Will Steve Hahn be fired?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

President Trump will fire the FDA Commissioner before the election

• Yes

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 24 40.0%

• Total voters

Chartreuse Wombat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
Steve is a board-certified Radiation Oncologist...germane...OK but what else we gonna do?

Not before steve helps lobby for the proton APM exception in the works! Then our field welcomes him back with open arms. Thank you for saving protons, daddy

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Will Trump ever allow his doctors to wean him off steroids?

• Haha
Steve should be trying his best to get fired. Only way to resurrect his career.

It largely depends on whether Trump remembers that he was trying to ram through a vaccine before Election Day.

Reactions: 1 user
Not before steve helps lobby for the proton APM exception in the works! Then our field welcomes him back with open arms. Thank you for saving protons, daddy
The only thing I gotta say 'bout that is protons have been lurking in the womb of this rule for 1-2 years. And Steve ain't done diddly squat in that time. Now the baby is essentially 99% of the way out of the birthing canal...

• Haha
The only thing I gotta say 'bout that is protons have been lurking in the womb of this rule for 1-2 years. And Steve ain't done diddly squat in that time. Now the baby is essentially 99% of the way out of the birthing canal...

steve hahn is a late term abortion kind of guy,you’re saying!?

• Haha
1601951768558.png

• Haha
  • Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely. You will see him at ASTRO next yr

Interviewing for chair jobs? Nah. If Steve works as a radiation oncologist again his time at the FDA was wasted. Management at pharma? Consulting/lobbying? Maybe. Chair of a radonc department? Why?

Interviewing for chair jobs? Nah. If Steve works as a radiation oncologist again his time at the FDA was wasted. Management at pharma? Consulting/lobbying? Maybe. Chair of a radonc department? Why?

The guy could write his ticket anywhere.

He can sit in a throne as an overpaid chair somewhere or just get on the pharma teet or lobbying. Guy has better career prospects than I ever will.

I feel bad for the guy. Probably had some dreams about raising the bar for clinical trials, being the first rad onc to have the position, and raising the status of rad onc then COVID + Poltics just punched him in the face.

Relative Risk vs Absolute Risk? Eh Tomato Tomatoe Potato Potatoe, right?

Nah...

No one in the right mind will hire him.
Maybe Evilcore will hire him.

NEJM just pummeled this whole sorry administration. I think he’ll be a bit of a pariah around the university circuit.

Reactions: 2 users
NEJM just pummeled this whole sorry administration. I think he’ll be a bit of a pariah around the university circuit.
45 managed to make everything political when he went anti science it seems. Good read

That being said, i think Hahn is safe wrt his current position

NEJM showing their liberal bias. When will the sheeple wake up and realize that science is just leftist propaganda?

I wish Hahn had been put in a better situation. I would have actually liked to see someone in our specialty succeed in such a prominent role. Unfortunately his tenure will not be looked upon fondly.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
45 managed to make everything political when he went anti science it seems. Good read

That being said, i think Hahn is safe wrt his current position

1602116169640.png

"Hahn's reputation in America has entered Hospice care..." - NEJM

Reactions: 4 users
NEJM showing their liberal bias. When will the sheeple wake up and realize that science is just leftist propaganda?

I wish Hahn had been put in a better situation. I would have actually liked to see someone in our specialty succeed in such a prominent role. Unfortunately his tenure will not be looked upon fondly.
How was Hahn even remotely qualified for the job? like if I decided to be a neurosurgeon tomorrow, wouldn’t work out for pts when it came time to operate..

According to interviews with current and former agency officials, the challenge has been especially complicated because more than any recent commissioner, Hahn has surrounded himself with an insular cadre of advisers, none of whom has significant experience in FDA leadership. A slew of high-level FDA experts have also departed the agency since its former commissioner, Scott Gottlieb, left in early 2019.

How was Hahn even remotely qualified for the job? like if I decided to be a neurosurgeon tomorrow, wouldn’t work out for pts when it came time to operate..

According to interviews with current and former agency officials, the challenge has been especially complicated because more than any recent commissioner, Hahn has surrounded himself with an insular cadre of advisers, none of whom has significant experience in FDA leadership. A slew of high-level FDA experts have also departed the agency since its former commissioner, Scott Gottlieb, left in early 2019.

Classic Peter Principle? I mean how often have we seen this in academic institutions, or really, any sort of company/organization/etc? We see it often in our own environments, but I guess it's rare for us to recognize it on this scale.

By all accounts Hahn seems well-liked in Oncology circles (as much as anyone in leadership can be liked), and he had the appropriate political proclivities...so why not?

It is REALLY unfortunate he came in to this political crisis and global pandemic. I know I, like many RadOncs, was very excited to have "one of us" in such a high profile role.

I know 2020 has been bad for everyone, but sheesh, what a dark year for RadOnc. COVID and the resultant decrease in patient volumes, Hahn pulling his shenanigans, APM announced on September 18th...can we tap out yet? I personally heard of two practices who shut down their hiring search in recent weeks as a result of this stuff.

