Will this seriously injure me in the application process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RTC19

Hello,

I was hoping to solicit your advice on whether or not this will hurt me in my medical school applications and if so, how seriously.

My freshman year of college, I started at University A. I have a neurological disorder that I was having a really rough summer with prior to the start of my freshman year. My mom suggested that I take a year off from the get go, but I didn't listen and started college anyway. That was a poor decision. I was so, so sick and wound up taking a medical withdrawal after a week at that university. I was sick to the point that it was basically withdraw or risk failing out, so I took the lesser of two evils and withdrew. It played no part in my decision to take an MW, but I really wasn't too fond of that school so I decided to apply other places for the following year. I got in somewhere, and am currently attending University B.

I assume that you are required to report all institutions attended with the dates you were there on your AMCAS. On a scale of 1-10, how bad does it look that I bailed on my university after a week and then never came back, even though I did it for very legitimate reasons?

Thank you.

P.S. It likely does not matter, but I medically withdrew within the drop/add period.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you even have a transcript from University A? If not, I don't think you have to report it. Someone back me up or correct me.

Do you even have a transcript from University A? If not, I don't think you have to report it. Someone back me up or correct me.

No, I do not have a transcript from University A.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I do not have a transcript from University A.
Did you check with the university, as in did you request your transcript from them, or are you assuming you don't have one? If the former, you are safe not to report attending there, but if the latter, you need to make sure before you fail to include them on your med school applications. Even if you have to include it, you won't have a serious ding on your record, as long as your grades at school B are good and your medical issues are fully under control.

Are you sure there is no transcript? If you have time, order one for yourself as a test. Regardless you have a simple explanation.

This will in no way harm you.

Hello,

I was hoping to solicit your advice on whether or not this will hurt me in my medical school applications and if so, how seriously.

My freshman year of college, I started at University A. I have a neurological disorder that I was having a really rough summer with prior to the start of my freshman year. My mom suggested that I take a year off from the get go, but I didn't listen and started college anyway. That was a poor decision. I was so, so sick and wound up taking a medical withdrawal after a week at that university. I was sick to the point that it was basically withdraw or risk failing out, so I took the lesser of two evils and withdrew. It played no part in my decision to take an MW, but I really wasn't too fond of that school so I decided to apply other places for the following year. I got in somewhere, and am currently attending University B.

I assume that you are required to report all institutions attended with the dates you were there on your AMCAS. On a scale of 1-10, how bad does it look that I bailed on my university after a week and then never came back, even though I did it for very legitimate reasons?

Thank you.

P.S. It likely does not matter, but I medically withdrew within the drop/add period.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

Thank you.

This is a 100% legit explanation of your sequence of events... no need to be worried about it IMO. Plenty of people would choose not to go back to University A simply because they wouldn't want to associate their memories with *insert condition* with their learning environment. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Did you check with the university, as in did you request your transcript from them, or are you assuming you don't have one? If the former, you are safe not to report attending there, but if the latter, you need to make sure before you fail to include them on your med school applications. Even if you have to include it, you won't have a serious ding on your record, as long as your grades at school B are good and your medical issues are fully under control.

Are you sure there is no transcript? If you have time, order one for yourself as a test. Regardless you have a simple explanation.

I wasn't willing to spend the five dollars to order a transcript, so I contacted the Registrar at University A, who informed me that because I left within the drop/add period, there is no transcript in my name.

This will in no way harm you.

This is a 100% legit explanation of your sequence of events... no need to be worried about it IMO. Plenty of people would choose not to go back to University A simply because they wouldn't want to associate their memories with *insert condition* with their learning environment. Best of luck!

Thank you so much. I cannot tell you how much appreciate the help/reassurance.

Reactions: 1 user
Well it is not an issue because there is no transcript. Sleep well tonight.

If there had been a transcript with an entire semester of MW (medical withdraw), it would not be an issue if you said, "I became seriously ill during my first few weeks of school and I was unable to complete the semester." Whether you left that school for another school or not, this medical withdrawal would not have hurt you even if you had to report it.

Reactions: 1 users