Will the holidays delay Step 1 Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medical Warrior

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
If I take my step on December 14th, 2017. When will I be getting my score? Jan 3rd, 10th, or 17th, 2018? It should be 3rd but with the holidays will I get pushed back 1 or 2 weeks.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Since the Wednesdays are not holidays this year Wed Dec 20th, Wed Dec 27, Wed Jan 3rd there may be no delays. If a Wednesday falls on a day they are closed then there is a delay by a week. In a previous thread there was a year when they had 2 Wednesdays fall on a Christmas and one on a New Year holiday so then scores were delayed by 2 weeks for them. Also NBME is not closed for the 1st 2 weeks of January (that is prometric centers only) so scores are still released Jan 3rd, Jan. 10th. Dec 27th should also see score releases since it is not an NBME holiday. Note that NBME celebrates New Year day on Jan 2nd so luckily Wednesday is the Jan 3rd and should not impact the score release

Reactions: 2 users
Since the Wednesdays are not holidays this year Wed Dec 20th, Wed Dec 27, Wed Jan 3rd there may be no delays. If a Wednesday falls on a day they are closed then there is a delay by a week. In a previous thread there was a year when they had 2 Wednesdays fall on a Christmas and one on a New Year holiday so then scores were delayed by 2 weeks for them. Also NBME is not closed for the 1st 2 weeks of January (that is prometric centers only) so scores are still released Jan 3rd, Jan. 10th. Dec 27th should also see score releases since it is not an NBME holiday. Note that NBME celebrates New Year day on Jan 2nd so luckily Wednesday is the Jan 3rd and should not impact the score release

thank you so much :) I will make my school's deadline

thank you so much :) I will make my school's deadline

I cannot guarantee this will happen, take this advice as a strangers reasoning on the interwebs. I think you will make the deadline, but it is risky being around the holidays if you have a specific deadline.

That being said I took Step 1 right right before new years last year and if my memory serves me right I believe my result came back by the 3rd Wednesday. Anyways, a higher score is more important than a deadline :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I took my exam on the 29th of November.
Should I be expecting my score to be out on the 20th of December (3rd Wednesday)?

Thanks

Oh wow! Hope you got your dream score! If you don't mind me asking, which nbme/uswa predicted best for You?
I actually didn’t. I was extremely disappointed with my score. Not a single nbme was predictive for me. My lowest was a 242 and highest was 250. I ended up getting a 239. But it is what it is, hoping I can pull myself back up stronger for step 2 ck.

I actually didn’t. I was extremely disappointed with my score. Not a single nbme was predictive for me. My lowest was a 242 and highest was 250. I ended up getting a 239. But it is what it is, hoping I can pull myself back up stronger for step 2 ck.
Damn! 239 is a great score but I understand your disappointment because the predictive scores must have given you another picture. I'm recently seeing a trend (this month specially) where people are getting lower than their NBME scores. It's so scary!
And of course you can pull up your scores a lot more for step 2 ck. Good luck with it!

Nope :-( I took step 3 Dec 1/dec 4, so I was hoping fo a score, but it looks as thought there actually was a holiday delay after all, from what I can tell.
Did your scheduling permit disappear yesterday?
I took step 3 same days you did and scheduling permit still there

Last edited:

I took my test on December 18th . It was a monday. I was hoping to recieved my score today. But It seems that I'll have to wait until next week...