Will this screw me over when I apply for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windom Earle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone.

I was attending a Caribbean med school this Fall when a CAT 5 hurricane came and destroyed the island. Students were evacuated and classes have still not resumed even though it has been over a month now.

I am choosing to withdraw to pursue podiatry. I will get a W on my record because of this. I didn't think much of it but NOW...

I applied to NYCPM for their January class and got in. Will I have to report this W when I apply for PODIATRIC residencies?

Someone please explain.

I like the username. Twin Peaks is a great show. :)

You may need to report it, but I suspect your podiatry grades and board score will matter more. So long as you have a good explanation for it and it wasn't due to something like academic issues (which it apparently isn't), I wouldn't think it would be a big issue. So far as I know, your performance in clinic is one of the important factors anyhow. Just make sure you actually want to do Podiatry - I know you've already been accepted but it's a bit different from going to an MD school.

Rather than take my word for it though, since I'm just a nobody on a message board, I'd ask the school or contact a few programs to get their input.

I don't think it will.

Should you list it? Yes - CASPR gives you the opportunity to list universities attended (scroll to the bottom)

CASPR Application Part I

Will anyone care? I doubt it. Essentially, you'll go through a strange abbreviated process during 3rd year where you arrange 4th year rotations. The programs don't know you and are inundated with applications. Perhaps there is someone out there who has time to read these applications, but I don't think most do which is why GPA/class rank/school is probably the most important part of securing clerkships. With nothing else to go on, sometimes programs just look at people's number (this is entirely anecdotal, but my limited experience with selecting clerkships was that students with higher GPAs filled their spots more quickly). You'll rotate at programs and hopefully impress. During the middle of 4th year you'll "designate" programs ie. you'll ask programs you've already "clerked" at, visited, or are interested in for the right to an interview and for the possibility to match there. You'll interview and then match or scramble.

Long story short - do well in school to secure clerkships and then do well in person during your months to secure your interviews and a program. Strong students are often offered programs while visiting. I have spent zero time looking back through the resumes of students I liked/was impressed by during their clerkship.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about that. A hurricane destroying your school seems like a pretty good reason to have a W. Just make sure you really want to do podiatry like the above people said. It's a great career but you don't want to have to switch careers again midway through school. Keep your GPA up and bass boards and people won't care about a W

Reactions: 1 users