Will MD residencies accept only COMLEX scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vietcongs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 3rd year DO student seriously considering OB/Gyn. I'd like to know, in general, will most residencies accept only the COMLEX? Also, as far as class rank and board scores, whats the average that you need to apply to OB/Gyn residencies? Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the application/interview/waiting-game now. So, far one program has rejected my application to OB/GYN because I did not take the USMLE. I'm still waiting to hear from a few other programs about interviews...I'm unsure if the USMLE vs. COMLEX will be an issue???

Good luck to you.

Yes, many M.D. programs will accept the COMLEX only. E-mail the programs that you are interested in and ask them if they will accept the COMLEX. Go to the APGo_Org site and then to the residency directory and it will give you the average board scores at individual programs. Class rank is very hard to standardize and I haven't seen this info. anywhere. If you are interested in OB/GYN go for it. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, many M.D. programs will accept the COMLEX only. E-mail the programs that you are interested in and ask them if they will accept the COMLEX. Go to the APGo_Org site and then to the residency directory and it will give you the average board scores at individual programs. Class rank is very hard to standardize and I haven't seen this info. anywhere. If you are interested in OB/GYN go for it. Good Luck!

I can assure you people have done this; gone through the 'grunt labor' of searching out individual residencies and seeing if they 'take' the COMLEX. It takes 4 million man hours.

Granted, if you have a COMLEX score and someone has a USMLE score you're competing against, you've got to realize they may be more partial, but more and more it's really the interview, rotation and 'personable skills' rather than a score. Try your best, interview well, and the best advice I ever heard was 'let the program choose you; don't force a fit.'
(Thanks Roger C.!)

I can assure you people have done this; gone through the 'grunt labor' of searching out individual residencies and seeing if they 'take' the COMLEX. It takes 4 million man hours.

Granted, if you have a COMLEX score and someone has a USMLE score you're competing against, you've got to realize they may be more partial, but more and more it's really the interview, rotation and 'personable skills' rather than a score. Try your best, interview well, and the best advice I ever heard was 'let the program choose you; don't force a fit.'
(Thanks Roger C.!)

1. I hope these guys got into a program by now - it has been over 7 years, but good luck:thumbup:

2. 4 million man hours? Try a few phone calls and having the gusto to actually do something to get into residency instead of asking people on SDN to do the work.

1. I hope these guys got into a program by now - it has been over 7 years, but good luck:thumbup:

2. 4 million man hours? Try a few phone calls and having the gusto to actually do something to get into residency instead of asking people on SDN to do the work.

It's always good to know people are following 7 year old threads, and, yes, I still think some of them are helpful. (For example, you read my comment at least enough to comment on it)

My point was it takes time. More than just a few phone calls in my opinion, but time nonetheless. Unless I'm missing something, as an undecided medical student with hopes to stay somewhere west of the Rocky Mountains, that's a lot of phone calls for potential residency options.

I'd better get offline now so I can go find some gusto and start making some of those calls.

Thanks for the help....from the SDN posts 7 years ago...and even today!

Does anybody know which, if any, of the programs will work with the Resolution 42 requirements for DOs?