Medical Will probably have to reapply, how can I make my application stronger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cumulative GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.6

MCAT: 509
PS 131/CARS 130/CP 125/BB 123

I have gotten waitlisted at one in state school and rejected at the other and have not received an interview offer anywhere else.

I also got a C in both organic 1 and 2 my sophomore year, but junior year my grades went up (got an A in biochem)

I have one semester left of undergrad, should I retake organic?
Have about 60 shadowing hours and over 150 volunteer hours
Am a part of student government this year, was president of an organization last year, was a writer for the campus newspaper freshman-junior year
Did a semester of research and presented (not a fan of research tbh)

What should I do during my gap year? I want to retake the MCAT in April or May, what else can I do strengthen my app before reapplying in the summer?
With a Bio 123, I strongly recommend a retake, but only when you're 100% ready.

Members don't see this ad.

Are those volunteer hours all clinical? What non-medical community service do you have? Hours?

Besides the A in Biochem, what other As do you have in upper-level science since junior year started? Are any classes in progress now?

Do you have anything in the Teaching category? Any jobs in college? What hobby or artistic endeavor did you list?

All those volunteer hours are non-clinical. I don’t have any medical community service, it’s really hard to get that in my area. I took other upper level biology classes and got an A in most of them last year. I was a TA for a semester and worked as a peer mentor. I wrote for my campus newspaper and wrote cooking as a hobby.
Having active clinical experience where you interact with patients is an obligatory EC. Besides volunteering, you can acquire this through work, classroom requirement, or occasionally through clinical research interviewing patients. Do you have any of that? If not, you need to get started as soon as possible.

Consider looking at a free, family-planning, or private clinics, a surgicenter, hospice, hospital, VA, rehabilitation facility, or skilled-level nursing home, among others.

Clinical patient experience is not always gained in a medical environment, eg EMT, battle field medic, home hospice care, physical therapy aide, or special camp environments.

In what specialties did you shadow?

Have you talked with your career advisor and prehealth advisor yet? We don't have your transcripts to suggest classes or determine whether postbac courses are necessary.

Most people in your situation will likely do some work as a scribe for the upcoming year (after graduation is best), especially if you need clinical hours. There are probably other options that may be more convenient (why talking to your career advisor and prehealth advisor are important before applying).

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I shadowed in neurology, adolescent medicine, and anesthesiology.
2) I am working as a donor support technician (eventually will be a phlebotomist) at a blood donation center.
1) Good. And you included a primary care doc.

2) Unfortunately, donors are healthy and not considered to be "patients." But the activity has value in that you are becoming acquainted with a clinical environment, HIPAA, OSHA, etc.

Are any of the other facilities I've listed near where you live so that you might investigate online or by phone whether volunteers are welcomed?

What exactly is medical volunteering? I can’t actually do anything to the patient since I’m not a doctor or nurse? What is the value in this?
By interacting with sick/injured folks in conversation, or by giving assistance/service/transportation/comfort, you demonstrate to yourself and to us that you want to be around patients for the rest of your life.

As an example, I had a mentee who was premed and belatedly started volunteering in a hospital, only to discover he was a serious germ-o-phobe and that the sight and smell of some body fluids made him vomit. He changed pathways and eventually got accepted to pharmacy school.

If you were a phlebotomist in a hospital or clinic, you'd have this expectation covered though paid employment. How soon until you're certified?

Status
Not open for further replies.