Will socialized health care affect us?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tast Soup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me be clear that I have absolutely no intention of making this a politics-discussion thread. Honestly, I think we have enough to worry about besides the national politics.

My parents asked me today whether the nationalized health care system proposed by Hillary Clinton and others will affect doctors' life/money/business. And I don't have the slightest clue.

Maybe you guys can help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.

On the other hand, since when has a presidential candidate with a healthcare reform proposal actually followed through after being elected?

This one (HC) probably will. :rolleyes:

My parents asked me today whether the nationalized health care system proposed by Hillary Clinton and others will affect doctors' life/money/business. And I don't have the slightest clue.

Clinton's proposal is not a nationalized health care system. On the contrary, it amounts to a national mandate to purchase individual insurance with subsidies for those who cannot afford it. While he doesn't want to admit it, this proposal is very similar to the one Mitt Romney established in Massachusetts. You can read Edmund Haislmaier's defense of Romney's plan here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me be clear that I have absolutely no intention of making this a politics-discussion thread. Honestly, I think we have enough to worry about besides the national politics.

Maybe you guys can help me out.

YES.

What boggles the mind is why people don't recognize that many forms of extra coverage are already in place... Medicare and Medicaid are already there for the poorest/oldest... people who can't budget their money well enough whine to get free drug samples and coverage on expensive medications... what more do these people want? :confused:

Sadly, the ones who get hurt the most in the current system are the hard-working under-insured salt-of-the-earth type of people... and because they don't live in a city or represent a minority group that politicians can exploit, their problems get largely ignored... :thumbdown: I have to wonder why the problems faced by the rural poor are never brought up...

My understanding is that those government subsidies will typically lower physician reimbursements. It's a complicated reason, of which my understanding is superficial, so I won't go into the minutia because it's confusing and I could be wrong on a lot of it.

While I've heard of what Romney did in Mass. and know of Hillary's general plans for healthcare, I've got way too much other stuff on my plate to delve into it on my own. If someone has any info regarding the regarding the reimbursement aspect of Clinton's plan I'd appreciate a link(s).

First of all, Hillary is not advocating truly "socialized" medicine, like there is in Canada. The most extreme thing on the table in the US is extending government subsidized insurance to more people than we are now. That's the battle. Do we extend medicare/medicaid? Do we scrap medicare and design a new system that includes anyone who wants to be on it?

How that affects physician salaries is probably very indirect. Yes, physicians in Canada make less, on average, than U.S physicians do.

But also consider the vast inefficiency of the U.S system. All the billing and coding. All the insurance. Different providers all using different systems. The administrative or "overhead" costs of healthcare in the United States are just gross. Any businessman would vomit at the sight of these overhead costs in any business. And the reason for it all, ironically, is business. It just doesn't make any sense to have such a complex system.

Reminds me of the time I went to an ER in Canada. As I'm leaving I walk up to the desk and ask, "how much do I owe ya?"

The girl answers, "Huh?"

I say, "Do you need my address to send a bill?"

She shrugs, "We don't have a billing department."

I think physician salaries could actually go UP with socialized healthcare. Far less overhead. But nothing is set in stone. We're talking about the way we organize and run our healthcare, and that has no direct implication for salary level. I think doctors in Canada and other countries with socialized medicine just accept that they make a little less money....but it's for the common good and everybody gets care. Which in the end is better because people don't get as sick and end up in the hospital for something preventable.

First of all, Hillary is not advocating truly "socialized" medicine, like there is in Canada. The most extreme thing on the table in the US is extending government subsidized insurance to more people than we are now. That's the battle. Do we extend medicare/medicaid? Do we scrap medicare and design a new system that includes anyone who wants to be on it?

How that affects physician salaries is probably very indirect. Yes, physicians in Canada make less, on average, than U.S physicians do.

But also consider the vast inefficiency of the U.S system. All the billing and coding. All the insurance. Different providers all using different systems. The administrative or "overhead" costs of healthcare in the United States are just gross. Any businessman would vomit at the sight of these overhead costs in any business. And the reason for it all, ironically, is business. It just doesn't make any sense to have such a complex system.

Reminds me of the time I went to an ER in Canada. As I'm leaving I walk up to the desk and ask, "how much do I owe ya?"

