Will I get into SUNY Downstate with these stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAOrtho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT 28Q
11 8 9

Screwed up on the verbal, actually thought I did much better, I dont want to retake until I finish my prereqs though. Never took physics, orgo 2, or bio labs.. Worked full time and did masters program while studying for MCAT.

GPA 3.73
sGPA , around 3.8

1.5 years as a medical records clerk in a prison in NY
2.5 years as an orthopedic physician assistant

references from chief of surgery and 3 orthopedic surgeons

about to finish masters of computer science from NYU - POLY

What are my chances of getting into SUNY downstate with this??..Should I apply early? Should i sacrifice a year, study for the MCAT now that I quit my job and have time to finish my prereqs, kill it, then reapply?\

Oh..and im 25 years old

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT 28Q
11 8 9

Screwed up on the verbal, actually thought I did much better, I dont want to retake until I finish my prereqs though. Never took physics, orgo 2, or bio labs.. Worked full time and did masters program while studying for MCAT.

GPA 3.73
sGPA , around 3.8

What are my chances of getting into SUNY downstate with this??..Should I apply early? Should i sacrifice a year, study for the MCAT now that I quit my job and have time to finish my prereqs, kill it, then reapply?\

Oh..and im 25 years old

I think your experience as a PA and your great LORs should definitely give you a chance at a number of medical schools. Just don't restrict yourself to one.

MCAT 28Q
11 8 9

GPA 3.73
sGPA , around 3.8

Oh..and im 25 years old
i think you shouldn't have taken the MCAT when underprepared, but I think if you break 30 you should be in good shape considering your experiences and references. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPAs look reasonably competitive. But, the big red flag is your MCAT score. You need at least 30 for admission into SUNY Downstate and the majority of remaining allopathic medical schools. Do you have any substantial leadership/clinical experiences besides the ones you already mentioned? Otherwise, there is really nothing to make you stand out. So, don't be let down even if you don't get in this year. But, you do have a good shot at DO schools. Have you applied to any btw?

MCAT 28Q
11 8 9

GPA 3.73
sGPA , around 3.8

Oh..and im 25 years old

Retake MCATs, get >30. You're so close, I don't think you need to delay a year to get that. I think with a >30 and your EC's you can get into an Allopathic school, specifically SUNY DS.

Your GPAs look reasonably competitive. But, the big red flag is your MCAT score. You need at least 30 for admission into SUNY Downstate and the majority of remaining allopathic medical schools. Do you have any substantial leadership/clinical experiences besides the ones you already mentioned? Otherwise, there is really nothing to make you stand out. So, don't be let down even if you don't get in this year. But, you do have a good shot at DO schools. Have you applied to any btw?

How exactly does 2.5 years as a PA not stick out to you????? Surgery PAs often take the patient's preop history, write the post-op orders and follow up on the patient on the floor, and also assist in the OR. An employed PA does a heckuva lot more than medical students, and in some cases more than the residents if they have good rapport with the surgeon(s). Most med school applicants have what experience? Shadowing around an attending, doing nothing; working as a hospital volunteer/orderly; or some BS international health experience where again they actually did nothing? If this guy is willing to apply broadly, he will get in somewhere with the 28 MCAT. NYC in general is competitive, and even SUNY schools I think have an MCAT average over 30, so it would be tough...But then again, an average is an average, meaning some people will have 35s, others will have 27s. If he wants to take the MCAT over again to get into a better school, by all means he should. But I have no idea why you would be belittling 2.5 years as a PA as not being something to set the person apart. EMT, nursing and PA are pretty much the best kind of clinical experience you can have before applying to med school, and of those, PA is most impressive.

Now I will say this, I don't know how impressive his GPA is, because it depends on what college he went to. Did you go to NYU? Polytech? It makes a huge difference, obviously. If you're not from a reputed college, I would advise you to increase that MCAT score by 3-4 points before applying.

I went to St. John's University, the last 2 years in the PA program itself, was a 4.0 Flat. Thats the anatomy, pharmacology and stuff...Im thinking I just apply to 3-4 schools early admission, Upstate,Downstate,UMDNJ, and one more..THen if I dont get in, retake the MCAT only after I finish my science courses...Not going to go in unprepared again, i've learned my lesson...and one of the surgeons is a Downstate alumni , whose going to write my rec. the other, chief of surgery, owns a med school out of the country. I mean, 2 points are really going to stop me?? :(

I don't know where the "belittling" part came from, but you missed my point. I do agree that being a PA is a much better clinical experience than some random physician shadowing and other pitfalls many pre-meds succumb to. In the case of OP, his PA experience can definitely help compensate his less-than-stellar MCAT score, but unfortunately that's as far as it can help. Even if an applicant has the most awesome clinical experience, it can truly set him apart only when the numbers are reasonably competitive. Also, the quality of his undergraduate school matters too. So, considering the OP's whole package, there is really nothing extraordinary to make him stand out. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's just the reality. I do think if he can raise his MCAT scores by 2+, I say he has a decnt chance of getting into an allopathic school. Good luck!

