liindskii

2+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2018
I've started planning out my DIY Post-bacc by starting to look up summer courses and because of the current pandemic, all of these courses are online. I guess what I want to know is if I should take these classes (Principles of Bio I, Chem I, Physics I) this summer online, or should I wait until universities reopen and take them in person? Would it matter considering the current circumstances or would it look like I am trying to take advantage of the circumstances because I decided to start now?

Any guidance would be great!

Nugester

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
No, it doesn't matter.

No one knows when schools will meet in person, so plan to do things now, rather than later.

Reactions: 2 users

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Those particular classes are critical core prerequisites. For those classes, I'd suggest that you do wait and take them in person.

For other classes, my answer would be different.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

chemphysicsinstructor

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I've started planning out my DIY Post-bacc by starting to look up summer courses and because of the current pandemic, all of these courses are online. I guess what I want to know is if I should take these classes (Principles of Bio I, Chem I, Physics I) this summer online, or should I wait until universities reopen and take them in person? Would it matter considering the current circumstances or would it look like I am trying to take advantage of the circumstances because I decided to start now?

Any guidance would be great!

I do not recommend taking all three courses at the same time during summer unless you can dedicate the majority of the week to studying.

No one knows when on-ground classes will restart. It may be fall 2020 or fall 2021 or ??

I recommend taking the courses now and moving forward towards your goals.

It does not matter where/how you learned the material, just that you have mastered it.

Last edited by a moderator:

liindskii

2+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2018
I do not recommend taking all three courses at the same time during summer unless you can dedicate the majority of the week to studying.

No one knows when on-ground classes will restart. It may be fall 2020 or fall 2021 or ??

I recommend taking the courses now and moving forward towards your goals.

In my opinion as an instructor, it does not matter where/how you learned the material, just that you have mastered it.

Because I'm a teacher, I have the summer off and my plan is to completely dedicate myself to these classes. I've also managed heavy course loads (18+ credits) before while working so I don't think it's too much to handle but thank you! I think I'm going to take these classes after all!

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
What is the benefit you achieve by taking three, first semester sequence classes during summer? Will you be able to enroll in the second semester in the fall or have to wait till winter? Is your summer term 10 weeks?

liindskii

2+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2018
What is the benefit you achieve by taking three, first semester sequence classes during summer? Will you be able to enroll in the second semester in the fall or have to wait till winter? Is your summer term 10 weeks?

Right now what I'm thinking of going by this timeline:

Summer I: Chem I, Physics I (already took Principles of Bio I sorry for that mistake!)
Summer II: Principles of Bio II, Chem II, Physics II
Fall: Orgo I
Spring: Orgo II
Summer I: Biochem*
Summer II: Molecular Bio*

*These two courses are usually offered each summer but can change.

OR

Summer I: Chem I
Summer II: Principles of Bio II, Chem II
Summer I: Physics I
Summer II: Physics II, Molecular Bio or Biochem*

Basically, I know I can handle the workload for those core classes with all the free time in the summer but as I'll be back in the classroom come September, the only class I want to take during Fall/Spring is Orgo because of the amount of time I'll need in order to really practice and master the material.

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Right now what I'm thinking of going by this timeline:

Summer I: Chem I, Physics I (already took Principles of Bio I sorry for that mistake!)
Summer II: Principles of Bio II, Chem II, Physics II
Summer I: Biochem*
Summer II: Molecular Bio*

*These two courses are usually offered each summer but can change.

OR

Summer I: Chem I
Summer II: Principles of Bio II, Chem II
Summer I: Physics I
Summer II: Physics II, Molecular Bio or Biochem*

Basically, I know I can handle the workload for those core classes with all the free time in the summer but as I'll be back in the classroom come September, the only class I want to take during Fall/Spring is Orgo because of the amount of time I'll need in order to really practice and master the material.

Not going to lie, your second semester of summer sounds like a nightmare. Chemistry 2 and physics 2 are both computationally and conceptually heavy and require a lot of time dedicated to practice solving problems. It sounds like your semester will be between 4 and 6 weeks, which is a lot of info to master in that time frame. I know you say that you can handle it and I hope you’re right. Personally, I would switch one class to the year so you’re taking 2 classes during the year.

