Will learning Spanish increase my chances of getting accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted905755

title says it all. What do you guys think? Is Spanish a hidden requirement, or will it affect/not affect admission to a U.S medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hidden requirement? No.

Will some schools that serve large Hispanic populations appreciate it? Hell yea

How much do they care? No one knows

Here in Miami speaking Spanish as a student gets you bonus points on wards because med students can translate for the team. It’s perhaps the only time in history a medical student has been legitimately useful.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't learn a language to go to med school. Learn it because you enjoy it. Or else you are going to drop it like everyone else after 2 semesters.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lol depends on the rest of your application. If it's not up to snuff you won't get in no matter how many languages you speak. That's why translator services exist.

Reactions: 1 users
lol depends on the rest of your application. If it's not up to snuff you won't get in no matter how many languages you speak. That's why translator services exist.
I wasn’t going to learn Spanish because my application is lacking, I just wanted to know if it helps. Thanks for your comment

Reactions: 1 user
Will learning Spanish increase my chances of getting accepted?
What do you guys think? Is Spanish a hidden requirement, or will it affect/not affect admission to a U.S medical school?
It isn't learning Spanish that will help you. Demonstrably using your Spanish in, say, a volunteer or work setting will make you very appealing to some med schools and residency programs.

I don't know about it necessarily helping you gain admission into a US medical school (unless it's in the Southwest or Florida) but it will definitely make you into a better doctor because you can actually communicate with patients on a personal level instead of going through an interpreter.