General Admissions & OTCAS Will this hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MusicalOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a current undergrad, and will be applying to MSOT programs in the 2018/19 cycle. I'm in a bit of a different predicament, because with a decent amount of AP credits and a fairly packed schedule, I'll be finishing my undergrad in 3 year instead of 4. So, I'll be applying to OT programs with all of my prereqs complete EXCEPT for A&P I and II, which I'll be taking during the upcoming fall and spring semesters. I'm a neuroscience major, so my transcript reflects other hard sciences courses, but will my application be tossed aside everywhere if I don't have those 2 courses done at the time of my application? All of my other prereqs will be done at the time of my application, with a prereq GPA ranging from 3.8-4.0 depending on the program, cumulative GPA of 3.7, over 100 shadowing hours, and a good deal of volunteer experience.
I know a lot of the apps aren't looked at until December/January, and by then I will have A&P I done. Has anyone else been in a similar situation to this? Thanks everybody!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I'm a current undergrad, and will be applying to MSOT programs in the 2018/19 cycle. I'm in a bit of a different predicament, because with a decent amount of AP credits and a fairly packed schedule, I'll be finishing my undergrad in 3 year instead of 4. So, I'll be applying to OT programs with all of my prereqs complete EXCEPT for A&P I and II, which I'll be taking during the upcoming fall and spring semesters. I'm a neuroscience major, so my transcript reflects other hard sciences courses, but will my application be tossed aside everywhere if I don't have those 2 courses done at the time of my application? All of my other prereqs will be done at the time of my application, with a prereq GPA ranging from 3.8-4.0 depending on the program, cumulative GPA of 3.7, over 100 shadowing hours, and a good deal of volunteer experience.
I know a lot of the apps aren't looked at until December/January, and by then I will have A&P I done. Has anyone else been in a similar situation to this? Thanks everybody!!
From what I have read, most places only consider you if you have at least one of those A&P courses done before even applying. I'd call the schools to be sure. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted into the MGH doctoral program with both of those still in progress. I think it depends on the school, but I think with all of the other hard sciences you will probably be okay! I got accepted with my second A&P class in progress, and I applied while my first class was in progress. So I think it depends on the rest of your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I’ve seen, it will limit you to where you can apply. That’s usually the one pre-req where at least 4 hours need to be completed. Maybe not impossible, but certainly limited.

Hey! I was in a similar boat. I am actually starting school this fall and taking A&P this summer. I would say that I was really limited in the schools I could apply to (I couldn't apply to a lot of the cheaper public schools), but once I found schools that didnt need A&P for the application, it did not affect my application at all. I am going to BU this fall and I got accepted to Tufts, Columbia, NYU, and University of Indianapolis. Hope that helps!

Hey! I was in a similar boat. I am actually starting school this fall and taking A&P this summer. I would say that I was really limited in the schools I could apply to (I couldn't apply to a lot of the cheaper public schools), but once I found schools that didnt need A&P for the application, it did not affect my application at all. I am going to BU this fall and I got accepted to Tufts, Columbia, NYU, and University of Indianapolis. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much! I was most worried because it seems that A&P are the 'most important' prereqs and I didn't want to waste going through a whole app cycle to be overlooked while those courses are in progress. Best of luck to you at BU this fall!!

Hi all!

It would depend on what schools you are looking at. Most don't want more than 2 classes outstanding. You only have 2, but they are 2 classes that are of high value. I would contact the top schools you are interested in directly. Ask if you are better off applying with or without those two prerequisites complete. Good luck!