Will this be a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyfeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

Sorry for the multiple threads :/

I am going to graduate from college in December and am going to apply to optometry this summer. My University has 50,000 students which made my bio 1 class 600 people. After that I took the rest of my classes at community college because it was hard learning tough science classes in a class of 600 people. Will this look bad? Basically at my University I only took the classes I HAD to take there to get my degree and I concurrently took my non-major classes at a local CC near my university. I can't find biochemistry at the CC so that will be the other course I will take at my university. Please let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

It will look like you took pre-req courses at a CC to boost your GPA (which you did).

It won't automatically exclude you from acceptance, only make you look like a slightly weaker candidate.

Hi all:

Sorry for the multiple threads :/

I am going to graduate from college in December and am going to apply to optometry this summer. My University has 50,000 students which made my bio 1 class 600 people. After that I took the rest of my classes at community college because it was hard learning tough science classes in a class of 600 people. Will this look bad? Basically at my University I only took the classes I HAD to take there to get my degree and I concurrently took my non-major classes at a local CC near my university. I can't find biochemistry at the CC so that will be the other course I will take at my university. Please let me know what you think!

No, CC classes are not a problem. SCCO even recommends them.

Members don't see this ad :)
different schools will handle this in different ways. Obviously, the more competitive the applicant pool the deeper they will look at your application. Some schools post rankings for undergraduate institutions so you know they obviously look at things like that when deciding on applicants. With that being said there are programs that don't have a problem with cc classes or online classes. You took all your science pre reqs at a cc? You should maybe take some upper level bio electives at your school(histology, embryology, immunology, etc.) to show you can succeed in tough courses at a 4-year institution. Those classes usually have way less people than a lower level bio or chem class.

Thanks everyone. Besides SCCO, which school don't mind CC credits?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

different schools will handle this in different ways. Obviously, the more competitive the applicant pool the deeper they will look at your application. Some schools post rankings for undergraduate institutions so you know they obviously look at things like that when deciding on applicants. With that being said there are programs that don't have a problem with cc classes or online classes. You took all your science pre reqs at a cc? You should maybe take some upper level bio electives at your school(histology, embryology, immunology, etc.) to show you can succeed in tough courses at a 4-year institution. Those classes usually have way less people than a lower level bio or chem class.

I agree with him in regards that each school handles this matter differently. However, I suggest that you check up on the schools you are applying to and see if they do accept CC credits or not. Generally, most professional schools don't have a problem with prereqs completed at CC assuming that you will continue your studies at a 4 year university and take upper level science courses.

Also, not all upper level classes at the university have small sized classes. I transferred from CC to a 4 year uni this semester and was taking upper level classes (biochem and neuroscience). One class had around 250 students in it and the other had around 3-400 students.

Thanks for the reply. I will be taking Biochem this fall at a 4 year university, however, that will be after I have submitted so will it look okay if I put "Biochem in progress at 4 year instit", will they take that into consideration?

Thanks everyone. Besides SCCO, which school don't mind CC credits?

I really wouldn't take advice from anonymous internet people. I'd call the schools and ask myself.

I really wouldn't take advice from anonymous internet people. I'd call the schools and ask myself.

I find this extremely ironic considering the amount of "advice" you dish out LOL

I find this extremely ironic considering the amount of "advice" you dish out LOL

People don't have to listen to me. I don't care, I think most people don't in fact.

i was thinking the same thing. nowadays it seems like every thread involves shnurek getting owned. then he moves on to the next one only to get owned again. have some self respect and quit while you're behind. werent you just saying the other day that you were gonna take a break? i mean seriously when non-optometry guys are coming on here talking about how theyre fed up with you it should tell you something.

i was thinking the same thing. nowadays it seems like every thread involves shnurek getting owned. then he moves on to the next one only to get owned again. have some self respect and quit while you're behind. werent you just saying the other day that you were gonna take a break? i mean seriously when non-optometry guys are coming on here talking about how theyre fed up with you it should tell you something.

It just means I'm a good troll :)