Will I get in? Im still very young....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unit18

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im applying to UBC Pharmacy for next year and will be taking the PCAT in January. I am only 17 years old, just graduated high school.

I am an "A" student and confident that I can get 3.5+ GPA and 90+ Pcat
and have volunteered at an elderly persons center for about 50 hours and plan to volunteer at a pharmacy for a similar amount of time.

I was just wondering if there are any other people in my situation and what my chances are of getting accepted.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

unit18 said:
Im applying to UBC Pharmacy for next year and will be taking the PCAT in January. I am only 17 years old, just graduated high school.

and have volunteered at an elderly persons center for about 50 hours and plan to volunteer at a pharmacy for a similar amount of time.

I was just wondering if there are any other people in my situation and what my chances are of getting accepted.

Best of luck to you! Starting college is a very exciting time. Try not to get too caught up with the social aspects you forget about school and vice versa. If you just keep your eye on the goal then you will do well and get in. Chemistry classes, in my opinion, are the weed out ones. Try to do well in that. Any specific questions just ask.

It is good tp know your upbeat attitude.

However, may I chip in my 2-cents: you need to finish a certain hours of pre-pharm before you can apply.

There are some schools which don't take one-year-old PCAT score.

Take your time and don't stress out. You have a long, promising road ahead of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
unit18 said:

Cool a boy genious!

dabumba said:
It is good tp know your upbeat attitude.

However, may I chip in my 2-cents: you need to finish a certain hours of pre-pharm before you can apply.

There are some schools which don't take one-year-old PCAT score.

Take your time and don't stress out. You have a long, promising road ahead of you.

I agree. I think you're moving too fast. I'm not sure what schedule you are planning to have your first year of college but you have to be taking a massively huge load in order to be ready to take the PCAT the second semester of your freshmen year. You will need to have taken all your general sciences (for example: general chemistry, general biology), then human physiology, organic chemistry 1 & 2, calculus, etc...to do well on the PCAT. I would suggest taking your PCAT in October of your sophomore year. Most schools require 60+ hours of pre-reqs and I think you're only allowed 20 hrs max per semester during undergrad studies (depends on the school) so you will have, at the most, 40 hours after your first year. That won't be sufficient, unless you have a lot of concurrent hours or AP credits from HS. Don't rush yourself during your pre-reqs. Enjoy the undergrad college life while you can!

chill out man =) Now that you have some volunteer experience you'll be fine. Nothing we say here can change whether or not you get into pharmacy. Gotta believe in yourself. If you get those grades and that PCAT score you're fine. I learned the material for the PCAT over winter break (pay particular attention to organic chem b/c you only learn that in term 2)

UBC Pharmacy class 2010

I wish I knew what I wanted to be when I was 17. It wasn't until I was 21 that I decided Pharmacy was right for me, but by that time I have already screwed up most of my college grades because I didn't have the drive and ambition at that time.

Now my GPA is a mere 3.0'

PharmMnM said:
I wish I knew what I wanted to be when I was 17. It wasn't until I was 21 that I decided Pharmacy was right for me, but by that time I have already screwed up most of my college grades because I didn't have the drive and ambition at that time.

Now my GPA is a mere 3.0'

WOW, thanks for the input. My cousin in the US was accepted into a pharmacy program straight out of highschool, so expectations are quite high for me. I am under a considerable amount of pressure from my family and it has both positive and negative effects.

If any UBC students or recent applicants to UBC could share their experiences with me, I would greatly appeciate it. Thank you.

i wouldnt be too worried about volunteer experience. i had no pharmacy experience and only 36 hrs of hospital volunteering experience but got into the ubc pharm program easily this summer. as long as you have a decent gpa, good pcat, and dont completely bomb your interview, you should be competitive. good luck