Will I need an away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm825

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a late comer to anesthesiology. I just did a 3-week third year elective and like it a lot.

About me:

From New England. In med school in California.

Step 1- 234

1 poster and 1 oral presentation in non-anesthesiology fields

High pass in everything but FM which I got honors in. IM is coming up.

Don't really know who I'd get my letters from at this point. I'm going to work hard in IM, and try to get one from my attending there. I can get an anesthesia one during my fourth year rotation this summer. I think my FM attending would also write me one.

I don't really have any geographical preference as long as it's a major city.

How competitive is my application, and do I need an away rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good application. Given that you don’t have any geographic preference and are coming from the west coast - you likely don’t need any away rotations. Aways aren’t really all that common in Anesthesiology. I would only recommend it if there was a particular program or region you’re very interested in. As far as things going forward, try to secure at least but preferably 2 anesthesia LORs during your AI. Ideally you should get them from attendings who are known outside of your geographic area (your PD and chair at a minimum will be well known). Your step 1 score is good but try to really destroy step 2.

There are some relatively non-competitive programs within almost all the major cities if you truly have no geographical preference. With no red flags, you would likely be fine as long as you apply broadly. Agree with wolfpack. Aways are geared towards if you have a particular program that you want to match at.

Not needed, unless there's one program you *need* to be at.