Will I Flunk Out of Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mssopranogirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been seriously considering medicine but I've heard stories about people flunking out because they fail the exams...I know that medical school is a ton of work and memorization and I'm willing to put in the work. But people who study a ton do fail. I have a 3.93 GPA, always been an A student, but I know that that means practically nothing in medical school. I know there is no comparing undergrad to medical school... Just because I get A's now doesn't mean I can get through med school. I don't wanna get in just to find out that I can't do it. Yes, I know that the attrition rate is very low, but I'm not great at memorization. Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks!! I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

it kind of depends on the programs.. i've heard that most med schools really do try their hardest to have you pass and make it through their program. because if you flunk out of their program it'll look bad on their stats. think of it as an investment made by both parties and neither one wants to lose..

you've gotta have a bit more faith in yourself and in your abilities. if you've made through the application process and actually do get into med school. it goes to show that THEY believe in you. You should most certainly believe in yourself and your abilities.

best of luck!

I've been seriously considering medicine but I've heard stories about people flunking out because they fail the exams...I know that medical school is a ton of work and memorization and I'm willing to put in the work. But people who study a ton do fail. I have a 3.93 GPA, always been an A student, but I know that that means practically nothing in medical school. I know there is no comparing undergrad to medical school... Just because I get A's now doesn't mean I can get through med school. I don't wanna get in just to find out that I can't do it. Yes, I know that the attrition rate is very low, but I'm not great at memorization. Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks!! I appreciate it!
Where are you hearing about people flunking out? It's incredibly rare for someone to get accepted to a US med school and not graduate. I think something like 97% of the people who matriculate graduate. It's not as common as you think, so relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the responses so far. If you're accepted to a US medical school, chances are very good that you will not flunk out.

]First. This seems a bit trollish but I will overlook that.

Second. The MCAT is statistically proven to be a measure of future success in medical school. It can be beaten (low MCAT but an overahiever in medical school) just not often. That's why it's the most important selector for medical school's. Kick arse on the MCAT (if you havent already) and you have a "pretty good" indication of how you will do in medical school. If you're the norm that is..

Second. The MCAT is statistically proven to be a measure of future success in medical school. It can be beaten (low MCAT but an overahiever in medical school) just not often. That's why it's the most important selector for medical school's. Kick arse on the MCAT (if you havent already) and you have a "pretty good" indication of how you will do in medical school. If you're the norm that is..

I'm definitely not trolling...it was on the SDN boards that someone said they got dismissed from a US med school because they kept failing the exams. Apparently, they did quite well on the MCAT and had a high GPA. This person mentioned he/she wasn't good at memorization and I know I'm not great at it either. This is why I was concerned. Thanks for the input...

what's your major? if you're pulling a 3.9 in biology or something, I'd say you're probably better at memorizing than you think.

what's your major? if you're pulling a 3.9 in biology or something, I'd say you're probably better at memorizing than you think.

nope...Psychology. Granted, it was a BS and not a BA but still... My strengths lie in critical thinking and understanding concepts...not necessarily straight up memorization of tons and tons of information.

nope...Psychology. Granted, it was a BS and not a BA but still... My strengths lie in critical thinking and understanding concepts...not necessarily straight up memorization of tons and tons of information.

Psychology is pretty good for memorization. It's good because its all about taking theories and applying it to real life examples so that you can remember or better understand( abstract and critical thinking). I think it you'll be fine, in my opinion if you can get a A in experimental psychology design then your fine with memorization.

Most US allo schools try very very hard to keep you from failing out. The people who I've known who struggle usually have had some personal issues keeping them from having their heads in the game. If you fail tests tutoring and faculty are available to you. If you fail a class remediation is available to you. The worst case scenario is that you repeat a year (usually from failing >1 course in a year). If you have been admitted you should have the mental capacity to pass even if you have to utilize the above at some point. What will get in your way is personal stuff. Only you know if you are stable and focused enough to endeavor upon this journey. Medical school is like buying stock in yourself, there is a bit of a gamble but far less than other investments because you know what you're capable of.

Most US allo schools try very very hard to keep you from failing out. The people who I've known who struggle usually have had some personal issues keeping them from having their heads in the game. If you fail tests tutoring and faculty are available to you. If you fail a class remediation is available to you. The worst case scenario is that you repeat a year (usually from failing >1 course in a year). If you have been admitted you should have the mental capacity to pass even if you have to utilize the above at some point. What will get in your way is personal stuff. Only you know if you are stable and focused enough to endeavor upon this journey. Medical school is like buying stock in yourself, there is a bit of a gamble but far less than other investments because you know what you're capable of.

I like this analogy. No one can guarantee that you will not fail out. Given that medical school application process is very selective, very few people that are accepted fail out.

Q. Will I Flunk Out of Medical School?

A. Only time will tell....

Seriously tho, schools carefully screen to snsure that matriculants almost universally pass. There's tons of academic support available, just make sure to get help ASAP if u experience problems

Best of luck!!

You have to have confidence. I would find failing a class VERY difficult for me if I actually put in the time to study and attend class, take good notes, etc.

Agree with everything but i just wanted to say that everytime ive heard of someone failing out (never heard of this in person only on sdn) Its always been something like they are having major personal issues. They are depressed, homesick, no friends, lack of SO, etc etc. . . Failing is something i wouldnt worry about. You dont get into med school by accident theres a reason its so hard;). If some school thinks you have what it takes theres a 99% chance they are right about that:). As far as the whole mcat thing for one its only been shown that the bio and verbal have any correlation and even then its not that strong. Regardless dont worry is the point :)

I wouldn't be terrified of failing if you have a 3.93 and have always been an A student. It could happen, of course, but failing is far from the norm. Schools work hard to select students that will be able to handle the workload. If you get in, you should be able to handle it.

I'll try to keep myself from LOLing at how ******ed that statement is.

Med school isn't hard. At least not the first year...and probably the second year. The thing is that you're exposed to a large volume of information very quickly. It's overwhelming at first but gradually (and quickly) you adapt yourself to becoming a sponge. Succeeding is more of a function of your dedication to invest the time more than anything else. Try not to get caught up in the hype about how ridiculously hard med school is. It's true that you'll prolly go over more material in 3 weeks than you would've in 1 year of undergrad and that the week of the test (god forbid you have more than 1...at one point we had 3 major exams the same week!) sucks quite a bit but it's definitely manageable. Personally, I've been able to branch out a lot this past year...picked up paintballing, went on trips, and participated in other fun activities all the whiles getting 6-7 hours of sleep every night (realistically it ends up being 3-5 because I don't sleep well, but I know a few people that routinely sleep 9hrs) and being in the top 10 of my class of 192. Hope this helps relieve some of your anxiety. Send me a PM if you want to talk more.