Will my Nursing degree help me save some classes for optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mishty4u

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From Nursing to Optometry
Hi! I am currently a nursing student at South University and am looking to graduate in June with my BSN. After I finish I am looking to apply to optometry school at Nova in South Florida. I am currently running a 3.15. All my C's were from pre nursing except one. When I get out I have to take Bio, Calc and Organic Chem. Do any of you know if some of my nursing classes will count for anything? And what might my chances be of getting in with a BSN? I will have a year and half of clinical experiance, one year of pharmacy classes and I have learned great communicating skills through nursing. Also I have been working in a pediatrics floor for 2 years now and would like to focus on pediatric optometry. Any advice?!
I am worried about having to take the OAT because I do not score well on such exams.

Members don't see this ad.

The nursing degree might help, but I doubt you'll get out of any classes.

You'll still need to take all the required courses like everyone else. You'll have an upper hand in clinic by being more comfortable since you have direct patient care experience, but the classes are extremely important and you won't be able to get out of those.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have two RN,ODs on staff at UHCO and they both had to take everything.

thanks....do you think it will increase my chances of getting into a optometry class?

That's hard to say since you still have some tough classes to take and still haven't taken the OATs. I'd say as long as you do well on all that, you should be okay. Good luck!

thanks....do you think it will increase my chances of getting into a optometry class?

At most schools its almost entirely GPA and OAT. Good luck.

It will be interesting though, you will be switching from a high demand low supply profession to a low demand high supply. Why not NP?

i really enjoyed shadowing my cousin's husband who is an optometrist. Getting my np would be easier to do, but I believe I would really be more fullfilled with getting my OD. How's the job market for OD's?

i really enjoyed shadowing my cousin's husband who is an optometrist. Getting my np would be easier to do, but I believe I would really be more fullfilled with getting my OD. How's the job market for OD's?

Look around some the threads. You'll always be able to find a job in a mall somewhere, but is that what you envision for yourself?

Look around some the threads. You'll always be able to find a job in a mall somewhere, but is that what you envision for yourself?

Indeed, many people who look fondly towards a career as an OD almost always envision private practice. This reality is becoming harder and harder to obtain. The new and unneeded schools are really going to have a negative impact.

May I ask how optometry would be better than an NP? You are still helping people and are basically autonomous with a very secure future.

i guess your are right.. i still have a year to think about it...i just thought i'd really enjoy spealizing on the eyes over anything else. You guys are in school right now, how do you feel about the field? if you could do it over..what would u do?

i guess your are right.. i still have a year to think about it...i just thought i'd really enjoy spealizing on the eyes over anything else. You guys are in school right now, how do you feel about the field? if you could do it over..what would u do?

I don't mean to deter you from OD school. You just need to be aware that the profession has a whole can of worms of problems.

Mishty4u,

Nothing in life is perfect and optometry is no exception but taken as whole it is a wonderful field. For 4 years of professional school you will have:

1) Doctor of Optometry Degree (OD)

2) Become a primary eye doctor (optometric physician).

3) Have complete autonomy and absolute responsibility within
your optometric scope of practice.

4) In 46 States (excluding New York, Florida, Massachusetts, etc) you
can prescribe systemic and topical ophthalmic medications with
complete autonomy (as a doctor.)

5) Make anywhere from $90K to $130K depending on the mode of practice, years in the field, and insurance reimbursement circumstances of your state.

6) Responsibility of caring for the most importants sense--that of
vision.

check out these websites:

American Optometric Association

www.aoa.org

Association and Schools of Optometry

www.opted.org

They will be good resources for you. I am in my 30's and spent 1 year a couple years ago shadowing several types of doctors--orthopedic surgeon, podiatrist, dentist, family practice doctor (this bored me to tears), and an optometric physician-----that was the profession I fell in love with. I worked for a couple years as an optometric/ophthalmic technician while I fulfilled some class requirements. I am now in optometry school and I really enjoy it while at the same time it is ALOT of work---(ten classes this semsester and not much free time.) If you have any questions at all feel free to send me an email on here and I will be willing to help you the best that I can.

Good Luck and God Bless!