Will the MCAT make me or break me, you ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelesspremed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nope...

I'm writing this as advise for all of you guys who are going to take the MCAT soon. A year ago I was in your shoes...about to start preparing for the MCAT...worrying if I will be able to do well...if I will get into med school..

Well I studied as hard as I could, did NOT get the "magical" 30...

And here I am, a year later already holding more than one acceptance to a good medical school.

Just study your hardest guys, practice a lot, and even if you're not at all happy with your score, and if all of your friends do better than you...just have faith in admissions commitees...they too were once in your shoes and chances are if you deserve to be a doctor and have showed it in other ways, you'll be just fine

good luck to all MCATers though!

Members don't see this ad.

cluelesspremed said:
Nope...

I'm writing this as advise for all of you guys who are going to take the MCAT soon. A year ago I was in your shoes...about to start preparing for the MCAT...worrying if I will be able to do well...if I will get into med school..

And here I am, a year later already holding more than one acceptance to a good medical school.

Just study your hardest guys, practice a lot, and even if you're not at all happy with your score, and if all of your friends do better than you...just have faith in admissions commitees...they too were once in your shoes and chances are if you deserve to be a doctor and have showed it in other ways, you'll be just fine

congrats!! so what did you get?

cluelesspremed said:
Nope...

i dont know
i want to trust you OP
but ur SN is clueless
im scared again...

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol. I have heard of people with 36 being shot down from their local school, while people with 27 getting early an admission from the same school, the same year.

Maybe you had a good interview. Bottom line, admission = MCAT + interview...not one without the other (well in some cases anyways).

I agree to an extent, but you do have to get a high enough MCAT score to get that interview. Hense my problem, with my whopping 23Q. I've gotten 2 pre-secondary rejections, and I'm sure it is a numbers thing (ie I didn't make their cut-off). But I have gotten a couple of screened secondaries, so some schools look at the whole applicant, and I'm sure it's in the realm of feasibility that I could get accepted somewhere. But I definitely wish I had the "magical" 30! :)

Khenon said:
I agree to an extent, but you do have to get a high enough MCAT score to get that interview. Hense my problem, with my whopping 23Q. I've gotten 2 pre-secondary rejections, and I'm sure it is a numbers thing (ie I didn't make their cut-off). But I have gotten a couple of screened secondaries, so some schools look at the whole applicant, and I'm sure it's in the realm of feasibility that I could get accepted somewhere. But I definitely wish I had the "magical" 30! :)

Khenon, I've got my fingers crossed for you. Please keep me posted! :)

evajaclynn said:
Khenon, I've got my fingers crossed for you. Please keep me posted! :)

Thanks eva! Believe it or not, KU is my big hope right now! If you hear something that sounds like screaming, coming from Minnesota . . . it's me learning that I got an interview at KU. :laugh: I'm hoping my application will be complete sometime next week (assuming my LOR's are on top of it), so maybe I'll hear something by December. We'll see . . .

Hey guys....

Well, Diesel I started out clueless a year ago before taking my MCATs but I've got much more of a clue as to what I'm doing now, please don't make me change my name just to justify that :laugh:

If you want my exact stats just PM me, but yeah my GPA was a bit above average and my major was in the liberal arts and in hindsight, that brings up a good point....you dont have to be the best at everything, but what you do think you stand out w/...emphasize it...

and yeah i think i had good interviews because i feel i did that. why are you diffferent than everyone else? if you say you're not...maybe try to do some soul searching and ask yourself ..well, what is it about you that you think could possibly help you stand out.

that's what i did. play your strenghts and your weaknesses (ie. my mcat) were not once mentioned.

and yeah, my best bud got a 34 and is still in limbo w/ no acceptances and only a few interviews...

so guys have faith, do as well as you can do, but just remmeber that adcoms look at you as a whole and when presenting yourself, you should do so as well..

good luck!

p.s.

guys i'm not writing this to get any congrats...but because i remmeber how devastated i was after getting my mcat score and having it be lower than ALL of my friends'.

i'm just tryin to root you guys on and lettin you know if you need any advise to feel free to PM me

and i'm just trying to give you guys advise that people always told me was useless....

that its the applicant as a whole that counts...everyone played that off and said "no way, man w/out a good mcat you can be the president of your university student government and not get in..."

and im sure you guys will get the same kinda pressure about how the mcat will make or break you...i just wanted to try to ease the pressure off of you guys and let u know that u should just be yourself and have faith...

the best of luck (again)