Will lower science GPA affect my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatfutureedocc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For background, I am a Chemistry major with a minor in Biology. I have gotten As in all of my biology prerequisites and upper level courses. I've gotten Bs in all of my chemistry prereqs. Got A and B in physics lecture & As for lab, as well as As in my calculus prereqs. The problem is, I have 3 Cs on my transcript from upper level chemistry courses like physical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, and another chem class (got Bs in the labs). My cumulative GPA is a 3.52 but my science gpa will probably be around a 3.3-3.4 give or take. I have strong ECs/Research/Leadership & I will be taking my DAT in July. I was wondering if my science GPA may end up being a dealbreaker for the more competitive schools I plan to apply to (LSU, UAB, UConn)? Part of the reason I got those Cs this past spring semester is because I worked two jobs this while I was enrolled as an Athletics Tutor and Server at a seafood restaurant, because I needed to pay down a cc loan I had to take out. I also joined an NPHC sorority at the same time, really just had a lot going on. I did summer programs with UAB (2020) and UConn (2021) & I have an internship in Big Pharma this summer if that helps anything. I was hoping schools will see everything I was involved in this past semester in my experiences and maybe have some grace?

Members don't see this ad.

For background, I am a Chemistry major with a minor in Biology. I have gotten As in all of my biology prerequisites and upper level courses. I've gotten Bs in all of my chemistry prereqs. Got A and B in physics lecture & As for lab, as well as As in my calculus prereqs. The problem is, I have 3 Cs on my transcript from upper level chemistry courses like physical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, and another chem class (got Bs in the labs). My cumulative GPA is a 3.52 but my science gpa will probably be around a 3.3-3.4 give or take. I have strong ECs/Research/Leadership & I will be taking my DAT in July. I was wondering if my science GPA may end up being a dealbreaker for the more competitive schools I plan to apply to (LSU, UAB, UConn)? Part of the reason I got those Cs this past spring semester is because I worked two jobs this while I was enrolled as an Athletics Tutor and Server at a seafood restaurant, because I needed to pay down a cc loan I had to take out. I also joined an NPHC sorority at the same time, really just had a lot going on. I did summer programs with UAB (2020) and UConn (2021) & I have an internship in Big Pharma this summer if that helps anything. I was hoping schools will see everything I was involved in this past semester in my experiences and maybe have some grace?
it can't be changed
just do your best from now on and apply broadly and wisely

trust the process...

You definitely don't have the ideal GPA, but many people have, and will get into dental schools with lower GPA. I suggest you get the adea dental schools explorer/handbook, they have a lot of information, including ranges for GPA, which might help you. But in the end, it's not going to get you an automatic rejection from any school. Remember that it's a holistic process, so if other areas of the application are excellent, it will be in your favor! Great thing is that you got high GPAs on all the prerequisite courses, and do well on DAT, and you will be on good standing