Will match get here already!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iladelphia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This waiting is killing me!!! I Just want to know if I matched or not so I can get on with my life!!! My God this has been a long 3-4 months.

Sorry, just needed to cyberscream!

Members don't see this ad.

This waiting is killing me!!! I Just want to know if I matched or not so I can get on with my life!!! My God this has been a long 3-4 months.

Sorry, just needed to cyberscream!

Ditto my friend...I'm what you'd call a "fringe" candidate and am very anxious as well!!!!!! Not a second goes by where I don't think about it...

After so many years of getting to this point though, all we have to do is wait one more week! Hang in there and do something nice for yourself as a distraction :thumbup:

Ditto my friend...I'm what you'd call a "fringe" candidate and am very anxious as well!!!!!! Not a second goes by where I don't think about it...

After so many years of getting to this point though, all we have to do is wait one more week! Hang in there and do something nice for yourself as a distraction :thumbup:

I remember being in your shoes...man after submitting the rank list, the wait was brutal. Keep yourself busy, it'll help a lot. Go see some movies, go out to dinner, heck...go out to a bar to celebrate the end of a LONNNNNNG hall! You've earned it!

I was on my ER rotation the night before match (til 11pm) and my attending said: "dont you match tomorrow? you should just go home and relax (this is at like 6pm)"

I replied: "noooooooo way, if I go home, I'm gonna be sitting there thinking about it all night."

(truth be told, I still thought/stressed all night anyways, but at least suturing foreheads gives you some time away from thinking about the match)

GOOD LUCK everyone, I cant wait to (1) find out who will be my colleagues at my program in the near future and (2) meet all my future Ophtho colleagues (eventually). You guys are an outstanding bunch.

best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Well all our rank lists are in! The wait begins. Good thing I have two pre-lim interviews in between to waste time.

Well all our rank lists are in! The wait begins. Good thing I have two pre-lim interviews in between to waste time.

AND, here is more food for thought- the actual match will likely happen today or tomorrow.They run the match multiple times to make sure they get the same outcome. I don't work for SFMatch, so this information is not 100%, but it makes sense.

Someone somewhere might already know :eek::eek::eek:

I imagine though that since some of us haven't submitted their rank lists until today and they probably enter them by hand into the computer program... they are probably still working on entering the data.

Man... if you are right though... that just kills me to think that they are sitting on that info!! :oops:

It reminds me of when I was waiting to hear from my med school and the admissions people told me that the decision had been made by the committee but my letter just needed to be SIGNED by the Dean...I waited 2 days for that signature! Then I realized my acceptance and forgot my frustrations.

I understand that there are options for "transitional years" or "research years" and reapplying, but for those that never do end up matching in ophthalmology (or any of their chosen specialties) what ends up happening? What do most of these people end up doing?

I understand that there are options for "transitional years" or "research years" and reapplying, but for those that never do end up matching in ophthalmology (or any of their chosen specialties) what ends up happening? What do most of these people end up doing?

As I see it, if one finds out they did not match in Ophthalmology the options would be:

1. Proceed with Preliminary Year match and hope that a position opens up during next year. A candidate then can apply directly to that program and, if accepted, the candidate wastes no time and starts residency following July. Few have done that.

2. If scenario #1 does not work out, a candidate can still go through a preliminary year (hopefully an easy one) and possibly publish a few abstracts, etc., etc. to beef up their application for the next cycle. If this works, a candidate wastes 1 year between end of prelim and start of ophthalmology residency.

3. A candidate forgoes prelim match, takes a year off to beef up his/her resume (research, pubs, presentations, getting letters from "big wigs"). A year immidiately following the "non-match" is sacrificed.

4. A candidate tries to scramble into an Ophthalmology spot after a "non-match", but chances are extremely small as Ophthalmology spots are almost never open.

5. A candidate says "screw Ophthalmology" and either applies late or scrambles into another ( usually less competative ) speciality in March. Although I do know a guy who did not match in Ophtho and scrambles into a Derm spot in CA a few years back :scared:.

Am I forgetting any other pathways?

MS3 here... I know ophtho matches early and that you will find out if you matched or not at that time, but do you actually find out where you matched then also? I was under the impression that you will be notified about whether you matched or not, but you wouldn't find out where until your school's match ceremony in March. Thanks for the info!

MS3 here... I know ophtho matches early and that you will find out if you matched or not at that time, but do you actually find out where you matched then also? I was under the impression that you will be notified about whether you matched or not, but you wouldn't find out where until your school's match ceremony in March. Thanks for the info!

You do find out the specific Ophthalmology program you match into in January. However, you have to wait until March to find out the Transitional/Preliminary program where you will match into for your PGY-1.

Not much longer until the culmination of 3.5 years of hard work (not counting the 4 years of undergrad). It is much like the anticipation you had as a child waiting for Christmas day. I hope Santa brings a present, and if he does, I wonder which one it will be. Good luck to all, and to all a good night (sleep, that is).

I had been doing pretty damn well not thinking about any of this until this weekend when it finally hit me. Maybe it had something to do with everyone else freaking out about not matching at my last prelim interview...now im probably even worse than the ones who have been worrying for weeks! :scared::scared::scared:

i wish you all a successful match! no one else understands what your stress than those of us that have been through it...

let us know how it all goes!