Reactions: 5 users
I know 2020 has been bad for everyone, but sheesh, what a dark year for RadOnc. COVID and the resultant decrease in patient volumes, Hahn pulling his shenanigans, APM announced on September 18th...can we tap out yet? I personally heard of two practices who shut down their hiring search in recent weeks as a result of this stuff.
We also stopped hiring because of Hahn’s shenanigans. Being fully staffed had nothing to do with it btw.

Will Hahn be on the panel for Astros next “masterclass” in leadership. Can you imagine who would attend it?

• Haha
Will Hahn be on the panel for Astros next “masterclass” in leadership. Can you imagine who would attend it?
I can imagine. Sycophantic medical students, residents and junior faculty hoping for a bump

Hahn can give a lecture in failureship to our Dear Leaders at ASTRO 2021...

• Haha
I can imagine. Sycophantic medical students, residents and junior faculty hoping for a bump

i predict Steve Hahn will be welcomed with open arms by a significant portion (The majority?) of our field within 6 months.

memories of unethical behavior and putting himself before the lives of literally millions of Americans will be short.

but the desire for status, power, and advancement within our small field is huge and that should be obvious to anyone who’s worked closely with any of the “big wigs” or wannabes.

this man should rightly be a pariah for what he’s done. So selfish. So dishonest. So harmful.

shame to anyone who associates with him and rationalizes it away. But it will happen.

I just hope that this board can call out the disgusting self serving individuals who go down that path. I predict a significant number of the vomitous twitteratti.

if these real ethical issues (as opposed to contrived ethics conundrums that somehow get editorials) ever make it to ROHub it will be hilarious to see the censorship that ensues.

will we get editorials or proper guidance from Jagsi and Fumiyoko and other ethical “leaders”’in our field? I predict not. No opportunity for advancement (now that NEJM has already covered Hahn’s reputation all demise outside our field).

shame shame shame

can we please bring back the pillorying and town square stocks for these fools?

hopefully I’m wrong... :(

• Love
From NEJM yesterday

1602256640213.png

Hahn's, and others, approach has spurred a new type of clinical research that leads to NEJM papers: RCTs to evaluate the horse**** from this administration.

I think the Hahn Trump crony donor stuff and his poor performance, willingness to lie and fudge, confusion about RR vs AR, incompetence was just the nail in coffin for the public perception of our field. Oftentimes, trailblazers wether racial or minorities or gender or new category often have to be twice as good to be successful. Unfortunately, he was not even a fourth and thats a great example of priviledge. He will leave with tail in between his legs and be welcome back by the cronies, gaslighters, fudgers who “lead our field” as one of their own. Unfortunately, the public perception leaves lasting damage.

incompetence was just the nail in coffin for the public perception of our field... Unfortunately, the public perception leaves lasting damage.
Not looking forward to brief future interaction/discussion we're all bound to experience one day, especially with another MD: "Nice to meet you. Oh you're a radiation oncologist? Wasn't that Hahn FDA guy a radiation oncologist?" My plan is to go "Oh, no; he was actually a medical oncologist who later just did some brief radiation training" and then put my cell phone to my ear and go "sorry, daughter's calling, catch up with you in a sec" and hope they get confused and forget any followup questions.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Pretty reassuring interview between Dr. Topol and Hahn. Topol gives the highlights in the tweet thread. Seems like Hahn is redeemed

Somehow I saw this tweet by a radonc at USC (Dr Ye).
I wonder if Dr Ye was on drug(s) lol?

Let me translate this:

“Lickspittle social climber, unqualified for position for which he paid with hefty campaign contributions, turns on his vile boss as soon as he realizes Trump will likely lose election.”

• Haha
Let me translate this:

“Lickspittle social climber, unqualified for position for which he paid with hefty campaign contributions, turns on his vile boss as soon as he realizes Trump will likely lose election.”
Who isn't, these days.... Guess some people needed to see it up close before deciding to take action

More of a scorpion and frog parable, IMO.

Azar is a pharma exec. It's his nature.

Hahn should absolutely be trying to get fired- best way to salvage his career. If I were him, i would call azar every 5 minutes and tell him to go f himself

And if Azar had any intelligence he'd be trying to distance himself from the administration. Siding with science, and all that.

Hopefully November 3rd blows him out and the APM with him.

How telling is it that Azar still has a job, when this is his issue with Stevie boy:

" The discussions come amid deep frustration with Hahn over his insistence that a Covid-19 vaccine meet strict safety standards — a contentious decision that rendered it impossible for President Donald Trump to fulfill his oft-expressed desire for a vaccine just before Election Day. "

I'm on Team Hahn again. At least I'm siding with Hahn if its vs Azar and Trump. Standing up for science and safety - seems he was shamed by Eric Topol and his gaffe about risk reduction enough to potentially regain some testicular fortitude.... or maybe he is low-key planning to get fired to salvage a reputation.

If “dear leader” wins, there is expected to be a bloodbath of firings which include FBI director, FDA, Fauci, Barr.