Reactions: 1 user

chemphysicsinstructor

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Because I'm a teacher, I have the summer off and my plan is to completely dedicate myself to these classes. I've also managed heavy course loads (18+ credits) before while working so I don't think it's too much to handle but thank you! I think I'm going to take these classes after all!

Do as you please....it is your choice.

If one of my students asked me the question that you asked....I would recommend they get the course material ahead of time, study it, and get a local tutor.

liindskii

2+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2018
Not going to lie, your second semester of summer sounds like a nightmare. Chemistry 2 and physics 2 are both computationally and conceptually heavy and require a lot of time dedicated to practice solving problems. It sounds like your semester will be between 4 and 6 weeks, which is a lot of info to master in that time frame. I know you say that you can handle it and I hope you’re right. Personally, I would switch one class to the year so you’re taking 2 classes during the year.

I'm all about taking advice. I mean you've been through it, not me! Do you think it'd be better to take the extra time and just take Physics I and II during 2nd fall/spring semesters and maybe take math during the summer?

liindskii

2+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2018
Do as you please....it is your choice.

If one of my students asked me the question that you asked....I would recommend they get the course material ahead of time, study it, and get a local tutor.

I've been lucky enough to be able to sit in some of my colleagues' AP science courses during my prep periods and have them sit with me and go over concepts so I do see what you're saying and how that can be helpful. Do you think I should take this summer, review with the help of a tutor, and then just start in the fall? I'm not completely set on a time frame, I just want to delve in!

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I would take general chemistry in the summer, and maybe add second semester bio if it feels manageable. During the year, I would take orgo and physics. Both are heavy in terms of the amount of practice you have to do but it wouldn’t be unmanageable. If you want to wait till the fall that would be fine as well. The key is to do well in your classes. I also was a teacher during the academic year so I get the allure of getting things done in the summer.

chemphysicsinstructor

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I've been lucky enough to be able to sit in some of my colleagues' AP science courses during my prep periods and have them sit with me and go over concepts so I do see what you're saying and how that can be helpful. Do you think I should take this summer, review with the help of a tutor, and then just start in the fall? I'm not completely set on a time frame, I just want to delve in!

Good to hear that you have been getting help from AP teachers....just so you know...the AP Chemistry teacher should be able to help you with Organic Chemistry too as they should have taken it in college.

I think it would be a wise idea to use the summer to review with a tutor (or AP teacher) and then take the courses in the fall when you are sure to get an A. If you want structure, you could audit a course.

Unless the AP Physics curriculum changed in the last few years, I remember there were some gaps in the content (AP Physics vs. MCAT).

liindskii

2+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2018
Good to hear that you have been getting help from AP teachers....just so you know...the AP Chemistry teacher should be able to help you with Organic Chemistry too as they should have taken it in college.

I think it would be a wise idea to use the summer to review with a tutor (or AP teacher) and then take the courses in the fall when you are sure to get an A. If you want structure, you could audit a course.

Unless the AP Physics curriculum changed in the last few years, I remember there were some gaps in the content (AP Physics vs. MCAT).

I'm going to take your advice and really prepare during the summer for the Fall semester. You're right, I'd rather be sure that I'm going to get straight As then to rush through. Thank you so much!

sw99

mondo generator
Removed
Jul 31, 2019
Online classes = no bueno. Bottom line. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it to wait until you can take the pre-reqs in person, or jeapordize your application (penny-wise, pound-foolish) and hunker down now to get those classes out of the way. Good luck.

chemphysicsinstructor

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Online classes = no bueno. Bottom line. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it to wait until you can take classes in person, or jeapordize your application (penny-wise, pound-foolish) and hunker down now to get the pre-reqs out of the way. Good luck.

Consider the situation:

If you do take online courses and for some reason they are not accepted, you can always re-take them "on-ground" and get a higher grade because you know the material already...and now your application looks even better.

sw99

mondo generator
Removed
Jul 31, 2019
chemphysicsinstructor said:
Consider the situation:

If you do take online courses and for some reason they are not accepted, you can always re-take them "on-ground" and get a higher grade because you know the material already...and now your application looks even better.
:thumbdown:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.