The girl answers, "Huh?"

I say, "Do you need my address to send a bill?"

She shrugs, "We don't have a billing department."

I think physician salaries could actually go UP with socialized healthcare. Far less overhead. But nothing is set in stone. We're talking about the way we organize and run our healthcare, and that has no direct implication for salary level. I think doctors in Canada and other countries with socialized medicine just accept that they make a little less money....but it's for the common good and everybody gets care. Which in the end is better because people don't get as sick and end up in the hospital for something preventable.

Recent protests in Germany, strikes in parts of Latin America, and complaints of Canadian physicians imply that they don't just accept lower salaries, but that protests and strikes are the only tools left to improve one's income when the government takes over payment.

I think this is one of the most interesting paragraphs I have ever read on SDN about socialized healthcare. It really gets right down to the real differences between those who want the government to take over the industry and those who don't.
I think physician salaries could actually go UP with socialized healthcare. Far less overhead. But nothing is set in stone.
That's a really optimistic way of looking at it. The only way for socialized healthcare to work..., maybe work isn't the right word,... function at all is a combination of sharply rationing care, cutting payments and raising taxes. To expect that that combination will entail a payment cut small enough to be offset or even surplussed by the savings in overhead, remember we're talking about a government entity here, is incredibly optimistic.
We're talking about the way we organize and run our healthcare, and that has no direct implication for salary level.
You mean the way we organize, run and pay for our healthcare. How can that not have an impact on salary levels?

And just to split hairs I will point out that very, very few docs are on "salary." The vast majority of us live on what we get from billing patients for our services. CMS or Hillary of whoever cuts the amount CMS pays me when I bill and I make less. After I make less I still get to pay taxes on that amount.
I think doctors in Canada and other countries with socialized medicine just accept that they make a little less money....but it's for the common good and everybody gets care. Which in the end is better because people don't get as sick and end up in the hospital for something preventable.
So we should accept less for the "greater good?" That right there is just the difference between the two sides on this. Beyond that I don't agree that the government can do this effectively. I don't agree that it will be "a little less money." I expect a rise to ~70% tax rates with HillObama with decreasing pay for docs. Finally I don't agree that it will make people healthier. Americans won't avail them selves of preventable medicine any more than they'll quit forcing Big Macs into their bloated hulks.

No one really knows what the socialized system will really look like, work like or pay like but they know that they want to walk out of the ER without a bill. Nothing's free.

The only way for socialized healthcare to work..., maybe work isn't the right word,... function at all is a combination of sharply rationing care, cutting payments and raising taxes.

If you think about the definition of the word "social", we already have socialized medicine in the form of insurance...paid by private citizens yes, but the costs incurred by the sick are paid by the healthy - that's socialized medicine. The only way to completely avoid socialized medicine is to have cash payments for services (which I hear some physicians are already doing). This only works for basic primary care though, right?

I think it is good to be wary of rationing care, decreasing compensation, and higher taxes. But I also don't see how these things are *necessarily* linked to a more socialized method of payment. If you look at the current system, we already have the problem of insurance companies rationing care, and decreasing reimbursement, and we have the most private health system of all 1st world nations...and we also spend the most money on it.

There is nothing extreme about Hillary's ideas on healthcare. Her 1993 plan was basically to force employers to cover their employees. Not everyone will agree with that philosophically, but you have to admit it's a problem. Companies are quite happy to pass off the costs of their employees to state agencies and federal programs. If you believe the mantra, that the free market can and will (eventually) provide good quality care to all citizens...why are there so many working families out there who aren't covered? Hillary's plan was to tell companies, "If you won't do it voluntarily, then we'll make you do it." Well they didn't like that too much, for many reasons (good and bad).

