Will this kill my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sie_kath

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently struggling with my pre-calculus class and based off my first test, I'll be lucky to get over a B. My goal is a B as of now. Will this be a huge issue in the future when applying to vet school?

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that you don't need straight A++++, but I thought they looked very closely at math and science. Every time I heard an adviser speak they make it sound like if I don't have good math scores, I'm SOL.
You can only get into vet school with straight A+++ and a 5.6 GPA. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
They do care about math and science, but a few sub-B grades here and there aren't going to ruin your chances. Personally, I think it's more important to do really well in science, specifically biological sciences, since that's the foundation of the veterinary curriculum.

Every time I heard an adviser speak they make it sound like if I don't have good math scores, I'm SOL.

I would be careful thinking too much about what an advisor says. They're frequently not admissions people, veterinary professionals, etc. and their understanding of things is sometimes incongruent with reality. I was told by my freshman advisor that you have to be a pre-vet club officer to get into vet school. That wasn't true nearly 10 years ago and it isn't true today.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the pre-calc for? Most of the vet schools require college algebra and/or stats as a pre-req, not calc. Maybe things have changed though. The physics was also algebra/trig based, so no need to get into the more concentrated mathematics side of it. Not that there is anything wrong with doing it if you like those classes or have it as part of your major.

I'm currently struggling with my pre-calculus class and based off my first test, I'll be lucky to get over a B. My goal is a B as of now. Will this be a huge issue in the future when applying to vet school?
I got straight Cs throughout organic chemistry and biochem, and plenty of B's in my other science classes and was accepted my first try. They look at the overall package, one or two B's won't kill you ;)

No one truly knows what vet schools really want or what things outweigh other things. I had a 4.0 for my science GPA, 3.96 overall, and I was rejected to my home state school. I have friends that got into my home state school with much lower GPAs and more experience. Some of those same friends got rejected to places I was accepted, though. You are NEVER out of the running (as long as you meet the minimal requirements)!!! But apply to a lot of schools! It makes your chances of getting in a lot higher! and especially apply to some of the island schools! I know a lot of people had good results applying to those! :) Good luck!

No. Also, not all schools specifically require pre-calc. It seems like most schools give you a bit of leeway when it comes to math courses (ex.: Algebra and Trig or pre-calc or calc). When that's the case, if you have taken multiple math courses, they usually take whichever courses have the highest grades that also meet their requirements. Browse through some of the pre-reqs for the schools you're interested in and see what they require.

TL;DR: A B wouldn't be an issue in the first place.
No one truly knows what vet schools really want or what things outweigh other things. I had a 4.0 for my science GPA, 3.96 overall, and I was rejected to my home state school. I have friends that got into my home state school with much lower GPAs and more experience. Some of those same friends got rejected to places I was accepted, though. You are NEVER out of the running (as long as you meet the minimal requirements)!!! But apply to a lot of schools! It makes your chances of getting in a lot higher! and especially apply to some of the island schools! I know a lot of people had good results applying to those! :) Good luck!
I disagree with the "apply to a lot of schools suggestion." It's very, very costly for starters. Also, it's best to apply smarter, not harder. Save your money and take the time to pick the schools you are best suited for (and that are best suited for you), and you'll likely do better than if you were to throw Hail Mary passes to random schools. Not to mention interview costs/conflicts, not even liking the school itself, etc.

Last edited:
I disagree with the "apply to a lot of schools suggestion." It's very, very costly for starters. Also, it's best to apply smarter, not harder. Save your money and take the time to pick the schools you are best suited for (and that are best suited for you), and you'll likely do well when applying.

I know it costs a lot, thats why I didn't apply for many schools, but for my friends who struggled to keep a high GPA, it helped them a lot. You may think you are best suited for certain schools but like I said, in reality you don't know what the school wants. Obviously don't apply to schools that you would never actually want to go to, that is just a waste of money. But to each his own. :) I applied to four schools, and while I am happy where I ended up (everything happens for a reason) I regret not applying to more schools so that I had a few more options.

I'm trying to wipe off the sugar coating here. Getting into vet school is hard. You may not get in where you want to go. The feeling of rejection sucks, and it sucks a lot worse if you get rejected to all the places you apply to because you minimized your chances. Money is an issue though, and I can totally see that; trust me it was/is for me, too!

Just be smart and do what you think is best for you! :)

I understand that you don't need straight A++++, but I thought they looked very closely at math and science. Every time I heard an adviser speak they make it sound like if I don't have good math scores, I'm SOL.

I was making a joke and being sarcastic. We get quite a few of these similar questions. What everyone else said is correct. One B is not going to ruin your chances of vet school. Heck one C won't. Heck, two C's won't. Just as long as the C's and B's don't become a habit and you show later on in your college career that you can hack A's in your upper level sciences, you will be fine.

I had 4 C's and got in, so it's definitely possible! Mine were in the beginning and my grades improved as I went which helps, plus I didn't ignore them. I talked about them in my essay and explained that it just took me the first year to "figure out" college. I knew my grades were lower than most, so I made up for it with ALOT of veterinary experience and alot of really amazing references. It's really all in what that particular school is looking for that year.

I had 4 C's and got in, so it's definitely possible! Mine were in the beginning and my grades improved as I went which helps, plus I didn't ignore them. I talked about them in my essay and explained that it just took me the first year to "figure out" college. I knew my grades were lower than most, so I made up for it with ALOT of veterinary experience and alot of really amazing references. It's really all in what that particular school is looking for that year.
Heck, I had C's towards the end of my undergrad. I didn't get into my IS, but I got accepted everywhere else I applied my second cycle. The only difference between my two attempts was how much more experience I had the second time.

I would be careful thinking too much about what an advisor says. They're frequently not admissions people, veterinary professionals, etc. and their understanding of things is sometimes incongruent with reality. I was told by my freshman advisor that you have to be a pre-vet club officer to get into vet school. That wasn't true nearly 10 years ago and it isn't true today.

Yes definitely beware of what advisers tell you. I had a jerk botany professor tell me that I probably wouldn't get into vet school because I don't have a 4.0. While he was saying this I was fighting the urge to punch him in the mouth and thinking to myself: "Dude you study plants, and you have no idea what you are talking about." In general, if you are in an animal science program you can usually put more trust into what your adviser says. Animal science folks have stronger ties to the veterinary field than biologists, and no more about what is involved and required to get into vet school.

You want to know what would KILL your chances.
KILLING someone. That's about it for that category though.

So my advice, avoid homicide.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You want to know what would KILL your chances.
KILLING someone. That's about it for that category though.

So my advice, avoid homicide.

Ya know, I'm not even sure that would do it.
Better advice: don't commit homicide and then in your personal statement, refer to it as "the most exciting moment in your life" and compare the adrenaline surge to that of a vet student on testing day - "all you want is to feel that adrenaline again and you think being a vet student is the best way to achieve that."

Reactions: 2 users