovery phase but scored very low.
210, 215 Passed CS.

Then after self-help and complete recovery, I decided to get back to my career and started MPH at Boston and Co-authored a Paper on Mental Health at Harvard. I am currently a research intern at Harvard and President of 2 mental health/Community wellbeing organizations at BU. I took step 3 very recently and scored 254.

I am applying for FM and Psychiatry since I just wanna help people with chronic illnesses (either help them cope with mental health) or in general. I am so extremely passionate but I feel like I will be screened out due to my YOG and Step 1, 2 scores.

:( It's heartbreaking. Is there any possible way on earth that they can look beyond my step 1 and 2 and just read my personal statement or look at my Step 3? Since I am a NON US IMG, it's even harder. But I've come so far, don't wanna give up.

I would be grateful for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Bottom line--you just need to apply and see what happens.

For a non-US IMG with your stats, the match rate has been ~40% per charting outcomes for both of your specialties: Tableau Public . Of course, applicants are more than their stats; the applicants with a better supporting application make it into the top 40%, while those with other problems land in the bottom 60%. There are pluses (passed steps on 1st attempt, high step 3, publication) and minuses (particularly your YOG) to your application; there will be some programs where your YOG, visa status and scores will screen you out, and others where you stand a shot. Then whether or not they decide to give you an interview will just come down to the luck of who happens to review your app at any specific program--so your only path forward is to ensure that your app gets reviewed by the maximum number of programs who might find your story compelling.

Nobody can guarantee you that you're going to match, but I think you have a shot. You definitely need to at least give it a try and see what happens given everything you've done up to this point. If you can afford it, apply to every FM and psych program in the country that sponsors visas; if you need to be a little more selective, then review the list of current residents and exclude programs that don't have any FMGs on their roster. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Bottom line--you just need to apply and see what happens.

For a non-US IMG with your stats, the match rate has been ~40% per charting outcomes for both of your specialties: Tableau Public . Of course, applicants are more than their stats; the applicants with a better supporting application make it into the top 40%, while those with other problems land in the bottom 60%. There are pluses (passed steps on 1st attempt, high step 3, publication) and minuses (particularly your YOG) to your application; there will be some programs where your YOG, visa status and scores will screen you out, and others where you stand a shot. Then whether or not they decide to give you an interview will just come down to the luck of who happens to review your app at any specific program--so your only path forward is to ensure that your app gets reviewed by the maximum number of programs who might find your story compelling.

Nobody can guarantee you that you're going to match, but I think you have a shot. You definitely need to at least give it a try and see what happens given everything you've done up to this point. If you can afford it, apply to every FM and psych program in the country that sponsors visas; if you need to be a little more selective, then review the list of current residents and exclude programs that don't have any FMGs on their roster. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate it. I will be applying to 200+ programs given my chances. I have made a list of a few programs that perfectly align with my application. Do you think I should email them by August/September? I obviously don't want to ask something obvious, but to maybe just tell them I exist?

Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate it. I will be applying to 200+ programs given my chances. I have made a list of a few programs that perfectly align with my application. Do you think I should email them by August/September? I obviously don't want to ask something obvious, but to maybe just tell them I exist?
I don't think that will have any effect--I know you want to "do everything possible," but you also shouldn't annoy them. If you feel particularly strongly about their program you could consider writing a personalized personal statement for those programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that will have any effect--I know you want to "do everything possible," but you also shouldn't annoy them. If you feel particularly strongly about their program you could consider writing a personalized personal statement for those programs.

Oh thank you! That's an excellent suggestion!