will training in france help me get work in canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maple07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I had a few q's about Canada that I hope someone can answer.

Here's the deal. I applied for immigration to Canada last May from my home consulate in Cairo, Egypt. Under the new system, they won't review my documents for about 2 years, and I won't be able to do the landing before 3 years - minimum, I believe! - have passed. I passed the MCCEE during my internship year but couldn't apply for immigration before last May, when I finished one more year of paid work, barely scoring 68 points for immigration.
The thing is, if I have to do a five year residency in Canada, but not before 3 years into the future (if I even get the residency), I'll be ancient before I'm fully licensed (I'm already getting neurology residency training). Yes, I know that there's Return of Service etc., but success rates at getting those posts seem even lower than getting regular residencies, which are very low to begin with.

I would apply for USMLE, but I don't have the money.

So here's the gist of my question: is it possible to do residency (or hey, even internship) training in France, would that training be accredited in Canada, would it allow me to enter a residency in Canada in PGY3 (or at least not PGY1), and would it significantly improve my chances of getting a residency as compared to my training in Cairo?

Note that I don't speak French, but I do have some background in the language and am sure I could pick it up quickly. I also have family in France, and could join in the family business there as a GP, but that's not my intended path.

It's important to me to know if this will help with Canada later on. I want to train in France (and possibly do my masters as it's really cheap there), but not to immigrate there or work after residency. I was also thinking that maybe training in France would give me the option of working anywhere in Canada; I'm already extremely fluent in English and would also have French (not to mention Arabic) on my side.

Well, sorry for rambling, but I hope someone can help out.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I would seriously consider the demands of doing a residency in a LANGUAGE YOU DON'T SPEAK. You'll fail! Yes, you can "pick up" languages fast (I myself speak a few), but you are talking about having to read and discuss some really dense topics in a language you don't know, not chatting with someone at the bar. That's just impossible. Why don't you just take some French classes to boost your points?

In regards to whether French residency training is more legitimate than Egyptian, I don't know...I would contact the licensing boards.

I dont think the pg training in France is recognized in Canada. Contact the Royal College to be sure.

Also, speaking french or not, wont help you in any way. Unless you want to work in Quebec.