Will this be enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello all,

So I just recently accepted a clinical research assistant position at a top 20 school for my gap year. I’m graduating a semester early from college this December. So technically I will be at this job for 1.5 yrs. This will be my first research experience. Do you think this would qualify me to apply for top 20 schools that value research? By the time I apply in June, I will have had 6 mo of research hours and then some expected hours for the following year.

For context: I’m URM, 3.82gpa, 517, 300hrs clinical volunteering( I will be getting most of these hours throughout this year and also after I apply as expected hrs), 250 + non clinical volunteering one of which is a community service club I founded that works internationally, 100hrs shadowing, three leadership positions, one summer internship.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

So I just recently accepted a clinical research assistant position at a top 20 school for my gap year. I’m graduating a semester early from college this December. So technically I will be at this job for 1.5 yrs. This will be my first research experience. Do you think this would qualify me to apply for top 20 schools that value research? By the time I apply in June, I will have had 6 mo of research hours and then some expected hours for the following year.

For context: I’m URM, 3.82gpa, 517, 300hrs clinical volunteering( I will be getting most of these hours throughout this year and also after I apply as expected hrs), 250 + non clinical volunteering one of which is a community service club I founded that works internationally, 100hrs shadowing, three leadership positions, one summer internship.

Thanks!

Yea dude.. apply away. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone else think that the fact I'm getting most of my volunteering hrs from this year and the following year as expected will affect my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

Thanks!
What community do you represent?

Hello all,

Thanks!
What do you think @LizzyM ? Any suggestions for a school list? Thanks in advance!

What do you think @LizzyM ? Any suggestions for a school list? Thanks in advance!
I'm not LizzyM but based on your application, listen to Goro and apply anywhere you want. Literally you are competitive for any school, just look at the mission statements of the schools and apply to those that fit your background and appeal to you on location, programs etc. The top schools want research and though you might be light at application, your ongoing research will be good.

I didn’t get that comment. What does it mean?
Sorry, the school Goro means is Washington University in St. Louis - arguably the most competitive school. But I'm not sure if he wrote wash you as joke or if was an auto-correct failure.

Reactions: 1 users
What schools would you suggest? I’m thinking of applying to 20.
Wash you was indeed an auto-correct failure.

I suggest
The HBCs (including UCLA/Drew)
Your state school(s)
Harvard
Yale
Northwestern
all Manhattan Titans
JHU
UCSF
U Chicago
Yale
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Pitt
Mayo
Duke
BU
Case
USC/Keck
U MI
U VA

Reactions: 1 users
Wash you was indeed an auto-correct failure.

I suggest
The HBCs (including UCLA/Drew)
Your state school(s)
Harvard
Yale
Northwestern
all Manhattan Titans
JHU
UCSF
U Chicago
Yale
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Pitt
Mayo
Duke
BU
Case
USC/Keck
U MI
U VA
Thank you for the feedback!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't do lists but if "Wash You" is on Goro's list, I take it that you are golden. Make your list based on what you are looking for in a school vis a vis location, mission, etc.