My question is, what's taking so long? It's been 25 years since the appearance of large HMO's. The Reagan era is far gone. 40 million people are uninsured...it's a problem. Shall we just limp along into the 21st century...hoping someone will wave a magic wand and get all those people covered? They should be covered, just like everyone gets a free public education. Is anyone all up in arms that they have to pay for a public education system? Well, actually yes, some people are mad about that....and I think they are crazy :)

If you think about the definition of the word "social", we already have socialized medicine in the form of insurance...paid by private citizens yes, but the costs incurred by the sick are paid by the healthy - that's socialized medicine. The only way to completely avoid socialized medicine is to have cash payments for services (which I hear some physicians are already doing). This only works for basic primary care though, right?
Insurance is not a system where the wealthy pay for the poor. With insurance the well pay for the sick. What the well get out of it is that they are protected from some of the financial risk of getting sick. It's also (supposed to be) a voluntary system. If you want to avoid the risk you pay for the insurance. If you are to undisciplined to pay for the insurance you bear the risk.
I think it is good to be wary of rationing care, decreasing compensation, and higher taxes. But I also don't see how these things are *necessarily* linked to a more socialized method of payment. If you look at the current system, we already have the problem of insurance companies rationing care, and decreasing reimbursement, and we have the most private health system of all 1st world nations...and we also spend the most money on it.
In a socialized system you will entitle more people to benefits within the same economy. So the problems we have now will get worse as the entitlements are expanded.
There is nothing extreme about Hillary's ideas on healthcare. Her 1993 plan was basically to force employers to cover their employees. Not everyone will agree with that philosophically, but you have to admit it's a problem. Companies are quite happy to pass off the costs of their employees to state agencies and federal programs. If you believe the mantra, that the free market can and will (eventually) provide good quality care to all citizens...why are there so many working families out there who aren't covered? Hillary's plan was to tell companies, "If you won't do it voluntarily, then we'll make you do it." Well they didn't like that too much, for many reasons (good and bad).
One of the reasons that it turned out many people were not covered in MA when Romney was implementing their plan was that they could afford it but just didn't want to spend their money on insurance. Many of the uninsured could afford it but don't.
My question is, what's taking so long? It's been 25 years since the appearance of large HMO's. The Reagan era is far gone. 40 million people are uninsured...it's a problem. Shall we just limp along into the 21st century...hoping someone will wave a magic wand and get all those people covered? They should be covered, just like everyone gets a free public education. Is anyone all up in arms that they have to pay for a public education system? Well, actually yes, some people are mad about that....and I think they are crazy :)
It's really a battle for the soul of the country. Should we hold onto the ideals of opportunity and self determination or just descend into the ranks of automotons who are dependent on the government for everything? Clearly we're working our way toward the latter. It's pretty bleak. I just hope I'm dead before it all finally falls apart. BTW no one's getting a free education. I'm paying for it. You're probably paying for it. We all pay for it, even if you don't have kids. We just get really crappy product.

The idea of an employer paying an employees health insurance comes from the New Deal Era, in which Roosevelt imposed wage caps on employers hiring, and they had to come up with alternative methods of luring skilled workers. There is no reason why employers should or should not pay for health insurance. It is only a perk. In my opinion, basing an insurance system on employers for 100% of the country is plain stupid. The average American has 7 different careers in a lifetime. Employers aren't "dumping" on government programs. Employers are trying to keep costs low to stay competitive. The government determines what programs it wants to have, and claiming that employers are dumping because their employees qualify for the programs is backward logic. The government could simply stop the programs and no more "dumping" would be going on. Of course they didn't like it. "If you don't spend thousands of dollars per employee outside of your budget, we'll punish you." You'd get pretty mad if someone marched into your office and said that.

Secondly, you talk about all of these government programs in one sentence and then proceed to decry the failures of the "free market" The government currently pays 50% of all payments in medicine. That is anything but a free market. When we had a more free market, medicine comprised about 5% of the economy and most people had access to healthcare. There were more generalists (which is supposedly part of the problem now), and inflation adjusted incomes within the different specialties that existed back then and now were approximately the same. That would have been about 1965, and even then, there were HUGE amounts of licensing interventions and other qualifications that didn't make healthcare free market.

It's really a battle for the soul of the country. Should we hold onto the ideals of opportunity and self determination or just descend into the ranks of automotons who are dependent on the government for everything?
So, every citizen of every 1st world nation besides the U.S is a mindless drone? Maybe, it is possible that people actually *prefer* to have healthcare be a public good (like education, or roads, or police)? In my view, the mindless automatons are those who blindly accept whatever the corporate media tells them is the right thing to do, in this case, to restrict the public from operating a non-profit healthcare system.

