Will there ever be changes to pharmacy licensing in the states?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloridaPharmD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ask this because my friends have an easier time getting their RN and MD licenses than pharmacists do. These MPJE exams are crazy. Would make more sense to have people take a refresher law course like a mini conference than this exam etc.

Has there been any talks of changes at all?

Members don't see this ad.

One thing, this shouldn't be a state regulated profession. It should be federally regulated where you are issued a federal license that allows you to work anywhere in the United States. No more of this bull**** of having to find a license to work in a different state.

Reactions: 5 users
LOL. The MPJE is a cake walk. Know your federal law and study a week for your new state and you’ll be golden. If you’re not sure where to start, RxPrep used to have some good material; haven’t checked it out in quite some time though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe many states have a licensing system where you can work in many states with 1 license as it carries over. Idk much about MD licensing.

The MPJE is easy. My job is having me get several licenses. Soon I'll have 11. Would be nice to not have to go through so many licensing barriers though.

LOL. The MPJE is a cake walk. Know your federal law and study a week for your new state and you’ll be golden. If you’re not sure where to start, RxPrep used to have some good material; haven’t checked it out in quite some time though.

the issue is payment to NABP, application to the state applying for license, scheduling exam that is offered, studying, passing. the process is expensive and long just for a test. i feel this could be done easily in a 1 day CE/CME course with exam at the end of the day or second day on site.

I ask this because my friends have an easier time getting their RN and MD licenses than pharmacists do. These MPJE exams are crazy. Would make more sense to have people take a refresher law course like a mini conference than this exam etc.

I wouldn't say the exams are crazy. The license transfer process is very inconvenient. NABP is making it an online process soon, though. But god knows how long that will actually take them. Of course, they will have to work out the kinks and that will add time.
Did you see what happened during last hurricane season? Texas had to issue temporary licenses to providers -physicians, nurses, pharmacists- in order to get enough help to deal with Harvey's aftermath. It's great that the governor stepped up and made that executive decision. If you look through the NABP CD, you'll see that the differences are banal. So like you said, why not just stick to federal law?

Reactions: 1 user
I believe many states have a licensing system where you can work in many states with 1 license as it carries over. Idk much about MD licensing.

The MPJE is easy. My job is having me get several licenses. Soon I'll have 11. Would be nice to not have to go through so many licensing barriers though.
Under two years ago, you also said that MPJE was difficult in multiple threads. It sounds more like you find them easy because you've taken so many exams vs. it being uniformly easy for first-timers.

Under two years ago, you also said that MPJE was difficult in multiple threads. It sounds more like you find them easy because you've taken so many exams vs. it being uniformly easy for first-timers.
It's easy now that I have taken about 9 of them. The first one felt hard.

Is this for travel Pharmacy?

No, I work mail order and my boss wants us to have multiple licenses in the event that we need to be a backup PIC. Many states mandate that for a remote dispensing pharmacy that the PIC have a license in that state before they will issue a permit.

MPJE was easy. Went to pharmacy school in Illinois, first license in Alabama (all self study), next license in Colorado (self study). All first pass also NAPLEX one test, passed

Go to boards website print out rules regs, go to dea website print out pharmacist manual. Study, study, study. Imagine yourself working and applying rules.

Can also use pronto pass cards but don't rely on them alone

Can't pass the tests shouldn't be practicing.

Um, do you know how many exams MD's/DO's have to take? Their licensing process is definitely not easier.

Yes, I agree that some of the state law exams are far more poorly written than the NAPLEX. But the vast majority of pharmacy graduates do pass them, and a very high majority passes them on the first try. I think it's important for pharmacists to know the law in the state they are practicing, which is why we have to pass a law exam. If any changes need to be made, perhaps a law exam should be added for RN's and MD/DO's, since they certainly should be as aware of the law as pharmacists are.

Hello guys ..... I’m planning to take the MPJE exam with in few weeks any material suggestions plz ????

There is truth to what you are saying. If you think about it, there are however many MPJEs BUT there is only ONE BLUEPRINT - which no one bothers to read and the entire exam comes straight out of that - besides the point.
Naturally, as soon as you take two or three different MPJEs or retake one for a total of two attempts, you start to see patterns. You start to see similar questions for ND, WI, & OH but each state has its own idiosyncrasy in their approach. That's when that CD they give you for graduation that everyone throws away or never opens, becomes really handy. It points out each major area where state law may differ. It's very broad but it can help you better structure your study plan.

Um, do you know how many exams MD's/DO's have to take? Their licensing process is definitely not easier.

Yes, I agree that some of the state law exams are far more poorly written than the NAPLEX. But the vast majority of pharmacy graduates do pass them, and a very high majority passes them on the first try. I think it's important for pharmacists to know the law in the state they are practicing, which is why we have to pass a law exam. If any changes need to be made, perhaps a law exam should be added for RN's and MD/DO's, since they certainly should be as aware of the law as pharmacists are.

Don't they take one? Hmm, it must not be everywhere then. I know that in my state, advance practice nurses do an online "take-home" exam. They have 45 days to complete it. They can log in as many times as they need to and I want to say, they may even be able to resubmit until they pass. I'm not lying. The last part I am not 100% sure about but they can log in as many times as they need to.

NABP loves to get $$$ anyway they can. It is all a racket.

Reactions: 1 user
It will only get worse as advocates in each state become more protective of their grads from their school as saturation worsen.