• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
May 4, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I would do an epidemiology concentration at either one. While there are lots of factors in this decision, I'd like to get folks' perspectives on a few topics:
  • Hopkins students seem to be much more impressive/diverse/experienced than those that I would meet in my UNC classes, potentially providing much richer opportunities for networking (this is based on admitted student facebook groups). Thoughts?
  • Hopkins is clearly the largest and most well-funded public health institution, with so many centers and departments it makes my head spin! But realistically, would this matter in an 11-month program where I wouldn't have that much time to meaningfully engage anyway?
  • Will I regret turning down the Hopkins name? Will it really open more career opportunites than UNC?

Thanks for your input!!!

Feb 19, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
I would do an epidemiology concentration at either one. While there are lots of factors in this decision, I'd like to get folks' perspectives on a few topics:
  • Hopkins students seem to be much more impressive/diverse/experienced than those that I would meet in my UNC classes, potentially providing much richer opportunities for networking (this is based on admitted student facebook groups). Thoughts?
  • Hopkins is clearly the largest and most well-funded public health institution, with so many centers and departments it makes my head spin! But realistically, would this matter in an 11-month program where I wouldn't have that much time to meaningfully engage anyway?
  • Will I regret turning down the Hopkins name? Will it really open more career opportunites than UNC?

Thanks for your input!!!

Where did you end up going?

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.