Many of the uninsured could afford it but don't.
That's why at some point, health insurance should be mandatory. Many people don't buy insurance because they simply don't feel the need. They're young and healthy, why spend the money? Well, that just fits in with the whole distorted American ideal of "individual freedom to do whatever I want no matter who it affects." They don't pay in, and there is less money to go around for things like physician compensation.

In a socialized system you will entitle more people to benefits within the same economy. So the problems we have now will get worse as the entitlements are expanded.
Oh but I thought the uninsured could afford it?

If you are to undisciplined to pay for the insurance you bear the risk.
But it's not "undisciplined" people opting out. It's the healthy people that are supposed to be in the system but instead, they figure, "I'm more important than society in general." And that is the pervasive attitude in the libertarian/conservative culture of the U.S. We are groomed since birth to be extremely individualistic. It's part of our political culture. Many Americans just don't understand that in other countries, people hold different views. For example, Canadians see health more as a public good, where everyone sacrifices a little bit in order to hold the country together and make sure everyone is covered.

Strangely, Americans seem to treat education as a public good, but cannot bring themselves to view healthcare in the same way. If you ask people in a poll, "Do you think every child deserves a K-12 education provided by the public" the majority will say yes. Why not healthcare?

In my opinion, basing an insurance system on employers for 100% of the country is plain stupid.
I agree. In fact that's exactly why a completely socialized, government funded system would be superior. You wouldn't have the thousands of different plans and payers, with people constantly switching back and forth. The bureaucracy would actually shrink, I believe significantly. The fact that we need to "think about which brand of hospital we go to" is a joke to the rest of the world.

The government determines what programs it wants to have, and claiming that employers are dumping because their employees qualify for the programs is backward logic. The government could simply stop the programs and no more "dumping" would be going on.
Good point, although the real problem with the argument is the underlying assumption that employers should pay employee insurance costs. I do not hold that assumption. However, I do NOT feel that it is efficient for each individual to go out with their dollars and attempt to purchase "healthcare" on a free market. It's a nice fantasy, perhaps for an Ayn Rand utopia, but it just doesn't seem to be working very well down in the real world.

So, every citizen of every 1st world nation besides the U.S is a mindless drone? Maybe, it is possible that people actually *prefer* to have healthcare be a public good (like education, or roads, or police)? In my view, the mindless automatons are those who blindly accept whatever the corporate media tells them is the right thing to do, in this case, to restrict the public from operating a non-profit healthcare system.
That's why these socialized threads get so old, some people are just socialists and some aren't. I'm not. Never will be and the mirage of the socialist utopia doesn't tempt me. I think that individualism is a good thing. Socialists don't. This isn't just about healthcare. It's about philosophy.
Oh but I thought the uninsured could afford it?
I said "many" of the uninsured could afford it but then the out of context quotes are another symptom of a socialized healthcare thread that has gotten too long in the tooth.

This will probably be my last reply, as I have a tendancy to hijack Socialized Medicine threads with individual arguments.

What the heck does the "corporate media" have to do with this? I've never once heard anything promoting free market healthcare on the mainstream media, with the exception of one John Stossel piece on 20/20. This does generally jive with the argument I always get, which is that anyone who wants to take care of himself and remove the government from everyday life has simply been brainwashed by the corporate media that generally opposes that position.

That's why at some point, health insurance should be mandatory. Many people don't buy insurance because they simply don't feel the need. They're young and healthy, why spend the money? Well, that just fits in with the whole distorted American ideal of "individual freedom to do whatever I want no matter who it affects." They don't pay in, and there is less money to go around for things like physician compensation.
Um... If we don't force people to buy pornography, there's less money to go around for things like Ron Jeremy's salary. The problem isn't people deciding not to buy something; the problem is them deciding not to buy it and then demanding it for free.

But it's not "undisciplined" people opting out. It's the healthy people that are supposed to be in the system but instead, they figure, "I'm more important than society in general." And that is the pervasive attitude in the libertarian/conservative culture of the U.S. We are groomed since birth to be extremely individualistic. It's part of our political culture. Many Americans just don't understand that in other countries, people hold different views. For example, Canadians see health more as a public good, where everyone sacrifices a little bit in order to hold the country together and make sure everyone is covered.
Why are the healthy people supposed to be in the system? Why is this good for society in general? I'll say what I've said a million times before, which is society is just a conglomeration of individuals. It may very well be a rational choice for someone with low health risk to opt out, if they are willing to deal with the consequences. I'm perfectly aware that other people have different views. I understand it completely. I disagree with those views. I also frankly could care less what health system Canada has. I am not a Canadian. That's up to the Canadians.

