Will it look weird "transferring" to another school for my last semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will transferring for last semester (12-16 credits) look odd when applying to medical schools?

• Nah

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yarp

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Monkeys4Lyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(obligatory sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this)

Maybe transfer isn't the right word but I guess I would be an "intercampus student" at a "sister university." It would be to just finish up my last 12 credits before I graduate. I actually might be able to take a few classes online at original campus and a few at the new campus but I am still trying to figure this out.

Why I might need to:
-save money (b/c I would live at home)
-can't find a short term lease (6 months or less) near my regular university
-remaining courses could be easier here

My question:
Will this look odd when I apply to medical schools, either osteopathic or allopathic, (which might be this cycle if I make it in time or next year at the latest)?

Thanks in advance. This has kinda been eating at me for a while and distracting me from studying for the mcat. I guess I would rather not transfer so i don't have distractions at home but i absolutely cannot find any places to live. If i stay at home, its fairly likely i will move out for a few months because places are cheap and easier to find here. If anyone has questions, feel free to post it and I will answer when i can. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you explain this a bit more? Is the "sister campus" distinction like Penn St. University Park vs Penn St. Beaver? If so, then you should be fine.

If not, what 4 year school lets you casually switch there for a semester?

you'll need to give a good explanation at the least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain this a bit more? Is the "sister campus" distinction like Penn St. University Park vs Penn St. Beaver? If so, then you should be fine.

If not, what 4 year school lets you casually switch there for a semester?

I guess sister schools are defined as being linked financially and under the same management. In my case, they are both state universities although i have heard that the one i was at for 4 years was supposedly "better" somehow. I'm kinda in a rush so i will just tell you the schools. I would be transferring from UNL to UNO within nebraska. L is lincoln and O is omaha. Lemme know if you have more questions and thanks so far.

you'll need to give a good explanation at the least.

I guess what would be an adequate explanation? I can honestly afford it but don't want to spend more than necessary. Obviously can't say one was easier than the other. Any recommendations? I'm still gonna try to just return to the original uni i was at for 4 years if i find a place but just in case....

thanks for your help

I guess sister schools are defined as being linked financially and under the same management. In my case, they are both state universities although i have heard that the one i was at for 4 years was supposedly "better" somehow. I'm kinda in a rush so i will just tell you the schools. I would be transferring from UNL to UNO within nebraska. L is lincoln and O is omaha. Lemme know if you have more questions and thanks so far.
IMO that's fine, you're still in the U Nebraska system.

As long as you don't have to have your last "X" hours at your new school you should be fine. My undergrad required the last ?30 hours of a bachelors to be completed at their school. If it's the same system (which it sounds like), it should be fine. Just be sure to check so there aren't any surprises when you want to graduate!