Will making $300,000/yr as a gp persuade you from going for specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MALOKINMARTIN said:
does anyone do this because its their passion? I seems that all this thread is concerned about is how much you can make. Anyone out there with a soul?

I do this b/c I love it! The love of dentistry and the support of family and friends are the two things that have kept me from dropping out.
 
BOND said:
I'm talking about 10 years out of dental school, 35-40 hours work wk, $300,000/year(today's money) after expenses and before taxes. I can't see myself doing endo or pedo all day long regardless. Considering the opportunity costs of specialty, $300,000 with upside potential will do for me!



I'd say that when you start dental school and see how hard it is and start getting C's that will determine that you CANNOT get into a specialty program.

sorry.
 
armorshell said:
I can't speak for myself, but right before my father died he was making over 300k/year as a general dentist who didn't own his own practice.
Can you say more about the situation because that seems too good to be true.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, when the OP said 300k, I thought that was the average cuz ADA says 170k net for a GD. But upon reading others people's comments, I think what ADA means is that 170k net (before taxes) but I thought they meant after taxes. Error on my part. But am I understanding it correctly now? Thanks.
 
Why doesn't anyone invest thier money? I am actually still a pre-dent but i read this thread because it is a very good and realistic topic. I am not worried about loans, taxes, and stuff like that after dental school because i have already invested my money. i already own 5 houses in the UCF area in orlando and I am 21 years old. I read a couple of real estate books and got my credit to a beacon score near 700 and it had been downhill from there. These houses are going to pay for my dental school. I am not bragging it is just people need to build thier asset column at a young age. Read the book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad."