Will med schools accept pass/fail for prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nothing101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a D in gen chem 2 and I am retaking it. Because of the corona virus, my school is giving us the option of doing a pass/fail option. Will med schools accept gen chem as a pass/fail?

Members don't see this ad.

No one really knows. I would hope for some understanding in the application process.

I got a D in gen chem 2 and I am retaking it. Because of the corona virus, my school is giving us the option of doing a pass/fail option. Will med schools accept gen chem as a pass/fail?
On a retake after a D, that seems kind of risky for you, even if they accept it. I think you'd want to show an A or a B, and if it's a P, they will likely assume it's masking a C, which will do you no favors on a retake. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to retake it for a grade cause that D is obviously not doing you any favors neither would a Pass in a retake (not at all impressive or a sign of improvement).

Reactions: 2 users
A D is equivalent to Fail in the eyes of admissions committees. Going P/F on a D means accepting an F.

I would be cautious about doing pass/fail as it raises questions/concerns. Taking a "W" may be a more appropriate choice.