Will it stop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

TPROrgoTutor

Will the incessant whining done by pre-med students ( I am one, so you cannot take offense ) stop once we are actually IN medical school? Why all the competition people? Why constantly trying to justify your opinion over everyone elses and make yourself seem superior? Why constantly making your own situation seem more severe so that it seems like you accomplished more than the next person who has achieved the same goals? Help your peer, not form a competition against them. If someone has a differnet opinion than you, they are not ignorant or unintelligent, they just have a different opinion. If someone else gets into med school before you, they did not "steal your spot" and they did not get in because of the color of their skin. We are ALL in this together people, not here to try to one-up everyone else. Perhaps a bit more self-confidence and the need to impress others (especially over an internet forum) may diminish.

So, to any current med students who may be reading this... Does it stop? Or does it continue until, perhaps, maturity starts to kick in a bit and the whining ceases?

Members don't see this ad.

Allo forums might give you a better idea of the answer to this question. But most of what med students tell me is that med school is like the second reoccurrence of highschool. A lot of politics and competition and a lot of gossip and cliques.

gujuDoc said:
Allo forums might give you a better idea of the answer to this question. But most of what med students tell me is that med school is like the second reoccurrence of highschool. A lot of politics and competition and a lot of gossip and cliques.
Yea, I suppose I should have posted the question there. Ive never ventured outside the pre-allo part though!

Members don't see this ad :)
TPROrgoTutor said:
Will the incessant whining done by pre-med students ( I am one, so you cannot take offense ) stop once we are actually IN medical school? Why all the competition people? Why constantly trying to justify your opinion over everyone elses and make yourself seem superior? Why constantly making your own situation seem more severe so that it seems like you accomplished more than the next person who has achieved the same goals? Help your peer, not form a competition against them. If someone has a differnet opinion than you, they are not ignorant or unintelligent, they just have a different opinion. If someone else gets into med school before you, they did not "steal your spot" and they did not get in because of the color of their skin. We are ALL in this together people, not here to try to one-up everyone else. Perhaps a bit more self-confidence and the need to impress others (especially over an internet forum) may diminish.

So, to any current med students who may be reading this... Does it stop? Or does it continue until, perhaps, maturity starts to kick in a bit and the whining ceases?

Ah the irony ;)

Also, unfortunately the competition might not stop once you get into medical school. Although most schools are trying to preach cooperation, there is probably still tons of competition left in medical school, given that the most competative students are the ones who make it

Ha yes, ironman, I also saw the irony in my post whining about the whining. I figure it will be competitive but tried to apply to schools that have a cooperative nature to them as I am extraordinarily competitive, but with myself rather than others. Hopefully this does not hinder my abilities to matriculate.

gujuDoc said:

Wow. I don't wanna go if it's like that.
Maybe DO school is better, after all...

TPROrgoTutor said:
Ha yes, ironman, I also saw the irony in my post whining about the whining. I figure it will be competitive but tried to apply to schools that have a cooperative nature to them as I am extraordinarily competitive, but with myself rather than others. Hopefully this does not hinder my abilities to matriculate.

I totally agree. Cooperation among students is very important to me, and I dread the thought of going to a school with 150 "gunners" :scared:

Orthodoc40 said:
Wow. I don't wanna go if it's like that.
Maybe DO school is better, after all...

See but I couldn't imagine this not occurring in DO schools too. I'm pretty sure it is everywhere. Some level of competition exists in every school including those that have a pass fail system. It just becomes a problem when things get out of hand and people do things to sabotage another person.

You just gotta learn to do your thing and try to do your best to cooperate and not get mixed up with the negative politics of students.

gujuDoc said:
See but I couldn't imagine this not occurring in DO schools too. I'm pretty sure it is everywhere. Some level of competition exists in every school including those that have a pass fail system. It just becomes a problem when things get out of hand and people do things to sabotage another person.

You just gotta learn to do your thing and try to do your best to cooperate and not get mixed up with the negative politics of students.

I could. I mean of course it would still occur, but I think it would be less prevalent in DO schools. The average age of DO students is usually higher than in MD students, and there are much more non-traditional students at DO schools. Plus, DO schools do not focus on GPA and MCAT as much as MD schools do, so I don't think there would be as much competition. Just a thought, but I'm sure we would get a better idea on the osteopathic/allopathic forums.

bbas said:
I could. I mean of course it would still occur, but I think it would be less prevalent in DO schools. The average age of DO students is usually higher than in MD students, and there are much more non-traditional students at DO schools. Plus, DO schools do not focus on GPA and MCAT as much as MD schools do, so I don't think there would be as much competition. Just a thought, but I'm sure we would get a better idea on the osteopathic/allopathic forums.

See but i wasn't saying it would be on the same level as allo schools but rather that even if it were on a lesser level there would still be some level of competition at every school.

bbas said:

I agree with this, totally. There are likely these types everywhere, but the percentage is likely a lot lower in DO schools. Plus because of the maturity and non-traditional status of more students, they aren't likely to tolerate a whole lot of nonsense like that.

gujuDoc said:
See but i wasn't saying it would be on the same level as allo schools but rather that even if it were on a lesser level there would still be some level of competition at every school.

Yah, it's everywhere, no doubt. But does it create an atmosphere that's intolerable, or do people keep it in check? I suspect DO students keep it more in check, BUT, I could be wrong.

I'm just wondering when people are going to stop posting secondary questions they can't think for themselves to answer!!

Orthodoc40 said:
Yah, it's everywhere, no doubt. But does it create an atmosphere that's intolerable, or do people keep it in check? I suspect DO students keep it more in check, BUT, I could be wrong.

I guess it depends on the school. even with allo schools not every school has that sense of going too far with competition, but there will always be some gunners everywhere especially if they want to get in a more competitive residency or what not. Or so that is what I would suspect.

gujuDoc said:
I guess it depends on the school. even with allo schools not every school has that sense of going too far with competition, but there will always be some gunners everywhere especially if they want to get in a more competitive residency or what not. Or so that is what I would suspect.

Me too. Let's hope we can figure it out before deciding which one to attend!

Orthodoc40 said:
Me too. Let's hope we can figure it out before deciding which one to attend!

Or plan on skipping class often. :laugh:

TPROrgoTutor said:

You hit it right on the nail. I have been out of school for about 3 years and during an MCAT prep course I took, some of the pre-meds I had conversations with couldnt handle people having different opinions than they did. They would get totally defensive and argumentative. I am not saying this about all pre-meds of course. But maybe it is because some of them haven't been in a REAL WORK ENVIRONMENT, as opposed to some collegiate club or organization, where teamwork and compromise is extremely important to the success of a company.

TPROrgoTutor said:

Dude, you're a reasonably intelligent guy, so think very carefully about this question. Which undergraduates go on to become medical students? Yeah, that's right: pre-meds. Let that sink in for a second, then take a good look around you and make friends with your fellow SDNers, because they, and other people just like them, are going to be your classmates. You will like some of them better than others, but you had better do your utmost best to get along with all of them, because this isn't Survivor where you can vote off the ones you don't like. And you never know who is busy right now complaining about how YOU are such a whiner. The best advice that I can give to you regarding how to get along in medical school and life in general is to worry about keeping yourself in line, and leave other people to their own devices.

It will never stop. It doesn't matter if you are in college, med school, grad school, law school, or working for a corporation or hospital. There will always be competition between people who are trying to reach the same goals. Some are just better at being relaxed about it instead of some pissed-off loner with no friends whining all the time.

Let the gunners lose sleep over a few points. Just have fun, especially if you're in college.