Will the recent Baltimore riot negatively affect JHU's student selection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stevebrown1022

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would think more students would be cautious/concerned about the living environment in Baltimore.
What's your take on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a legitimate question?

Reactions: 1 user
JHU has a sterling reputation for being a top public health school in the U.S.. So, I think the school will always get high caliber applicants. Nonetheless, on this board in the past there have been people who were put-off by the neighbors surrounding JHU, and a small percentage have probably gone elsewhere due to this fact. JHU has in recent years taken an interest in helping to revitalizing areas of the city near the school, perhaps half-social consciousness, and perhaps half to make the area around the school more appealing to students/employees.

The riots aren't a selling point for the school, obviously, but media hype aside they weren't nearly as bad as others riots have been. Personally, I'd apply to JHU without considering the neighborhood issue (or perception of a neighborhood issue), and then if I got in and decided to go, I'd ask other students how to navigate the city safely and where to reside.

From a public health perspective, there are a lot of pressing public health issues in Baltimore itself, such as a very high concentration of HIV+ people, as well as poverty, and probably a myriad of other issues. A pertinent question would address JHU role in the surrounding city, is JHU the isolated ivory tower, or are there related projects in Baltimore for JHU public health students?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No. If so, those people probably need to find a different career field.

Reactions: 3 users
I would think more students would be cautious/concerned about the living environment in Baltimore.
What's your take on this?
Civil unrest doesn't diminish JHU's #1 US News ranking. I imagine those who are admitted might be more cautious about where they choose to live (perhaps avoiding the areas impacted the hardest) but I don't think it is going to deter any applicants. Baltimore has consistently had high violent crime rates (some of the worst in the nation) and I don't think that's decreased the number of applicants.