will this undergo E1,E2,SN1, or SN2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
n797488355_1862715_4463.jpg

I was wondering which reaction will this undergo.

It doesn't have aprotic but I think that doesn't mean it's impossible to undergo SN2.

it has small unhindered base/nucleophile so I think E2 is not an answer.

It has strong base/nucleophile that prefers SN2 and E2.

it has protic that prefers SN1 and E1.

I don't know which one it is.

Members don't see this ad.

E2 since it's a strong base which creates a pi bond that is conjugated with the ring system.

e2. it has a very strong nucleophile so on a secondary halide e2 will be prefered.

But shouldn't it be hindered base to make it E2?
Ethoxide is an unhindered base/nucleophile.

I thought that
strong base/nucleophile = both SN2 and E2
but if it's hindered = E2
if not hindered = SN2

Members don't see this ad :)
I think E1/E2 because it is in the benzylic position. The carbocation is VERY stable because of the aromatic ring. I don't think you can say E2 and not E1 despite the strong base.

If you enter any chemistry laboratory, and ask the TA or researchers to define which mechanism a reaction will undergo or describe the different mechanisms. You will get an array of answers. yes this is an predominantly E2 reaction, however because there is a lack of heat, you can just as easy argue an sn1 due to stabilization of the carbocation by the benzene ring (resonance stabilized). However, in a lab you will end up with both mixtures and obviously due to the fact that we have a secondary carbon the major product will be a zeitsev << I think i speeled that wrong, Alkene. Here this chart helped me out alot in orgoI. Hope this helps. :)

Attachments

• SN1SN2E1E2.pdf
    38.2 KB · Views: 126