How exactly does 2.5 years as a PA not stick out to you????? Surgery PAs often take the patient's preop history, write the post-op orders and follow up on the patient on the floor, and also assist in the OR. An employed PA does a heckuva lot more than medical students, and in some cases more than the residents if they have good rapport with the surgeon(s). Most med school applicants have what experience? Shadowing around an attending, doing nothing; working as a hospital volunteer/orderly; or some BS international health experience where again they actually did nothing? If this guy is willing to apply broadly, he will get in somewhere with the 28 MCAT. NYC in general is competitive, and even SUNY schools I think have an MCAT average over 30, so it would be tough...But then again, an average is an average, meaning some people will have 35s, others will have 27s. If he wants to take the MCAT over again to get into a better school, by all means he should. But I have no idea why you would be belittling 2.5 years as a PA as not being something to set the person apart. EMT, nursing and PA are pretty much the best kind of clinical experience you can have before applying to med school, and of those, PA is most impressive.

Now I will say this, I don't know how impressive his GPA is, because it depends on what college he went to. Did you go to NYU? Polytech? It makes a huge difference, obviously. If you're not from a reputed college, I would advise you to increase that MCAT score by 3-4 points before applying.

It is very variable and depends on a lot of factors. I have a 33 R, 3.7 GPA, and have been working for 3 years as a research coordinator (seeing 30+ patients/ month). I was put on hold for spring review status post interview at Downstate but was accepted to Stony Brook.

Honestly, after going through this process I think the most important thing is applying very early. I think your stats are in range for Downstate, MCAT could be higher but definately within reach.

Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better, how early should I apply? 2 points aint gonna stop me, and if it does, i'll just retake...part of being a doctor is perseverance...plain and straight..you think during surgery you can give up? the same with life...keep on chugging.

I would submit the AMCAS primary in June/ July, as soon as it is available and secondaried by August. The key is: 1. choose your schools now so you are ready 2. Start asking for reccommendations 3. start writing your personal statement so you are ready to submit.

It is very variable and depends on a lot of factors. I have a 33 R, 3.7 GPA, and have been working for 3 years as a research coordinator (seeing 30+ patients/ month). I was put on hold for spring review status post interview at Downstate but was accepted to Stony Brook.

Honestly, after going through this process I think the most important thing is applying very early. I think your stats are in range for Downstate, MCAT could be higher but definately within reach.

Are you a NY resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
When are you finished with your courses? If you are finished with your requirements by the summer, I would say you need to take the MCATs again.

study april, may, and june and retake it. apply this cycle. nothing worse than waiting around another year. nothing!

hey all,

like pa ortho, i am in a similar position. 22 yrs old recent graduate of st johns pa program may 2010 (gpa 3.74). currently studying for the mcat, set to take the test august 2011. i also work full time in general surgery for the last 7 months-present.

dream school is suny downstate. i am having lots of difficulty with basic sciences as i study for the mcat w kaplan. im great in medicine, but chem/orgo/physics is just not my thing. im realistic that i may not reach my target score on the mcat 30 or >. if i dont get above a 30 should i still apply for this cycle or postpone apps n retake the test next year?

thanks! all advice would be appreciated!

hey all,

like pa ortho, i am in a similar position. 22 yrs old recent graduate of st johns pa program may 2010 (gpa 3.74). currently studying for the mcat, set to take the test august 2011. i also work full time in general surgery for the last 7 months-present.

dream school is suny downstate. i am having lots of difficulty with basic sciences as i study for the mcat w kaplan. im great in medicine, but chem/orgo/physics is just not my thing. im realistic that i may not reach my target score on the mcat 30 or >. if i dont get above a 30 should i still apply for this cycle or postpone apps n retake the test next year?

Are you a NY resident or not? ISers are given preference and your chances are significantly higher.

hey all,

Lot's of St. John's students here

I'm in the StJ Pharmacy program! What a coincidence, y'all...

Edit,

I actually may know you, lol.