Will the residencies such Esthetic, Digital, and Operative Dentistry grant working license without the 2 years advance standing program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dante72

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I am a foreign trained dentist, and don't have a US dental license to work. I was wondering if I complete these programs that are called Esthetic, Digital, and Operative Dentistry, OR Implant Dentistry, can I start working without finishing the 2 years advanced standing program?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless it's one of the residencies recognized by the ADA and CODA, which I believe these are not, then no, you will need to enter PASS. I believe these are just certificates you can get, and are not recognized specialties like Endo, Prosth, Perio, OMS, Anesthesia, Ortho, Peds, Oral Facial Pain, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, Dental Public Health

Reactions: 1 user
Unless it's one of the residencies recognized by the ADA and CODA, which I believe these are not, then no, you will need to enter PASS. I believe these are just certificates you can get, and are not recognized specialties like Endo, Prosth, Perio, OMS, Anesthesia, Ortho, Peds, Oral Facial Pain, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, Dental Public Health

Thank you sir!

I'm sorry but I'm confused, I found these programs in the ADEA PASS program search. Won't that be enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you sir!

I'm sorry but I'm confused, I found these programs in the ADEA PASS program search. Won't that be enough?
Ah, they might be a general practice residency or advanced education in general dentistry? I found a link online that I think could help you. It seems like you could do these residencies without having to do a 2 year PASS program, however, you will be severely limited to where you can apply to as well as practice without having a formal DDS/DMD degree from a US accredited school.

Hope this helps!

Hello all
I am a foreign trained dentist, and don't have a US dental license to work. I was wondering if I complete these programs that are called Esthetic, Digital, and Operative Dentistry, OR Implant Dentistry, can I start working without finishing the 2 years advanced standing program?
I think you need a DDS/DMD to even be considered for those fellowship programs

Ah, they might be a general practice residency or advanced education in general dentistry? I found a link online that I think could help you. It seems like you could do these residencies without having to do a 2 year PASS program, however, you will be severely limited to where you can apply to as well as practice without having a formal DDS/DMD degree from a US accredited school.

Hope this helps!
This link is really great, thank you.

There is this section here:

Operative Dentistry

and this is the link in the pass

That's why I'm so confused. If I attend this program, can I start working in few states, focusing only on operative dentistry?

I think you need a DDS/DMD to even be considered for those fellowship programs
There is one, Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine, MSD (Master of Science in Dentistry) in Esthetic, Digital, and Operative Dentistry.
"International applicants must submit either the ECE or WES dental school transcript course-by-course translation and evaluation directly through PASS."

It's because it needs to be a recognized specialty by NCRDSCB. Right now, just 12 specialties are officially recognized by US (No digital, no implants). you can go and study them, but it won't get you a license to work.

As a foreign trained dentist, you could get a full license finishing a specialty THAT IS RECOGNIZED in some states. (Like MN or TX) but not all of them... If you want to know more, check every state license requirement, they change state by state.

I am foreign trained dentist doing an AEGD, I'm happy to help if you want more questions.

It's because it needs to be a recognized specialty by NCRDSCB. Right now, just 12 specialties are officially recognized by US (No digital, no implants). you can go and study them, but it won't get you a license to work.

As a foreign trained dentist, you could get a full license finishing a specialty THAT IS RECOGNIZED in some states. (Like MN or TX) but not all of them... If you want to know more, check every state license requirement, they change state by state.

I am foreign trained dentist doing an AEGD, I'm happy to help if you want more questions.
Thank you so much, can I private message you?

The answer is that it would need to be a CODA accredited program which none of those are. Maybe look into an aegd program.