MPH UNC vs Johns Hopkins (JHU) MPH (networking/career opportunites)

Started by pubhlther
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pubhlther

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would do an epidemiology concentration at either one. While there are lots of factors in this decision, I'd like to get folks' perspectives on a few topics:
  • Hopkins students seem to be much more impressive/diverse/experienced than those that I would meet in my UNC classes, potentially providing much richer opportunities for networking (this is based on admitted student facebook groups). Thoughts?
  • Hopkins is clearly the largest and most well-funded public health institution, with so many centers and departments it makes my head spin! But realistically, would this matter in an 11-month program where I wouldn't have that much time to meaningfully engage anyway?
  • Will I regret turning down the Hopkins name? Will it really open more career opportunites than UNC?

Thanks for your input!!!
 
I would do an epidemiology concentration at either one. While there are lots of factors in this decision, I'd like to get folks' perspectives on a few topics:
  • Hopkins students seem to be much more impressive/diverse/experienced than those that I would meet in my UNC classes, potentially providing much richer opportunities for networking (this is based on admitted student facebook groups). Thoughts?
  • Hopkins is clearly the largest and most well-funded public health institution, with so many centers and departments it makes my head spin! But realistically, would this matter in an 11-month program where I wouldn't have that much time to meaningfully engage anyway?
  • Will I regret turning down the Hopkins name? Will it really open more career opportunites than UNC?

Thanks for your input!!!


Where did you end up going?