Will the applicant pool be different due to COVID?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lebjames2313

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had wanted to know your thoughts on how COVID will be affecting this cycle's applicant pool. Since many people's MCAT had to have been reschedule till after May and some people cannot do activities they had previously hoped, will there be less applicants this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you think so?

I don't know for sure, but some possible reasons:
- People had more time at home to prepare and submit applications.
- A worldwide health crisis encouraged people to search for jobs in the medical field.
- The poor economy caused people to look for more stable career paths.
- People aren't eager to enter the job market right out of undergrad with how bad unemployment is right now.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know for sure, but some possible reasons:
- People had more time at home to prepare and submit applications.
- A worldwide health crisis encouraged people to search for jobs in the medical field.
- The poor economy caused people to look for more stable career paths.
- People aren't eager to enter the job market right out of undergrad with how bad unemployment is right now.

That's kind of dumb though... It's hard to imagine that people not originally set on a medical career would be like "oh, a bad economy, let's be a doctor" all of a sudden.

Reactions: 2 users
That's kind of dumb though... It's hard to imagine that people not originally set on a medical career would be like "oh, a bad economy, let's be a doctor" all of a sudden.

It's not people deciding all of a sudden, it's people who were considering taking a gap year deciding to apply this year instead of next. This is just speculation though, I don't know if that'll have an impact.

I'd say less if anything. Difficulty taking the MCAT's, less opportunities for volunteering with closures. People who already had their stuff together and re-applying should be in a good position IMO. Ill be reapplying DO, and am hoping for it at least lol