All of that being said, medicine is slowly bankrupting ALL of the industrialized nations, primarily through government spending. I'd argue that socialized medicine in Canada is doing as much to tear the country apart as it does to hold it together.

Lastly, the idea that Americans are groomed to be individualistic from birth is laughable. Most of us attended public schools, where we were summarily bombarded with propaganda about the "greater good." It's really more of a small libertarian thread that exists within the culture. Though they all came to America because of that thread, the majority of major libertarian thinkers in the past century were foreigners. Ayn Rand was born just before the Soviet takeover in Russia, and Ludwig Von Mises (probably the most influential libertarian economist in the last century) was born in Austria.

Strangely, Americans seem to treat education as a public good, but cannot bring themselves to view healthcare in the same way. If you ask people in a poll, "Do you think every child deserves a K-12 education provided by the public" the majority will say yes. Why not healthcare?
I attended a public school. That's all that needs to be said about this.

I agree. In fact that's exactly why a completely socialized, government funded system would be superior. You wouldn't have the thousands of different plans and payers, with people constantly switching back and forth. The bureaucracy would actually shrink, I believe significantly. The fact that we need to "think about which brand of hospital we go to" is a joke to the rest of the world.
In this argument, A doesn't equal B. Thinking that mandatory employer sponsored health insurance is bad doesn't mean that the government should just take it over. I keep hearing about how the government would shrink the healthcare beauracracy, yet no one seems to remember that there was virtually NO healthcare beauracracy before the government got involved in the 1960s. Most of the modern insurance beauracracy follows precedents imposed by MEDICARE. This includes direct to physician payments that require 10 employees filling out insurance forms. Before, people recovered from their insurance, just like car, homeowner, or any other form of insurance. No individual dealt with more than one company. It's all backwards logic. The government comes in, takes over half of the system. Destroys the other half by proxy, and then we argue that if we just let them take over the half that they destroyed, it would all be better.

Good point, although the real problem with the argument is the underlying assumption that employers should pay employee insurance costs. I do not hold that assumption. However, I do NOT feel that it is efficient for each individual to go out with their dollars and attempt to purchase "healthcare" on a free market. It's a nice fantasy, perhaps for an Ayn Rand utopia, but it just doesn't seem to be working very well down in the real world.

I'm not sure which "Ayn Rand utopia" you are talking about. We don't have a free market in healthcare. The current system is about 50% public/50% private. The mostly free market system worked remarkeably well until it was dismantled in the 60s. No one bothers to look at how that worked when these arguments are made. Meanwhile, most of the socialized systems in the world are moving back the other way. Britain is contracting out a lot to private hospitals. France has a booming private market. Canada is two steps away from undergoing a fundamental shift in thinking, manifested early by the rising presence of private imaging centers. Give it time. Comparing the closest things we have to each system, the only one that actually seemed to stay viable was the one that followed market forces.

Um... If we don't force people to buy pornography, there's less money to go around for things like Ron Jeremy's salary. The problem isn't people deciding not to buy something; the problem is them deciding not to buy it and then demanding it for free.
In Nevada we are required to buy pornography but the socialized porno is pretty low quality. We have a special fund that subsidizes Ron Jeremy but it looks like it will soon eclipse the state's GDP. I have been demanding free porn for years and apparently I qualify but the wait for elective porn is really long. Most of us go across the border to CA and pay out of pocket for porn if we need it fast. Don't even get me started on the porn travel insurance I have to buy when I go on vacation.

In Nevada we are required to buy pornography but the socialized porno is pretty low quality. We have a special fund that subsidizes Ron Jeremy but it looks like it will soon eclipse the state's GDP. I have been demanding free porn for years and apparently I qualify but the wait for elective porn is really long. Most of us go across the border to CA and pay out of pocket for porn if we need it fast. Don't even get me started on the porn travel insurance I have to buy when I go on vacation.

:laugh:

Too much.