Will it be too late to start DO application now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stemingen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I start now, transcript mailing and verification should take 6-7 weeks. It will be close to mid Oct for me to submit my application. Will it be too late for DO programs? I know MSUCOM urges serious applicants to submit by early Sept. And most programs want to fill in their class by December.

My profile:
immigrant with permanent resident card , ESL; DIY postbac premed @ CC GPA 4.0; MCAT 33 (Verbal =8); advanced degree, decent community and hospital volunteering experience,rich research experience, have shadowed 3 M.D. so far.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I start now, transcript mailing and verification should take 6-7 weeks. It will be close to mid Oct for me to submit my application. Will it be too late for DO programs? I know MSUCOM urges serious applicants to submit by early Sept. And most programs want to fill in their class by December.

My profile:
immigrant with permanent resident card , ESL; DIY postbac premed @ CC GPA 4.0; MCAT 33 (Verbal =8); advanced degree, decent community and hospital volunteering experience,rich research experience, have shadowed 3 M.D. so far.

Define "start" are you starting from scratch with no PS and no EC paragraphs? Because those can take weeks to write, rewrite and polish. But with your stats you should be fine at most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Define "start" are you starting from scratch with no PS and no EC paragraphs? Because those can take weeks to write, rewrite and polish. But with your stats you should be fine at most schools.

Thanks for your comment!

I forgot to mention that I have completed MD program applications just now, so I have majority of the material. I need to chop down my PS a little bit, but it should be easy. My reference letters are ready to go as well.

Thanks for your comment!

I forgot to mention that I have completed MD program applications just now, so I have majority of the material. I need to chop down my PS a little bit, but it should be easy. My reference letters are ready to go as well.
Yeah then definitely fire away. Best of luck to you.

My profile:

Which is why is it good to look at the verification thread. The ones who have submitted in July have had their stuff verified in 3-4 weeks. The process seems to be getting faster (last year took longer), so I doubt it will take 6-7 and believe it will be more like 4 weeks.

Which is why is it good to look at the verification thread. The ones who have submitted in July have had their stuff verified in 3-4 weeks. The process seems to be getting faster (last year took longer), so I doubt it will take 6-7 and believe it will be more like 4 weeks.
I think they were figuring in the time it would take to have their transcripts shipped and processed.

I think they were figuring in the time it would take to have their transcripts shipped and processed.

Yeah you're right forgot that part. Probably in the realm of 5-6 weeks.